Any solid food tips for shedding a developing beer belly?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I figure I need to lose about 15 pounds. Up until a couple years ago I worked out a lot but a nasty back injury has put a stop to that. Ever since I've begun to notice my gut is growing.
I don't actually drink a lot of beer unless you consider an average of 2 drinks a night a lot.

Today I decided to nip this in the bud and went to the store after work and bought mostly salad stuff and granola bars. I also got some almond milk as I don't do dairy, or rather it doesn't do me.
I have never been out of shape or worried about my diet so this is all new to me.
I am very active at work (construction) and intend to start using my treadmill again in the mornings but I know a healthy diet is equally important.

So far my plans are no more fast food lunches. I tried a McDonald's Southwest salad today and surprisingly I thought it was pretty dang good. No idea if it was actually healthy or not tho lol.

Anyhow, any tips would be much appreciated.

One thing I wont do however is pack a lunch. I look forward to getting off the jobsite for my hour lunch everyday. At this point I just need to do some research on healthy choices while eating out.

Also is bourbon high in calories? And should calories be my main focus?

I figure I need to lose about 15 pounds. Up until a couple years ago I worked out a lot but a nasty back injury has put a stop to that. Ever since I've begun to notice my gut is growing.
I don't actually drink a lot of beer unless you consider an average of 2 drinks a night a lot.

Today I decided to nip this in the bud and went to the store after work and bought mostly salad stuff and granola bars. I also got some almond milk as I don't do dairy, or rather it doesn't do me.
I have never been out of shape or worried about my diet so this is all new to me.
I am very active at work (construction) and intend to start using my treadmill again in the mornings but I know a healthy diet is equally important.

So far my plans are no more fast food lunches. I tried a McDonald's Southwest salad today and surprisingly I thought it was pretty dang good. No idea if it was actually healthy or not tho lol.

One thing I wont do however is pack a lunch. I look forward to getting off the jobsite for my hour lunch everyday. At this point I just need to do some research on healthy choices while eating out.

Stay away from soda and ride a bicycle. Cutting out the sugars alone won't help by itself. Exercise. Restaurant food is high in salt and sugars.

• Banned

Stay away from soda and ride a bicycle. Cutting out the sugars alone won't help by itself. Exercise. Restaurant food is high in salt and sugars.
I don't drink pop. I drink two 32 oz. Iced teas everyday. One to carry me till lunch then one for the afternoon. The syrup in pop messes with my stomach

Two beers per evening has to go ... that maybe is all you need to do ... has the back injury healed enough to start resuming an exercise routine at some level? ...

I'm guessing your diet has always been fine ... it's just the beer ...

Before breakfast, chop up a couple of stalks of celery, and either eat them or blend them pn the "liquefy" setting with a cup of purified water to avoid strands getting into your teeth. Wash and slice a carrot and a radish thin. Eat them up. Then do breakfast proteins, but no more than one egg and one slice of Canadian bacon. You can have a biscuit or toast every third day or 3 tablespoons of all bran tidbits in the almond milk until you're good to go. You shouldn't be hungry until the late afternoon. If you are under a cardiologist's care, get a list of meats and foods he recommends to keep your heart healthy. If he doesn't have one, get a Centrum 55+ for men and add a slice of watermelon every other day from the deli/produce dept. of your grocers for the lucky lady in your life. ;)

That is all. If your job doesn't give you enough time to cut veggies in the morning, you can buy bottled celery juice, bottled carrot juice, and you can just rinse and pop one radish at a time, can't ya? :D

Don;t do this if the though of living past 90+ in reasonably good health bothers you. And if you want to add an extra 10 years, throw in 3 or 4 slices of fresh beets gently cooked to softening, but I promise you if you mix all that together it tastes exactly like hell; but two days later you'd be asking yourself why you felt so darn good today.

Edit: oh, yeah, I forgot about the trimming down part. Replace your beer with hot green tea in the winter months and iced green tea in the summer. If that's getting you nowhere after a few weeks, change to machta tea. It'll get you down faster, but it's real expensive, and most seniors don't want to pay that kinda money for quick loss of undeserved flab.

Last edited:
Take a look at your current diet. Be honest about it.

Then ruthlessly cut any sugars. Try to get your carbs under 100g a day. Eat real food, nothing processed.

Your body will lean out and find its natural weight. Do away with the sugars and you don't have to really worry about calories.

You need to lower your carb intake and pretty much cut out sugar as much as possible and eliminate alcohol 100%.

Look up lazy keto. Easiest way to drop weight

I don't drink pop. I drink two 32 oz. Iced teas everyday. One to carry me till lunch then one for the afternoon. The syrup in pop messes with my stomach

Yeah the mass produced corn syrup sugary drinks will do it soda or tea

You could always make it yourself and bring a thermos

Something that doesn't hurt back ...tread mill ...walk ,light runs

Ahh, stop drinking beer?

Ahh, stop drinking beer?

That's just crazy talk :04:

Ahh, stop drinking beer?
I don't actually drink much beer. The term beer belly is more a metaphor than anything. I typically have a couple shots or one or two beers before 7 and by 9 or 10 I'm out like a light.
8 to 9 hours of sleep every night and I love it

Two beers per evening has to go ... that maybe is all you need to do ... has the back injury healed enough to start resuming an exercise routine at some level? ...

Disk 4 & 5 are toast. I was a weight lifter and runner and that is never gonna happen again. I can not risk my career for extreme exercise. The doctors want to fuse my disks but that too is a no go because if the surgery goes bad so does my career

No fried food (fried chicken, donuts, chips, etc).

Oatmeal (make it tastey by adding half a bottle of almond extract and a little sugar WHILE COOKING.

2 pounds of frozen spinach (or broccoli or cauliflaur) add 1 can of broccoli-cheese soup, cover & bake 325 for 1 hour & 15 minutes...take out of oven & stir. (it'll need salt & pepper).

A hard boiled egg wrapped in smoked ham & smoked turkey is fantastic!

Sliced peaches and cottage cheese.

Two bottles of Bud is 300 or so empty calories.

Disk 4 & 5 are toast. I was a weight lifter and runner and that is never gonna happen again. I can not risk my career for extreme exercise. The doctors want to fuse my disks but that too is a no go because if the surgery goes bad so does my career
The weights likely did it, GMU. People with discs out should see what they can do with arm moving and working the legs while lying down. When injuries happen some people give everything up, but when they realize they can do a few things and actually do them, their morale goes up 95%. Seems like a few years back, one of our IED war victims finished the New York Marathon on his specially-built lowboy wheelchair, because his arms did all the moving of the sturdy wheels. That's been a long time ago, and I don't recall the other details, except people at the beginning and ending place of the marathon were there at the end cheering him on. Good night, all. I'm falling asleep over my keyboard & have to wish Ms. Foxfyre et al well at the USMB Lounge. Praying for our country's people to mend fences tonight.

Forum List

Back