Any Sightings of Cougars & Panthers in Your Area?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Any reports of panthers and cougars roaming in the rural areas where you live?

Our local newspaper had a story this morning of a panther killing seven small pigs in the early morning hours in an adjoining county. We have had reports of sightings of both panthers and cougars in this area for the past three years. Many of these sightings occurred very close to housing additions.

About a year ago a woman returning home from her late shift job in the early morning hours reported that she almost hit a panther with her car near a very popular walking trail used by many people in this community.

Now with this report of the panther attack on the pigs, many people are becoming frightened that their children might be at risk because they wait for school buses in rural areas while it is still dark outside. Just wondering if this was beginning to be a problem in other areas.

Never HEARD of any around here. From what I've been told, the panther/cougar/mountain lion has been evicted from this area since about 1805.

Adam's Apple said:

Our local newspaper had a story this morning of a panther killing seven small pigs in the early morning hours in an adjoining county. We have had reports of sightings of both panthers and cougars in this area for the past three years. Many of these sightings occurred very close to housing additions.

About a year ago a woman returning home from her late shift job in the early morning hours reported that she almost hit a panther with her car near a very popular walking trail used by many people in this community.

Now with this report of the panther attack on the pigs, many people are becoming frightened that their children might be at risk because they wait for school buses in rural areas while it is still dark outside. Just wondering if this was beginning to be a problem in other areas.

I live in Northern Indiana and ther have been sightings in SW Michigan of a cougar! It has attacked livestock and pets. So there is something around here....

mom4 said:
Never HEARD of any around here. From what I've been told, the panther/cougar/mountain lion has been evicted from this area since about 1805.

Do you remember something on the local news a while back about people seeing a lion running around? It was in the Cincinnati area,which I know is further from you. I think it was about 6 months ago or so. I don't remember hearing if they caught him or not,but several people reported seeing him.

Adam's Apple said:

We did have a loose cow here in Cincy once. The darn thing became famous because they couldn't catch it. Once they did,she was spared her life since she had become such a celebrity,being that she had escaped off of a truck that had several other cows on it!!

krisy said:
We did have a loose cow here in Cincy once. The darn thing became famous because they couldn't catch it. Once they did,she was spared her life since she had become such a celebrity,being that she had escaped off of a truck that had several other cows on it!!
LOL! Loose cows aren't that much of a novelty in this area!
I don't remember the story of the lion. Was it a real lion or a panther?

yep....they are all over the bay area foothills....some stupid jogger gets killed every year

krisy said:

We don't worry about a loose cow here, Krisy. They don't have a history of killing other animals and humans.

manu1959 said:
yep....they are all over the bay area foothills....some stupid jogger gets killed every year

What is being done about these attacks in your area, if anything? Have joggers begun to carry guns with them? In the article I told you about to begin this post, it told about a man who was riding an ATV on one of the wooded trails around here and crashed his vehicle when he unexpectedly spotted a big black panther fairly close to where he was riding. He said from now on when he goes for joy rides in the woods, he will have a gun with him.

Adam's Apple said:
We don't worry about a loose cow here, Krisy. They don't have a history of killing other animals and humans.
Mad cows! Everyone knows they carry guns, knives and baseball bats. If more than five of them get together in one place, they start burning cars and rioting in the streets....

oh that was the 'yutes' in Paris.

Never mind.

The cow that was loose was running around in the city area. Close to downtown. It became somewhat of a joke on the news,of course she wasn't a threat tho.

Forum List

Back