Any other fly fishers here?

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
I feel the fever coming back on. After 5 years of "starting the business," I am stepping out more often after Christmas and taking more time to myself and my family. First on the list is a return to my favorite waters in western NC (Nant, Robbinsville, Davidson, the Park, and others) which means a week or two of tying and getting the gear ready beforehand. After NC, its on to Virgina and the S.F of the Holston, the Watauga, and the Smith.

Who else is obsessed like me, and where do you fish?

I am not obseessed, however I used to fly fish a lot. And various other types of fishing as well.
A good friend now fishes the Red Man fishing circuit.

I learned to use a fly rod on bass and bream, and still do occasionally, but I caught my first trout 25 years ago, and it ruined me. I lived on Lake Martin in Alabama for 20 years, but burned out on bass. You fish for bass......but you hunt trout :)

I will admit though, there is nothing more fun than bedding bream and a 1wt rod! (unless they're bedding in a COLD river) :)

I learned to use a fly rod on bass and bream, and still do occasionally, but I caught my first trout 25 years ago, and it ruined me. I lived on Lake Martin in Alabama for 20 years, but burned out on bass. You fish for bass......but you hunt trout :)

I will admit though, there is nothing more fun than bedding bream and a 1wt rod! (unless they're bedding in a COLD river) :)

Big bluegill in the spring with small Gains yellow rubber legs poppers is lots of fun.
I have fished trout in Oregon, Washington, NC , Idaho, etc.
I lived in Oregon for a while and in NC as well. I have a friend who runs a hunting fishing lodge in Idaho.

Fly fish? No. But I am pretty handy with one of these.

Fly-swatter.jpg

I could never figure out fly fishing.

I prefer deep sea bottom fishing. There just doesn't seem to be any thrill unless there are things in the water that can swallow you whole.

I haven't fly fished in years... I grew up in Suffolk, Va. and fished all the local lakes around there. Lake Mead, Lake Kilby and also lots of places in NC such as Coinjock, Spot, Popular Branch, and Pungo. Caught my share of bass, bream, speckles and just about anything else that you could get on a hook. Catching bream on a fly rod is for sure fun. Caught a 5 pound bass on the fly rod once and managed to get it landed. I wondered who had who! Love that surf fishing and pier fishing on the Outer Banks too. Fishing isn't the greatest thing in the world but it's pretty close.

I haven't fly fished in years... I grew up in Suffolk, Va. and fished all the local lakes around there. Lake Mead, Lake Kilby and also lots of places in NC such as Coinjock, Spot, Popular Branch, and Pungo. Caught my share of bass, bream, speckles and just about anything else that you could get on a hook. Catching bream on a fly rod is for sure fun. Caught a 5 pound bass on the fly rod once and managed to get it landed. I wondered who had who! Love that surf fishing and pier fishing on the Outer Banks too. Fishing isn't the greatest thing in the world but it's pretty close.

5lbs, huh?

Were you catching live bait?

The largest fish I've ever caught on a fly rod was a 147# tarpon in Key West in 1990. I have caught fish so small, they literally couldn't get the gap of the hook in their mouth, but managed to get the point somehow. Largest Bass on a fly rod was 8#.....on a 4wt rod :)

But my favorite thing of all is fishing for wild trout during winter with light gear (nothing heavier than a 3wt rod, and preferably my 1wt). The largest fish I've caught on the 1wt was a 5# rainbow in the Soque in North Georgia, and the largest trout I've caught was a 9# brown that I took out of the Davidson in NC on a 3wt.

Big is fun, but light gear and a moving river are the ultimate for me.

Forum List

Back