Any Shade Tree Mechanics ?

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
The engine check light came on my dash today after my truck misfired a few times due to moisture. The damn dealership wanted BIG bucks to change plugs, wires, and cap ($380). I told em to screw themselves, took it home and the light went out without me doing a thing. It's my understanding that the light is related to emission control (O2 sensor etc.). I'm gonna just drive it as it is cause I think it was a temporary poor gas/air mixture that resolved itself. Tell me I'm right ?

dilloduck said:
The engine check light came on my dash today after my truck misfired a few times due to moisture. The damn dealership wanted BIG bucks to change plugs, wires, and cap ($380). I told em to screw themselves, took it home and the light went out without me doing a thing. It's my understanding that the light is related to emission control (O2 sensor etc.). I'm gonna just drive it as it is cause I think it was a temporary poor gas/air mixture that resolved itself. Tell me I'm right ?

change the fuel filter

What kinda rig is it, DD?

Your check engine light can be many things... I'm no expert, but I've fixed a bunch of my own problems.

I would damn sure change my own plugs before paying someone that kind of money. That's easy stuff. If you do change out your wires & rotor & cap, make sure you change out one wire at a time, so you don't get lost as to your firing order... it's pretty easy to do.

Air filter okay?

I think you're on the right track, though... I wouldn't worry unless it does it again. Lots of moisture can raise hell with a vehicle with old wires.

If it's a Dodge, a good friend of mine is a master mechanic for Chrysler & I can run your symptoms by him.

It's a Nissan pickup and I appreciate the feedback---I always do my own tune ups and already changed filters. I'm gonna trust all of us and just drive it.
thanks guys !!! :thup: $380 for a fricken tune up ??? :laugh:

Nissan.. do you have 2 plugs per cylinder? As I recall, the rear ones were a real bear to get a socket on.

I had a Nissan Pathfinder with the 6-cylinder in it a couple of years ago that had a bad O2 sensor in it.. the symptoms of that were only that in cold weather (from 20 degrees and colder) is that it wouldn't idle until it was warmed up. I don't remember the Check Engine light coming on except when it was struggling to stay running before it warmed up. Oh yeah, and my fuel economy went to hell, too... running too rich. But once it was warmed up, it ran just fine & never backfired.

The bad news was that it was almost $400.00 as I remember for a new O2 sensor.

it could have been something as simple as the gas cap not being on tight enough. In the newer vehicles that is a common occurance (I know, my wife seems to have a "difficult" time putting the gas cap on right). If the truck is a newer model and the light went off by itself, I bet you a buck that is what was wrong. Had you gotten gas shortly before the light came on?

NightTrain said:
Nissan.. do you have 2 plugs per cylinder? As I recall, the rear ones were a real bear to get a socket on.

I had a Nissan Pathfinder with the 6-cylinder in it a couple of years ago that had a bad O2 sensor in it.. the symptoms of that were only that in cold weather (from 20 degrees and colder) is that it wouldn't idle until it was warmed up. I don't remember the Check Engine light coming on except when it was struggling to stay running before it warmed up. Oh yeah, and my fuel economy went to hell, too... running too rich. But once it was warmed up, it ran just fine & never backfired.

The bad news was that it was almost $400.00 as I remember for a new O2 sensor.

I think the O2 sensors are cheaper now and I was gonna take a flyer and just install one but hey---I can wait now !

freeandfun1 said:
it could have been something as simple as the gas cap not being on tight enough. In the newer vehicles that is a common occurance (I know, my wife seems to have a "difficult" time putting the gas cap on right). If the truck is a newer model and the light went off by itself, I bet you a buck that is what was wrong. Had you gotten gas shortly before the light came on?

Checked that too---I'm thinking the misfire caused too much unignited fuel to blow through and THAT set off the sensor---at least I know NOW that the damn things automatically reset themselves if things return to proper running condition!

Thanks again all !

dilloduck said:

Here ya go Dillo..I find this site very helpful for many do it yourself "?".
In the auto section they have working mechanics that will respond to your question (No Charge).

Here we have a parts store called Auto-Zone that has the equipment
to plug in and read the code that causes that check light to come on..No Charge. Maybe one around you does the same.

http://doityourself.com/

If the light comes on, then goes back dark on occasion, it's likely the O2 sensor - you can drive that way for awhile...but your car could run rich...bad for Cat Converters.

Mr. P said:
Here ya go Dillo..I find this site very helpful for many do it yourself "?".
In the auto section they have working mechanics that will respond to your question (No Charge).

Here we have a parts store called Auto-Zone that has the equipment
to plug in and read the code that causes that check light to come on..No Charge. Maybe one around you does the same.

http://doityourself.com/

Have one right down the street---stupid me--I thought the Nissan dealership might have one of those machines too ! :bat:

Mr. P said:
Sure they do, but ya have to float a loan to use it.

I thought the $90 bucks I paid UPFRONT might give them some insentive---oh crap-I'm getting pissed all over again. Better meditate for a few :rotflmao:

dilloduck said:
I thought the $90 bucks I paid UPFRONT might give them some insentive---oh crap-I'm getting pissed all over again. Better meditate for a few :rotflmao:
I know what ya mean...I avoid dealers unless I have no choice.

I just had a rant a day or so ago about the auto manufacturers an their endless attempts to FORCE us do-it-yourselfers to use them... It started years ago with screws bolts etc that you needed special tools for...we bought them...then they squeezed so much in the engine compartment most Do it yourselfers just close the hood...No time to remove all that stuff just to change plugs. Now the SOBs are making parts specifically brakes so you must replace pads and rotors! ASSHOLES! That wouldn't really be so much of a problem except now they're holding back parts from the after-market, so you either let the Dealer do the work or pay out the ass for "THEIR" parts! I need a horse!

Forum List

Back