Anybody know wtf a "boot tab" is?

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
I'm trying to restart my Toshiba laptop in Safe Mode. Holding F8 on startup doesn't do a damn thing.

Found a page that gives several ways to do it but it starts out:

"Go to the Boot tab and, in the Boot options section check the box that says "Safe boot". Then, click or tap OK."

Anyone ever heard of a "Boot tab"? I have no idea what he's talking about.

Then later it says,
"Another method is to press the Power button at the Windows login screen or in the Settings charm."

Anyone know what the fuck a "Charm" is?

:dunno:

I seem to have been forced to do an "update" :death: a few days ago, and since then my external hard drive won't show up so that's what I'm trying to resolve. It simply says "E is not accessible -- the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable". Doesn't identify it as "Seagate" as it normally does, doesn't identify it as anything. Yet it shows up in the tray and if I try to free it up it says "Windows can't stop your drive because a program is still using it" -- even though no such program ever started.

Are my USB ports going down? :dunno:

I fucking hate this shit.

What operating system is it?

Windoze 8 :puke:

Also --- where the fuck did they move "System Restore" to? Can't find that either.

Wouldn't it be great if they made cars like this? Next year you'd have to re-learn everything because the accelerator would be in the glove compartment, under another name. And to hit the brakes you'd have to have the dome light on.

Also --- where the fuck did they move "System Restore" to? Can't find that either.

Wouldn't it be great if they made cars like this? Next year you'd have to re-learn everything because the accelerator would be in the glove compartment, under another name. And to hit the brakes you'd have to have the dome light on.
8.0 or 8.1? Here is a site I used to help my neighbor but I dont know what state your computer is in. Do you have a recovery USB?

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

I am still on Windows 7, only my kids get the new stuff...

I didn't even get the choice. One day it was suddenly Windblows 8, all by itself without so much as a by your leave.

Now I've got it nagging me to get Windblows 10 in the corner. I ain't touching it.
I'm holding out for 9. Since they don't mention it that must be the one that actually works.

Yanno I've still got a desktop in the back running XP, 11 years old. Has no problems at all.

Last edited:
I still have a Hewlett Packard with Windows Vista, it won't do the updates now, so I gave it to the ex...

8.0 or 8.1? Here is a site I used to help my neighbor but I dont know what state your computer is in. Do you have a recovery USB?

A "recovery USB"? :dunno:

Thanks but that page isn't any help either -- it says "you can find out how to enter [Safe Mode] while you can't enter the system" --- and then doesn't bother to tell you. Then it says "the system will enter Automatic Repair mode" --- what, by itself? Just because I think about it?

It's all very nice to have the screens that come up but working with them is self-evident. What I need is how to get to those screens in the first place.

Thanks but that page isn't any help either -- it says "you can find out how to enter [Safe Mode] while you can't enter the system" --- and then doesn't bother to tell you. Then it says "the system will enter Automatic Repair mode" --- what, by itself? Just because I think about it?

It's all very nice to have the screens that come up but working with them is self-evident. What I need is how to get to those screens in the first place.
If you have another computer with the same version of windows you can make a recovery USB that will boot your computer. If those pages dont come up then your hard drive may be toast.

Don't know if this will help or not but...

Boot Windows 8 in Safe Mode - How-To - PC Advisor

THANKS SJ -- that was finally the key first step, to start with "msconfig". That brought up the screen that has a "boot tab" and by checking a box I was able to finally start in Safe Mode.

I plugged in the HD to see if it would still claim a "program was using it" in safe mode, and it did. Still calls it "generic volume".

Still would like to find System Recovery though.

So the hard drive seems to be suddenly defunct, after a year. This happens with every external HD I get, even though I only use it to archive important stuff, never dropped it, etc.

Now I'm reading a page that claims most HDs going down are actually just a SATA bridge card going down and can be fixed. The page is here. Thoughts anyone? I would love to stop buying hard drives, loading them up with important stuff and then tossing them because they suddenly won't work.

If you have another computer with the same version of windows you can make a recovery USB that will boot your computer. If those pages dont come up then your hard drive may be toast.

OK well I don't have any trouble booting, I was just looking for Safe Mode. Finally found it.

My boot tab is F-11 but I have Vista. :lol: Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If we could only convince Bill Fucking Gates of that.
Yeah I have a Vista laptop with thousands of miles of travel on it -- the lid won't even close any more, it's worn out. But the operating system --- just fine.

The only reason I have 7 instead of Vista is the Asus laptop I had between them completely blew up -- worst piece of shit I ever had -- and I had to replace the whole thing, and by then they were only selling Win7, all the previous Winblows versions having been converted to Unoperating Systems that never existed. Then one night 7 morphed into 8 and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

OK well I don't have any trouble booting, I was just looking for Safe Mode. Finally found it.
I am glad you found it.

I am glad you found it.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks everybody. Would still like comments on the SATA bridge. And I'll take it to my local geek with that question too.

I'm trying to restart my Toshiba laptop in Safe Mode. Holding F8 on startup doesn't do a damn thing.

Found a page that gives several ways to do it but it starts out:

"Go to the Boot tab and, in the Boot options section check the box that says "Safe boot". Then, click or tap OK."

Anyone ever heard of a "Boot tab"? I have no idea what he's talking about.

Then later it says,
"Another method is to press the Power button at the Windows login screen or in the Settings charm."

Anyone know what the fuck a "Charm" is?

:dunno:

I seem to have been forced to do an "update" :death: a few days ago, and since then my external hard drive won't show up so that's what I'm trying to resolve. It simply says "E is not accessible -- the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable". Doesn't identify it as "Seagate" as it normally does, doesn't identify it as anything. Yet it shows up in the tray and if I try to free it up it says "Windows can't stop your drive because a program is still using it" -- even though no such program ever started.

Are my USB ports going down? :dunno:

I fucking hate this shit.
msconfig
Using System Configuration msconfig - Windows Help
Well... nevermind lol

My boot tab is F-11 but I have Vista. :lol: Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If we could only convince Bill Fucking Gates of that.
Yeah I have a Vista laptop with thousands of miles of travel on it -- the lid won't even close any more, it's worn out. But the operating system --- just fine.

The only reason I have 7 instead of Vista is the Asus laptop I had between them completely blew up -- worst piece of shit I ever had -- and I had to replace the whole thing, and by then they were only selling Win7, all the previous Winblows versions having been converted to Unoperating Systems that never existed. Then one night 7 morphed into 8 and there was nothing I could do to stop it.
What pisses me off is right about the time you get used to one operating system, they force you to update. If you don't, new programs won't work. Planned obsolescence.

Forum List

Back