Anybody Like Winter Camping?

Creek

Aug 28, 2003
In the U.S.A..
I like going up by Canada.....and hiking in with sled to some remote lakes...either by ski,or snowshoe..and pull my gear behind me...and also beer...Anyways..I build a snow shelter...and set it up..nice and cozy...I always bring likea roast...or something hardy to cook...I don't rough it when it comes to not eating right...especialy the effort,and calories one burns hiking in,not to mention pulling a 60 pound sled.........The shelter when heated stays a constant 50-60 degrees inside...at night I shut down the stove....but my goose down bags go down to 90 below zero..:)

Winter camping is the most peaceful experince one can imagine.....The smell of the pine,and only eveidnce of tracks in the snow...occasionaly you see a wolf cut accross the lake,and often hear them howel in the night....The stars are alive at night...........

I love to cook..but it's easier precooking all the food,and reheating your meals while winter camping...ooh man..I did burritos the last time,roasts..chicken...You name it!...Ya also ice fish too....It's always a rush walking on frozen lakes with no tracks upon them..and you're the only one that will fish the lake that winter..(remote)......Of course..you have a chissel...and every few feet do 2-3 good wacks....the chissel is razor sharp..and weighs 14 pounds.......3 inches is plenty safe to walk on..but gives you the willies..cause it makes cracks..and an area can sink around you..and you think you're going through.......:)

Ice is safe ...just early ice ya gota be careful...What's nice aboout lakes alot people fish each winter..is there's always the first guy who takes his chance..and ya see his ass out there.....If your in deep..and it's remote..you be very careful.....I've been on one lake the dam ice was not more than 2 inches..and not solid ice either...Here I'm fishing on my bucking...look over 20 feet..and water is streaming outa of a hole in the ice....it was like what the f_ck?...With all my gear..and me myself was 250lbs on the ice..There was a spring 20 feet over...Ice bends in big sheets also...I was caught off guard...I was also glad I didnt walk over there to drill a hole...:)....Water kept comming up..like a dam gusher..and I was an inch deep in it by the time I realed in my line..to high tail my ass off the lake.....I heard a dam crack..as I sliped like a hockey player on ice..and hit hard......The last thoughts were I'm gona slide into a big ass hole..and the ice will fold back up......"I said.."Jesus Crist"......got my soaked ass back up...and moved like the wind off that lake...and cussing...the ice cracking every step I took back...I died a 1000 times walking off that lake..and even yelled out in panic also on one of the big heaves..(ice sink).......I was very greatful to reach shore....I went for the case of beer..and felt like a sailor who's ship sunk...and he made it to a desolate island.....except I had a case of beer though..(smile).....All of us..It was a small gang of us..that would do these wild trips...A year back..I asked my one bud.."C'mon..lets go winter camping"..His reply was.."I'm to old & fat to be doing those kinds trips anymore"........:)

Oooh the memories~~

Great post, Creek!

Some of these skills will be necessary for our members to be aware of, or learn, by the time our yearly trip gets under way.

I think I'll add to the next letter certain requirements to freshen up on before the get together. It'll make it more fun & safer for all of us.

With the added participants this year, do you think it necessary to bring some additional tents, or will they be supplying them for themselves?

I love ice fishing, but don't like looking at the ice from the opposite perspective! We should make sure we have plenty of life jackets and rope handy! (except for Jackass, we'll let him sink!)

You will also need to put wheels on the Holiday Inn if you expect to see me!

Few years ago some friends and I skied in and stayed in a yurt overnight. It was great, had sleds for our gear, eat steak with bottle of merlot that night. Also the Forest Service cuts all the wood and leaves it up there, so we were nice and warm for the evening. Very relaxing, great time.

(smile).....Oooooh Joan...(grin)..(happy too).....I am of service to Janeen & Jim..and now I'm at your service...:)

...You will be safe,happy..and warm in our shelter...!!...I will tell you stories of the Windigo..and legends of the forest we camp...of old Indian tales long forgoton...I'll show you the stars at night..as we breath the crisp cool air..and smell the warmth,the scent of a freshed cooked country meal...and hear the happiness inside while all are happy around the stove...as it works it's way outa the shelter while you look up..at the night sky..........This won't just be camping trip..but an expedition!.......with me as the Holiday Inn..to keep you happy!!!..Now turn that frown upside down..about not going..and start drawing up the list of supplies we'll need...(happy inside!)!!!......It'll be fun!!..Now start packing!!!....

Originally posted by jimnyc
(except for Jackass, we'll let him sink!)

Who you kidding? All I need is a sharp stone and Im all set! With that I can kill my food, skin it, make clothes..anything I need!! :D

I don't know if I could last one night with Jackass in or around the tent! haha! Bad enough I had to do a SIMPLE cigarette and beer run with him! which nearly got him locked up in a padded cell in CVS and nearly got his ass kicked by the driver, what was that wuss's name? for playing chinese fire drill on the highway, to trying to rip signs down, flags out, etc... I could just imagine what a camping trip would bring us! hehe!! but, I suppose I wouldn't mind going. WHEN WE ALL GOING???? I could supply the 2 cases of beer I should have in January, right Jim, Jackass??? :D

Haha..that right..YOU will be supplying 1 case of beer!! :)

Who WAS driving that night??? JIM??

One case, you kidding, the bet was, who ever won gets a case from EACH loser! and the LOSERS are.............Jim and Jackass! :)

Forum List

Back