Any opinions on entry level digital SLRs?

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
I am leaning towards the Nikon D3200, but I am curious to see what people here say about the various models.

I've got a D60 that I bought about 5 years ago. It's plenty of camera for my needs. And a lot less expensive. You'll be paying for bells and whistles that you may never figure out, or use.

I have a Canon T3i with a EFS 18-200mm lens. I am very pleased with it. The lens makes a big difference I have had that for several years. I bought the T3i body only as this lens has everything I am looking for.

I used a Nikon FM2 for years but on going to digital I wanted a smaller camera similar to my Leica M. I went with the Olympus EP. If anything drives an old darkroom photographer crazy it is dust. The Olympus does a great job of cleaning the sensor. I also have a Sony Nex7 and just this week noticed the smudges in skies that indicate dust. Cleaned and will test later today. My brother likes the Pentax for the protective body and lens cleaning too. Something to think about if you get serious. A few good sites below.

Digital Photography Review

The Luminous Landscape

Some interesting lessons here. You can survey a few to see if they fit the bill.

Digital Photography Principles: The Camera | Video Tutorial from lynda.com

"...My own approach is based upon three considerations. First – hands off ! Whenever I photograph I do not molest or tamper with or arrange. Second – a sense of place. I try to picture as part of its surroundings, as having roots. Third – a sense of time. Whatever I photograph, I try to show as having its position in the past or in the present." Dorothea Lange

Do you really need interchangeable lenses? There are very good models with 24 - 700 zooms and 14m pixels. Even my 'old' Fujifilm S9500 brought home incredible photos from Yellowstone this year that everyone raves about.

Agree, I also find that I treat a weighty camera with more respect as if it has more value. However, some days I do get tired of it around my neck.

I agree, but, I would not have it another way. I have a carrying case Lowepro ex160 that I take with me everywhere I bring my camera. That eases the burden. It may look cumbersome, but, it makes things much more manageable. Also, I do not have to worry about smashing my camera or damaging it in my travels.

7178.jpg
<<<this is not my picture or my camera.

attachment.php

Forum List

Back