Any wrestlers?

My head high school coach was one for various stats.

His favorite was "90% of matches are won by the guy who gets the first take-down!"

I once made the mistake of jokingly calling him an old man. He didnt find it funny, and I paid DEARLY for that. :lol:

I had an asst coach who I believe had to transfer to Michigan State University from Oklahoma because of Dan Gable. Isn't that the guy you mentioned before? Anyways, he looked 100 to me but he could whip my ass so bad. That's how I know about man strength. A kid can't beat a man unless the kid is a freak of nature, like a Lebron James. He was a man at 15. LOL. Anyways, one day I was bragging that I could bench 300 and he said BFD. He went upstairs and did it no problem.

Now I'm 38 and no freakin way I can do 300 anymore, without serious training. How did he do that?

My head high school coach was one for various stats.

His favorite was "90% of matches are won by the guy who gets the first take-down!"

I once made the mistake of jokingly calling him an old man. He didnt find it funny, and I paid DEARLY for that. :lol:

I had an asst coach who I believe had to transfer to Michigan State University from Oklahoma because of Dan Gable. Isn't that the guy you mentioned before? Anyways, he looked 100 to me but he could whip my ass so bad. That's how I know about man strength. A kid can't beat a man unless the kid is a freak of nature, like a Lebron James. He was a man at 15. LOL. Anyways, one day I was bragging that I could bench 300 and he said BFD. He went upstairs and did it no problem.

Now I'm 38 and no freakin way I can do 300 anymore, without serious training. How did he do that?

LeBron's gonna sign with Chicago.

Funny story about myself. Amazingly, I havent heard it until tonight:

The whole family was gathered around tonight, which is a somewhat rare occasion. We happened to be going through pictures comparing my oldest brother and I to our children when we came across a pic of me at about 2 years old with wrestling head-gear on.

I've seen the picture a hundred times before, but had never been told the story behind it.

Evidently, when I was 2-ish, I took to wearing my oldest bros spare head-gear around wherever I went. My father being the rock on guy he was decided that if thats what I wanted to wear, by God I was gonna be allowed to wear it. Who was it hurting?

Turns out, I wore the damn things daily, for about 6 months straight. We have a every couple year tradition of having a Thanksgiving lunch at a local State Park that offers a Thanksgiving Luncheon. According to my mother, people looked at me like I was a special needs child, except of course, the families that had at least one wrestler amongst them. Some members of said wrestling families walked up to my parents and said random things like "How cute" and "I bet he'll be a college wrestler before you know it!" etc etc.

So I learned today that I can honestly say that I was hardcore since BEFORE I can remember :lol:

No kidding. I wrestle with my nephews (3 & 6) and try to give them the early experience. I let them win, but make them work for it. That way they learn and like it too because kids hate to lose. One day he asked me to go 100% and don't hold back so I just pinned him 100 times and he got mad. LOL. Be careful what you wish for.

The whole family was gathered around tonight, which is a somewhat rare occasion. We happened to be going through pictures comparing my oldest brother and I to our children when we came across a pic of me at about 2 years old with wrestling head-gear on.

I've seen the picture a hundred times before, but had never been told the story behind it.

Evidently, when I was 2-ish, I took to wearing my oldest bros spare head-gear around wherever I went. My father being the rock on guy he was decided that if thats what I wanted to wear, by God I was gonna be allowed to wear it. Who was it hurting?

Turns out, I wore the damn things daily, for about 6 months straight. We have a every couple year tradition of having a Thanksgiving lunch at a local State Park that offers a Thanksgiving Luncheon. According to my mother, people looked at me like I was a special needs child, except of course, the families that had at least one wrestler amongst them. Some members of said wrestling families walked up to my parents and said random things like "How cute" and "I bet he'll be a college wrestler before you know it!" etc etc.

So I learned today that I can honestly say that I was hardcore since BEFORE I can remember :lol:

No kidding. I wrestle with my nephews (3 & 6) and try to give them the early experience. I let them win, but make them work for it. That way they learn and like it too because kids hate to lose. One day he asked me to go 100% and don't hold back so I just pinned him 100 times and he got mad. LOL. Be careful what you wish for.

Its funny that you say that about kids man.

My oldest brother (my wrestling coach brother lol) has a 16 month old son, and he's been at my mothers with HIS mom for the past 4 days. I was screwing with em yesterday and had a hold of his wrist. The lil fucker laughed and broke my hold by turning his wrist and shoving his arm down torwards his knees....like a friggin pro. I couldnt believe it, I was stunned! Granted, I didnt have a tight hold or anything, but I was still shocked!

My brother will have him wrestling before we know it. I cant wait. Us two assholes are gonna be by the side of the mat yelling our fool heads off. :lol:

My oldest brother (my wrestling coach brother lol) has a 16 month old son, and he's been at my mothers with HIS mom for the past 4 days. I was screwing with em yesterday and had a hold of his wrist. The lil fucker laughed and broke my hold by turning his wrist and shoving his arm down torwards his knees....like a friggin pro. I couldnt believe it, I was stunned! Granted, I didnt have a tight hold or anything, but I was still shocked!

My brother will have him wrestling before we know it. I cant wait. Us two assholes are gonna be by the side of the mat yelling our fool heads off. :lol:

My nephew makes a lot of mistakes, but I think he's learning by trial and error. I gotta teach him to bridge. But if one thing doesn't work, he quickly tries another thing. That's how I was.

I didn't wrestle until 10th grade, so I didn't know half of what everyone else knew. And at 5'6, I couldn't do a lot of the leggy moves anyways, so I just wrestled like a greco roman style upper body wrestler. Or a sumo. Or clinch and snap them down to a frontheadlock and then spin around them real quick for the takedown. Or lift and trip. Or I'd tie up and lung backward and down, grab the back of their back foot if they stepped in too far and then I'd just let go and they'd go falling backward. If done right they have no choice. But for sure my strength made up for what I didn't know. But some guys were just better wrestlers and could overcome the strength thing. Long skinny guys seemed to give me trouble.

That's why I was curious when you said you dared anyone to get you in a front headlock. That was usually what I went for.

I think the best match I was ever in, I lost. It was that guy I beat to place at state. He was #3 the year before in the state tourny. Huge black guy. All muscle. But I was thicker muscle. But he was a better wrestler. How I beat him I'll never know. But the best match was the one in regionals when he beat me. I went at him with everything I had. Head butts, throws. He beat me on points but we got a standing ovation and he was exhausted. I think that match played into why I later beat him at states. He told someone "yea, i have to wrestle that crazy white boy again". LOL. That's what he thought of me. WOW! When I heard that, I gained a lot of confidence and believed. In the years since, I have run into guys I wrestled with and I can't believe how people remember me? I have a long greek last name and that probably helps, but I was entertaining to watch for sure. I was also a powerlifter. Not big numbers in todays standards of steriods and creotene, but at 155 I benched 350, squat 400 and deadlifted 500. AT 155! I was a freak. I started lifting again recently. Still got a gut but that took 20 years to grow. The guns are still there though. :lol:

And on the tapes from states, my brother, boss and other close friends are going BONKERS!!! We worked at a small gym so they all had jackets with logos, like a gang.

Oh yea, one more story. We stole a booster moms orange soda, and the next tourny the kid has the balls to walk up to me and say, "how's my moms pop"? I say, "huh?" He says, "you stole my moms pop last week". And I said, "Oh yea," So he says, "how did it taste"? And I said, "almost as good as her pussy".

It cleared the stands. :lol: Huge brawl.

My nephew makes a lot of mistakes, but I think he's learning by trial and error. I gotta teach him to bridge. But if one thing doesn't work, he quickly tries another thing. That's how I was.

I didn't wrestle until 10th grade, so I didn't know half of what everyone else knew. And at 5'6, I couldn't do a lot of the leggy moves anyways, so I just wrestled like a greco roman style upper body wrestler. Or a sumo. Or clinch and snap them down to a frontheadlock and then spin around them real quick for the takedown. Or lift and trip. Or I'd tie up and lung backward and down, grab the back of their back foot if they stepped in too far and then I'd just let go and they'd go falling backward. If done right they have no choice. But for sure my strength made up for what I didn't know. But some guys were just better wrestlers and could overcome the strength thing. Long skinny guys seemed to give me trouble.

That's why I was curious when you said you dared anyone to get you in a front headlock. That was usually what I went for.

I think the best match I was ever in, I lost. It was that guy I beat to place at state. He was #3 the year before in the state tourny. Huge black guy. All muscle. But I was thicker muscle. But he was a better wrestler. How I beat him I'll never know. But the best match was the one in regionals when he beat me. I went at him with everything I had. Head butts, throws. He beat me on points but we got a standing ovation and he was exhausted. I think that match played into why I later beat him at states. He told someone "yea, i have to wrestle that crazy white boy again". LOL. That's what he thought of me. WOW! When I heard that, I gained a lot of confidence and believed. In the years since, I have run into guys I wrestled with and I can't believe how people remember me? I have a long greek last name and that probably helps, but I was entertaining to watch for sure. I was also a powerlifter. Not big numbers in todays standards of steriods and creotene, but at 155 I benched 350, squat 400 and deadlifted 500. AT 155! I was a freak. I started lifting again recently. Still got a gut but that took 20 years to grow. The guns are still there though. :lol:

And on the tapes from states, my brother, boss and other close friends are going BONKERS!!! We worked at a small gym so they all had jackets with logos, like a gang.

Oh yea, one more story. We stole a booster moms orange soda, and the next tourny the kid has the balls to walk up to me and say, "how's my moms pop"? I say, "huh?" He says, "you stole my moms pop last week". And I said, "Oh yea," So he says, "how did it taste"? And I said, "almost as good as her pussy".

It cleared the stands. :lol: Huge brawl

:clap2:

It cleared the stands. :lol: Huge brawl

:clap2:

Hey, I got an issue. I play poker with a 34 year old, I'm 38, and he knows me from highschool, even though we didn't go the same time. My picture is on the all state wall. Anyways, we've grappled a couple times so he knows even though now that I'm fat, I still got it. For 30 seconds anyways. After that I need to finish the fight from a chair. :lol:

Anyways, he has a 25 year old cousin, who has friends. They play too. There is this 6' plus guy there who was in prison who has come awfully close to getting his ass wopped. These guys don't realize what 4 years of wrestling means. And they think that prison trumps wrestling. How many fights did he get in prison? 2? 3? It makes me laugh. Anyways, he actually took his shirt off and was saying, "come on" to me. I said, "you come to me you little bitch. pussy!". He wouldn't come. And I'm too old to get mad. I've been in too many fights to get suckered in. For what?

So I told him, "you aren't coming back in the house, leave" and he left. But since he's been talking shit. I so want to whip his ass. I don't care how muscular he is. His waste is skinny and he doesn't have man strenght. I'm going to run him over like a train.

But I told his buddies that i'm not fighting for free. If I have $40 and he has $40, then we will fight for that. But there has to be something in it or its not worth it. LOL.

My friends are pussies. I told them, "when you guys talk shit, you're trying to talk the guy out of fighting you. when I talk shit, its to get them angry and come after me.".

I need to grow up. But still I want to beat this punks ass. But what will it prove? I've beat up a bunch of guys BIGGER!! What did those prove? NOTHING!!! But its still fun. So if it happens, I'll let you know.

Back in highschool I made it to state my senior year. I was in the 145 weight class!

Excellent. You should have called yourself Fishhook. Remember doing that to your buddies? Both sides of the mouth? There is no escaping that once someone has it deep. LOL.

If you didn't read a previous post, I was 155 and I lost my very first match at state, and then won a bunch until I was in the top 6. I placed 5th so I won my last match.

But I never thought I'd make it after losing my first match. How close did you come? It was an honor just to be there, huh? Fuck it. Unless you took first, we all lost to someone else at least once.

Wrestling, judo etc beats striking arts in real life hands down.

Disagree. You can't wrestle with what just knocked your ass out. Wrestling also doesn't tend to work well on multiple opponents.

ALL martial arts styles have strengths and weaknesses. To ignore the weakness of the style you prefer is to become victim to it.

Disagree. You can't wrestle with what just knocked your ass out. Wrestling also doesn't tend to work well on multiple opponents.

ALL martial arts styles have strengths and weaknesses. To ignore the weakness of the style you prefer is to become victim to it.

Yup.

I'm a big fan of the two-by-four up the back of the head before the opponent understands there's a fracus going to happen, personally.

What it lacks in grace and style it more than makes up for in showing the opponent that you had a deep respect for the possibility that he might have kicked your ass had you been foolish enough to have given him that opportunity.

And unlike the slightly similar techniqe -- the all american sucker-punch -- it is saves you from the possibility that you'll get your knuckles all cut up on your opponent's teeth.

Yup.

I'm a big fan of the two-by-four up the back of the head before the opponent understands there's a fracus going to happen, personally.

What it lacks in grace and style it more than makes up for in showing the opponent that you had a deep respect for the possibility that he might have kicked your ass had you been foolish enough to have given him that opportunity.

And unlike the slightly similar techniqe -- the all american sucker-punch -- it is saves you from the possibility that you'll get your knuckles all cut up on your opponent's teeth.

Can't argue with logic.:lol:

True. All true. But nothing beats a wrestling background if the wrestler has a little experience in all the other fighting styles.

But if you are trained in the other styles and all you have is a little wrestling experience, you are at a disadvantage when you go in the cage with a wrestler.

All we need to know is how to counter your little moves and we null and void them. My jujitsu buddy choked me out the first few times, now he can't, and I'm on top of him and overpowering him. I'm ground and pounding him. Just don't get caught by his slick moves.

But we will take you down. You're hoping/wishing for a lucky punch. Do you realize how hard our heads are? Good luck. 9 times out of 10 we will beat you.

You won't even realize you are in a bad position. You'll think you have me in a headlock and actually, I have you in a bear hug and I'm going to sooflay you on your head. Fight over.

Forum List

Back