Any pure plays in private space launch companies?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
I suspect that the industrialization of space will be the next big thing and while I am primarily interested in launch services any related services such as:

zero-G robotics and machinery to run production facilities.

Cleaning up space junk in near Earth orbit.

Probable killer apps.

I was wondering if with the private launch spaceport scheduled for opening in NM next year if I could start looking for the next Intel or Microsoft of space.

unless you are an accredited investor with access to restricted stock offerings/venture capital co's,none that I know of

I suspect that the industrialization of space will be the next big thing and while I am primarily interested in launch services any related services such as:

Probable killer apps.

I was wondering if with the private launch spaceport scheduled for opening in NM next year if I could start looking for the next Intel or Microsoft of space.

I suspect they will launch from China. Republicans will make sure of it.

unless you are an accredited investor with access to restricted stock offerings/venture capital co's,none that I know of
There should be IPOs in the near future. There are at least 5 US based rocket companies trying to get licenses for providing launch services to the public.

Willie, this industry sounds like it is one glitch away from a fatal accident that might kill 4 VIPs.

See "Space Shuttle" for a preview of the risks involved.

On January 28, 1986, Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrated 73 seconds after launch due to the failure of the right SRB, killing all seven astronauts on board. The disaster was caused by low-temperature impairment of an SRB O-ring, a mission critical component. Repeated warnings from design engineers voicing concerns about the lack of evidence of the O-rings' safety when the temperature was below 53 °F (12 °C) were ignored by NASA managers.[46]

On February 1, 2003, Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated during re-entry because of damage to the carbon-carbon leading edge of the wing caused during launch. Ground control engineers had made three separate requests for high-resolution images taken by the Department of Defense that would have provided an understanding of the extent of the damage, while NASA's chief thermal protection system (TPS) engineer requested that astronauts on board the Columbia be allowed to leave the vehicle to inspect the damage. NASA managers intervened to stop the Department of Defense's assistance and refused the request for the spacewalk,[47] and thus the feasibility of scenarios for astronaut repair or rescue by the Space Shuttle Atlantis were not considered by NASA management at the time.[48]

Space tourism strikes me as premature too but space industrialization is only one killer app away from taking off. And why didn't your reply come up on my UCP?

Space tourism strikes me as premature too but space industrialization is only one killer app away from taking off. And why didn't your reply come up on my UCP?

That assumes that there is a major app out there that can benefit despite the costs of getting to space. Satellites have proven themselves, and military apps certainly could take off.

I just dunno if we have the fossil fuels to support industries in space until we have a quantum energy breakthru. The tourism thingee is banking on a maximum payload value/lb.

Last edited:

That assumes that there is a major app out there that can benefit despite the costs of getting to space. Satellites have proven themselves, and military apps certainly could take off.

I just dunno if we have the fossil fuels to support industries in space until we have a quantum energy breakthru. The tourism thingee is banking on a maximum payload value/lb.
One killer app is the price of gold. Refining materials in space involve close to zero marginal costs but I don't know the price that will be the tipping point.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Probable killer apps.

at least you are consistent...

tourism isn't that far off, but it will be millions of dollars a flight

The Russian space hotel is interesting too. The cosmic ray shielding or lack thereof has not been covered very well. I see many lawsuits ahead.

You prove yourself an idiot with every post.

Virgin Galactic Unveils Spaceport America

www.SpaceportAmerica.com

www.SpaceX.com

d8c3f58f5a70dd17fb0e6a706700a983.jpg

VMS_Eve_and_VSS_Enterprise_over_Spaceport_America_Runway_Dedication_October_2010_Photo_by_Mark_Greenberg.jpg

f004_static_test_2.jpg

Last edited:

One killer app is the price of gold. Refining materials in space involve close to zero marginal costs but I don't know the price that will be the tipping point.

Unless they get the ore from outspace, I doubt that this is going to make processing Au cheaper.

The cost to get the ore into space is far greater than the value of the gold they can extract from it.

Unless they get the ore from outspace, I doubt that this is going to make processing Au cheaper.

The cost to get the ore into space is far greater than the value of the gold they can extract from it.
There are large quantities of ore out there, Aten and Apollo asteroids for example.

Forum List

Back