Anybody following the World Series?

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
When I was a kid the World Series was the number one topic of conversation this time of the year. Today I couldn't care less. Allegations of drug use by over paid prima donnas and lack of fun in the game turned what was once called "America's passtime" into another ho-hum event. Things have become so weird that St. Louis is talking about the income and jobs produced by the game rather than the players.

I lost interest when the Yanks went down to the Tigers.

Then I got behind the idea of a Detroit/Milwaukee series and that didn't work out either.

So now it's down to the two teams I could give a shit less about.

When I was a kid the World Series was the number one topic of conversation this time of the year. Today I couldn't care less. Allegations of drug use by over paid prima donnas and lack of fun in the game turned what was once called "America's passtime" into another ho-hum event. Things have become so weird that St. Louis is talking about the income and jobs produced by the game rather than the players.

Sorry, I am not a hockey fan

I am following the World Series closely. I'm a Yankee fan, but a baseball fan first.

Too bad you missed history being made by King Albert in game 3.

Pujols went 5-for-6 with three homers, two singles, and six RBIs. He joined Ruth (1926 Game 4 and 1928 Game 4) and Reggie Jackson (1977 Game 6) as the only players to hit three homers in a World Series game. The six RBIs tied the Fall Classic record previously shared by Bobby Richardson (1960 Game 3) and Hideki Matsui (2009 Game 6). The five hits tied Paul Molitor's record, set in Game 1 of the 1982 World Series, and Pujols' 14 total bases eclipsed the mark of 12 accumulated by Ruth and Jackson in their three-homer games. The 14 total bases tied Pujols with Bob Robertson (1971 National League Championship Series Game 2) for the most in a postseason game.

And...

You missed a pitching gem in game 4 by the Rangers' 25-year-old southpaw Derek Holland, who allowed two hits and two walks and recorded seven strikeouts. The performance yielded a Game Score of 84, the highest by a left-hander in a World Series since Randy Johnson's 91 for Arizona in Game 2 in 2001. The score was equal to the eighth-highest by a southpaw in a Fall Classic.

Holland joined elite company. The other lefties on the list of high scores include Hall of Famers Warren Spahn (1958), Whitey Ford (1961) and Sandy Koufax (twice, both times in 1965), plus Tom Glavine (1995) and John Tudor (1985).

The Official Site of Major League Baseball | MLB.com: Homepage

Our national pastime now has a 24/7 network...MLB

It is on in my house almost 24/7...

I am following the World Series closely. I'm a Yankee fan, but a baseball fan first.

Pujols went 5-for-6 with three homers, two singles, and six RBIs. He joined Ruth (1926 Game 4 and 1928 Game 4) and Reggie Jackson (1977 Game 6) as the only players to hit three homers in a World Series game. The six RBIs tied the Fall Classic record previously shared by Bobby Richardson (1960 Game 3) and Hideki Matsui (2009 Game 6). The five hits tied Paul Molitor's record, set in Game 1 of the 1982 World Series, and Pujols' 14 total bases eclipsed the mark of 12 accumulated by Ruth and Jackson in their three-homer games. The 14 total bases tied Pujols with Bob Robertson (1971 National League Championship Series Game 2) for the most in a postseason game.

And...

You missed a pitching gem in game 4 by the Rangers' 25-year-old southpaw Derek Holland, who allowed two hits and two walks and recorded seven strikeouts. The performance yielded a Game Score of 84, the highest by a left-hander in a World Series since Randy Johnson's 91 for Arizona in Game 2 in 2001. The score was equal to the eighth-highest by a southpaw in a Fall Classic.

Holland joined elite company. The other lefties on the list of high scores include Hall of Famers Warren Spahn (1958), Whitey Ford (1961) and Sandy Koufax (twice, both times in 1965), plus Tom Glavine (1995) and John Tudor (1985).

Actually I'm glad that there are still rabid baseball fans around. It's good for the game and good for the Country.

And...

Actually I'm glad that there are still rabid baseball fans around. It's good for the game and good for the Country.

if only the players had the attitude of yesteryear's players....

And...

I think today's players have a better attitude. I was a huge Mickey Mantle fan, but he was known to refuse autographs even for kids. Joe DiMaggio was a complete asshole who was arrogant and vane.

Look at current players like Derek Jeter, Curtis Granderson, David Ortiz, CC Sabathia, Josh Hamilton etc. They all are model citizens who give back to their communities. Ortiz and CC were finalists for the Roberto Clemente award which Ortiz won.

I think today's players have a better attitude. I was a huge Mickey Mantle fan, but he was known to refuse autographs even for kids. Joe DiMaggio was a complete asshole who was arrogant and vane.

Look at current players like Derek Jeter, Curtis Granderson, David Ortiz, CC Sabathia, Josh Hamilton etc. They all are model citizens who give back to their communities. Ortiz and CC were finalists for the Roberto Clemente award which Ortiz won.

when i was a kid my dad used to take me and my brother to Cleveland to see the Yankees play...we stayed in the same hotel as the Yankees did...Mantle would have a bunch of kids around him in the lobby,including me,he signed for every kid there until he had to go,and i seen the Yankees there more than once,he never turned any kid away....meanwhile today i live down the street from Angel Stadium...little kids line up the back where they come out to leave.....not very many stop.....and some are fucking rude to the kids....Barry Bonds told some little kids waiting for him that he doesnt sign autographs for free.....i understood though....its hard to make ends meet on the paltry salary he was getting...

when i was a kid my dad used to take me and my brother to Cleveland to see the Yankees play...we stayed in the same hotel as the Yankees did...Mantle would have a bunch of kids around him in the lobby,including me,he signed for every kid there until he had to go,and i seen the Yankees there more than once,he never turned any kid away....meanwhile today i live down the street from Angel Stadium...little kids line up the back where they come out to leave.....not very many stop.....and some are fucking rude to the kids....Barry Bonds told some little kids waiting for him that he doesnt sign autographs for free.....i understood though....its hard to make ends meet on the paltry salary he was getting...

I am glad to hear that about Mantle. But, someone should have told Billy Martin, because he used to chew the Mick out for not signing autographs.

I am not at all surprised about Barry Bonds. He represents the absolute worst of the game. I see today's players moving away from that tainted era. Most of the Latino players who dominate the game come from abject poverty. They are very humble and respectful. Mariano Rivera comes to mind.

Early eras had bastards like Ty Cobb, and racists who would not step on the field with a black ballplayer.

My grandfather took me to Cleveland back in the early 60's to see the Yankees play a double header with the Tribe. The player who left the biggest impression on me that day was Jimmy Piersall. He was playing deep center field and came racing in to make a shoe top catch of a ball that should have been Texas league single. He could FLY!

I am glad to hear that about Mantle. But, someone should have told Billy Martin, because he used to chew the Mick out for not signing autographs.

I am not at all surprised about Barry Bonds. He represents the absolute worst of the game. I see today's players moving away from that tainted era. Most of the Latino players who dominate the game come from abject poverty. They are very humble and respectful. Mariano Rivera comes to mind.

Early eras had bastards like Ty Cobb, and racists who would not step on the field with a black ballplayer.

My grandfather took me to Cleveland back in the early 60's to see the Yankees play a double header with the Tribe. The player who left the biggest impression on me that day was Jimmy Piersall. He was playing deep center field and came racing in to make a shoe top catch of a ball that should have been Texas league single. He could FLY!

maybe when Mantle was drinking he was reluctant to stand around and sign anything and it pissed Martin off.....but i used to get autographs from them guys every time we were there .....Moose Skowron,Bobby Richardson,Tom Tresh,Whitey Ford,Yogi Berra,....geeze i bet i had everyone of them guys,Maris too.....who knows what i did with them....:lol:

maybe when Mantle was drinking he was reluctant to stand around and sign anything and it pissed Martin off.....but i used to get autographs from them guys every time we were there .....Moose Skowron,Bobby Richardson,Tom Tresh,Whitey Ford,Yogi Berra,....geeze i bet i had everyone of them guys,Maris too.....who knows what i did with them....:lol:

That was the team, I wish I had that opportunity. My mom's sister and her husband (he was a Chiropractor) lived in Cleveland, so we stayed at their house.

As impressive as that team was, from the DiMaggio era to the Mantle era, the guy who led the Yankees in RBI in every season from 1949-55 was Yogi. You couldn't pitch around him because he was a bad ball hitter.

That was the team, I wish I had that opportunity. My mom's sister and her husband (he was a Chiropractor) lived in Cleveland, so we stayed at their house.

As impressive as that team was, from the DiMaggio era to the Mantle era, the guy who led the Yankees in RBI in every season from 1949-55 was Yogi. You couldn't pitch around him because he was a bad ball hitter.
well i saw Yogi at the very end of his playing days.....Elston Howard was the catcher in most of the Yankee games i saw....i also remember seeing Tony Kubeck and Clete Boyer.....dam that was the early 60's.....i must be old....:lol:

This has nothing to do with the Super Bowl does it....nuff said.

I'm a pro football fan, but the Super Bowl is my least favorite game. It destroys the game itself, especially the pace. It has become a corporate and Hollywood personality extravaganza where the true fans are shut out from attending. It is too contrived.

Football should be played at 1 PM on a Sunday in an outdoor stadium. It should be played in the stadium of the team that earns home field.

Baseball will always be America's pastime to me. Not because of pastime part, but because of the America part.

When you look at a crowd attending a baseball game, it is all of America; diverse and all inclusive, from grandmothers to little kids. It is a family friendly atmosphere, not a testosterone cowboy beer blast.

This has nothing to do with the Super Bowl does it....nuff said.

I'm a pro football fan, but the Super Bowl is my least favorite game. It destroys the game itself, especially the pace. It has become a corporate and Hollywood personality extravaganza where the true fans are shut out from attending. It is too contrived.

Football should be played at 1 PM on a Sunday in an outdoor stadium. It should be played in the stadium of the team that earns home field.

Baseball will always be America's pastime to me. Not because of pastime part, but because of the America part.

When you look at a crowd attending a baseball game, it is all of America; diverse and all inclusive, from grandmothers to little kids. It is a family friendly atmosphere, not a testosterone cowboy beer blast.

unless you go to a Dodger game.....apparently....

Doesn't matter who really ends up playing. Last night's game was magical and the best WS game ever played.
Don't need to be a diehard baseball fan to appreciate it, just know the game rules.
Never saw a better WS game in my lifetime!!!

Forum List

Back