Anybody else done with Dr. Who?

Maybe, ten years ago; now, they are beyond that. Just count how many gay guys are on TV. There's obvious casting quotas for this, now. Hard to watch a show that doesn't have one. And if they're not gay, then there character is gay or some big gay rights activist.

Can you show us a copy of the casting quota requirements? Thanks.

My argument was figurative in case you hadn't gathered that. Observational as well. This is not a secret either; only hacks are denying it.

Turning DW into a woman after ll this time? It's became more about liberal advocacy than anything else. I think I'm done with it.

I'll hold out for the strung out on heroin Dr. Who that likes to bang sheep.

I can't one hundred percent say I'm done with it. But I do believe I'm done with it. Changing the fabric of the show for politics is abhorrent; besides that, shows tend to become sh** when they do that, anyways. The Late Show With David Letterman is a prime example. He went from a zest for life type of guy to a crotchety curmudgeon / triggered twat virtually overnight.

Turning DW into a woman after ll this time? It's became more about liberal advocacy than anything else. I think I'm done with it.

Well, they've already established that changing gender is something that can happen in regeneration... so no, that's not a big deal.

I think the gender of the next actor (besides causing some problems for my choice of AVI) isn't really the problem the series has right now. I think the big problem has been some of the scripting going back to Matt Smith's last season.

So let me get this straight. You are okay with this show about a guy flying around in a magic box that is bigger on the inside, and can change his appearance... but you turn him into a chick and you lose your stuff?

By established, you mean they announced it this season. No, that's not Dr. Who; it never was.

The fabric of the show matters. You dismiss it to play politics, you have no integrity. It's disrespectful to the fans. I was watching a story arch, not a glorified version of CNN.

I watched TNG & DS9 off and on, but as someone who lived through the originals, it was hard to get past some of the rip-off to keep the show going including splitting Riker into 2 separate entities!

Um. Okay. You do realize there was an episode where they split Kirk into two separate entities, right? The one where Riker was split into two entities was actually better.

Doctor Who's reboot hasn't gone the way I would have liked with extremely long and painful story arcs that go on forever!

I'm mostly happy with the DW reboot. I didn't care for Eccelston, but Iike Tennant, Smith and Capaldi and I'm willing to give an open mind to Whittaker.

I much preferred the stand-alone format! I liked "Blake's 7" over all of them even though just 52 episodes over 4 seasons!

I liked Blake's Seven, except for the ending where they did a big FU to the audience. (Spoilers).

My argument was figurative in case you hadn't gathered that. Observational as well. This is not a secret either; only hacks are denying it.

Do you have any figures to back that up?

Never mind, I'll do your research for you.

GLAAD - Where We Are on TV Report - 2016

Of the 895 series regular characters expected to appear on broadcast scripted primetime programming in the coming year, 43 (4.8%) were identified as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer. This is the highest percentage of LGBTQ series regulars GLAAD has ever found.

Um, 4.8% of characters? Given that 10% of the population is LGBT, that's really not a huge amount.

By established, you mean they announced it this season. No, that's not Dr. Who; it never was.

Actually, the first mention of Time Lords being able to change gender was at the end of Season 4, when the Doctor regenerated from David Tenant to Matt Smith, and he remarks, "I'm a Girl!" and then grabs his Adams apple and realizes he's still male. This was in 2010.

in Series 6, when the Doctor mentioned another Time Lord named "The Corsair" who had changed genders during the time the Doctor had known him/her.

And obviously, you have the Master (a long established character) regenerating into a female form in Season 8, which was in 2014. The previously established character of the General regenerated into a woman in Season 9, which was in 2015. So your argument that it wasn't established until this season shows a lack of knowledge of the show's lore.

The fabric of the show matters. You dismiss it to play politics, you have no integrity. It's disrespectful to the fans. I was watching a story arch, not a glorified version of CNN.

I don't see how that changes the "Fabric" of the show. I think what bothers you is that it will change the dynamic. Before it was mostly female companions asking the dumb questions and needing to be saved by a male doctor. They really haven't announced companions yet, so we can assume the next companion is going to be male. It hurts their masculinity if a woman saves them?

Now, there's a lot of reasons why this could be a mess. Whitakker might not be up to the role, it's actually a tough character to play, and we've had some awful actors in it. (Anyone else remember Colin Baker?)

It might also be that they have run out of ideas. HOw many times can the Daleks or Cybermen show up and still be interesting?

Your problem seems to be that you are terribly upset that it's a woman to start with, not that this may or may not be the best actor for the role.

I watched TNG & DS9 off and on, but as someone who lived through the originals, it was hard to get past some of the rip-off to keep the show going including splitting Riker into 2 separate entities!

Um. Okay. You do realize there was an episode where they split Kirk into two separate entities, right? The one where Riker was split into two entities was actually better.

Doctor Who's reboot hasn't gone the way I would have liked with extremely long and painful story arcs that go on forever!

I'm mostly happy with the DW reboot. I didn't care for Eccelston, but Iike Tennant, Smith and Capaldi and I'm willing to give an open mind to Whittaker.

I much preferred the stand-alone format! I liked "Blake's 7" over all of them even though just 52 episodes over 4 seasons!

I liked Blake's Seven, except for the ending where they did a big FU to the audience. (Spoilers).

We were lucky to get that last season and a finale altogether! They didn't return for taping on schedule; actually an extra 6 months went by before they rapped things up with that finale that was one of the best IMO! A friend warned me ahead of time, but it was still a shock and emotional to me anyway! I still get a little verklempt thinking about it and seeing it I become a puddle! Like Darrow, I always thought there was a chance they could do a reboot; heaven knows the radio-cast of "Logic Of Empire" gave them a storyline of the resistance breaking Avon out of a dungeon after 12 years of imprisonment! Remember, ORAC was still out there; ya just had all kinds of possibilities! "The Mark Of Kane" also explained where Blake and Jenna were all that time after "Star One!" I saw AD pictures and a clip of a re-boot 15 years ago, but it didn't go anywhere! Darrow tried his hardest, but it just wasn't to be! :crybaby: :bowdown: :clap2: :rolleyes:

- - - - Logic of Empire (4 parts)

- - - - The Mark Of Kane (4 parts)

Do you have any figures to back that up?

Never mind, I'll do your research for you.

GLAAD - Where We Are on TV Report - 2016

Of the 895 series regular characters expected to appear on broadcast scripted primetime programming in the coming year, 43 (4.8%) were identified as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer. This is the highest percentage of LGBTQ series regulars GLAAD has ever found.

Um, 4.8% of characters? Given that 10% of the population is LGBT, that's really not a huge amount.

And how many of those "straight" or otherwise non sexually identified characters are played by persons who are obviously gay? Yea, your misleading numbers don't mean sh**. Big surprise.

Actually, the first mention of Time Lords being able to change gender was at the end of Season 4, when the Doctor regenerated from David Tenant to Matt Smith, and he remarks, "I'm a Girl!" and then grabs his Adams apple and realizes he's still male. This was in 2010.

That was a joke, bro. Nice try.

I don't see how that changes the "Fabric" of the show. I think what bothers you is that it will change the dynamic. Before it was mostly female companions asking the dumb questions and needing to be saved by a male doctor. They really haven't announced companions yet, so we can assume the next companion is going to be male. It hurts their masculinity if a woman saves them?

It wasn't quite a concern even on my radar. But yea, I'm the SJWs love to belittle masculinity like this.

Your problem seems to be that you are terribly upset that it's a woman to start with, not that this may or may not be the best actor for the role.

And you base this on? Feel free to give a fictitious answer; but in case you don't, I'll state the obvious; that you're shamelessly projecting.

And how many of those "straight" or otherwise non sexually identified characters are played by persons who are obviously gay? Yea, your misleading numbers don't mean sh**. Big surprise.

I'm not sure what you mean by obviously gay... I worked for a woman for two years and had no idea she was gay.

yes, a lot of actors are gay. Because when you spend your life pretending to be something you are not, to hide from assholes like you who would do them harm because of your own sexual insecurities, pretending to be a spaceship captain is probably easy.

That was a joke, bro. Nice try.

Oh, really. I thought you were just demonstrating your ignorance of the show.

It wasn't quite a concern even on my radar. But yea, I'm the SJWs love to belittle masculinity like this.

How does it belittle a guy to be saved by a hero with 2000 years of experience fighting space monsters?

If Daleks or Cybermen were real, we'd actually be in a lot of trouble.

Good news for some, bad news for others

Jodie will be back as Dr Who in 2020

Gonna be honest, I followed through and didn't watch the fundamentally changed Dr. Who.
Am I too rigid? It just seems that politics was more important than the art; and I can't stand that.

Gonna be honest, I followed through and didn't watch the fundamentally changed Dr. Who.
Am I too rigid? It just seems that politics was more important than the art; and I can't stand that.

I'm sure you wouldn't have enjoyed it.

The problem I see with the last two seasons is that they seemed to want to shake things up for no other reason than to shake them up. (Spoilers ahead)

They retconned the whole history of the Doctor (She is now an immortal being that had many incarnations before the First Doctor played by William Hartnell). They destroyed Galifrey again. (Rendering the heroics of the 50th Anniversary Special meaningless.) They brought back the Master again (he's back to being a dude) but he's boring as shit and they dumped all the character development they did in Seasons 8-10.

Much like the people currently running Star Wars and Star Trek, they seem intent on flipping off their mostly white male fan base.

I've been a serious "DW" devotee for decades! My college roommate hipped me up to it in '79 since I was a Sci-Fi bug! Baker was "the man" and I knitted my own DW scarf by '83 after seeing the pattern in the newspapers! I stayed with it thru the lean years with Colin B. and McCoy, survived that horrible movie in '96, and looked forward to a rebirth when re-booted in '05! I taped each episode to Beta and VHS format thru all that, creating a fan page adding other faves of "Blake's 7" and "Earth: The Final Battle!" I felt they were testing out having a woman as the Doctor years ago; esp. when The Master came back as Missy! I've half-heartedly watched, but haven't taped it as reliably as I would have in the past! Had to take mom to ER on New Years so I missed that episode with the Daleks and after all this time I can't say I'm missing anything! I haven't seen a repeat, but not exactly looking hard! I'm a senior now and past it with this show I guess! :itsok:

They did a phone survey, to determine which was the best Doctor.

Their results:

1 - David Tennant 10518 / 21%

2 - Jodie Whittaker 10423 / 21%

3 - Peter Capaldi 8897 / 18%

4 - Matt Smith 7637 / 16%

5 - Tom Baker 3977 / 8%

6 - William Hartnell 1983 / 4%

7 - Paul McGann 1427 / 3%

8 - Christopher Eccleston 1144 / 2%

9 - Jon Pertwee 1038 / 2%

10 - Patrick Troughton 915 / 2%

11 - Sylvester McCoy 462 / 1%