Any non-partisan conservatives here?

im conservative, and dont care for the dems, the reps, the tea party, or any other party. They are all crap.

It's hard to parse the two. You're identifying people based on their set of political beliefs but don't want to hear about which party they generally support. That's a tall order.

Democrats are more cohesive than Republicans. In common parlance that means they are more partisan. I don't think it's really a bad thing.

Everyone has to have a name these days, you can't just have an opinion on something. If you aren't partisan then you're an ideologue. You can't win for losing.

I don't think it's possible to have a private individual who has a particular political leaning and isn't partisan to a fairly large extent. I'm a conservative, I generally support the Republicans, didn't vote for McCain or Bush for president or governor because they're a couple of liberals. Does that make me non-partisan? I don't think so. I despise the Republicans, but not as much as the Democrats, and I'll keep voting Republican to keep the Democrats out, provided they aren't just Democrats with an R after their name like Bush and McCain. Does that make me non-partisan? I don't think so.

im conservative, and dont care for the dems, the reps, the tea party, or any other party. They are all crap.

I rather doubt that most people here who identify themsevles as conservatives really understand what conservatism really is.

It's an approach to problem solving...not a grocery list of things one must believe.

I have the same complaint about most self indentifying liberals.

People seem to confuse supporting the Dems with being a liberal, and supporting the Reps as being consevative.

I don't think either party lives up to being either conservative or liberal.

Parties tend to operate pragmatically, not idealistically.

Their rhetoric might be idealistic, but their actions are mired in the real world.

Just curious.
(I never see any in my area.)

You'll find that virtually every conservative here is an "independent." I don't know if their claimed rejection of both parties qualifies them as non-partisan, but it sure seems to me that 1. Every move the Democrats make has zero benefit and "Will destroy our country," and 2. Every problem we have is the fault of a Democrat or Democrats, sometimes decades ago.

For that matter, there seem to be a lot of "independents" that march in lockstep with Democrats as well.

In fact, now that you bring it up, I can't think of anyone who's identified themselves as a proud Republican. There has been innuendo about how great the Republican party was before they lost their minds, but I don't know that there's anyone here who will admit to being a Republican and supporting the party here and now.

I rather doubt that most people here who identify themsevles as conservatives really understand what conservatism really is.

It's an approach to problem solving...not a grocery list of things one must believe.

I have the same complaint about most self indentifying liberals.

People seem to confuse supporting the Dems with being a liberal, and supporting the Reps as being consevative.

I don't think either party lives up to being either conservative or liberal.

Parties tend to operate pragmatically, not idealistically.
Their rhetoric might be idealistic, but their actions are mired in the real world.

The hi-lited part is the problem with the parties. They just can't seem to figure out that the "grocery list" eliminates many from their "tent".

Just as an example: Abortion. If you are a Conservative, it seems to me, you should be in favor of privately funded abortion when needed. Without the Abortion option, a whole slew of programs are needed to support unwed mothers, subsidize child rearing expenses, Child Care assistance programs for working single mothers, Child support payment enforcement... In short, the government must become larger if abortion is illegal.

If you are a Liberal, believing that it takes a village and so forth, you should oppose or at least harbor no strong feelings about abortion and yet the litmus test for most Liberals involves support of the "right" to have an abortion.

Liberals can find this "right" in the Constitution, but the "right" to bear arms somehow eludes them in the same document.

Conservatives routinely want to reduce spending, but don't really see the problem with maintaining Super Carriers. What's wrong with this picture?

To my way of thinking, which is admittedly a bit skewed, the party affilliation and the political philosophy routinely force contraditions that the party hacks rationalize away.

Being a true Liberal or Conservative almost demands that you be in conflict with both parties.

Being a true believer from either party demands that you suspend the need for rational thought.

If you aren't partisan then you're an ideologue. You can't win for losing.

well who or what creates the benchmark 'conservative' ?

is it the populace's general gestalt?

is it the government's?

or is it the response/ exchange bettween the two?

~S~

A conservative registered as unaffiliated (Michigan-speak for independent) and active in the west MI Republican party. Wasn't happy at all with Bush's spending, aided and abetted by Republicans in congress, and know plenty of other Republicans who felt the same way, whether conservative or not.

Just curious.

They say they are moderate but they really are partisan hacks. Even the Libertarians lean way right. We have a few that could be considered Independent but they're even questionable.

You should seriously just be what you are claiming and assume the rest of us are what we claim to be. Decide later.

I do not know what you would consider me. I do not vote party lines. I look at the individual candidates and see what they are planning to do. The one who is matches me the closest is the one I will support. It does not matter the political party. Then again I am not a true conservative so I would not qualify.

I do not know what you would consider me. I do not vote party lines. I look at the individual candidates and see what they are planning to do. The one who is matches me the closest is the one I will support. It does not matter the political party. Then again I am not a true conservative so I would not qualify.

This is how ALL voters should vote, in my humble opinion. You would be classified as an Independent. While you may lean conservative, you are not partisan enough to vote ONLY for one party or the other.

Last edited:
Said it many times on this board.

If Hillary won the Primary and her opponenet was McCain, this conservative was voting for Hillary.

She very well may have my vote in 2012.

In view of what's been goihng on in the USA the last 20 or so years, it looks like things work better when the government is divided. Whether dominated by the Reps or the Dems, things get messed up royally. While voting for the man is a good ideal to follow, in the future, I'm definitely gong to have an eye on the totals in DC to help assure that we don't end up with another set of triplets ramming things down our national throat that end up bad for the overall end result.

If you're happy about going to war when the national interest is not threatened or mortgaging the nations future for an unpopular set of entitlements, all of which are ill-concieved, poorly planned, sold through lies and deciet and based on corruption and pay offs, then you love the last 10 years.

The two wars that are still going on and the upcoming debacles of the Health Insurance Reform and the Financial Reform to correct the banking industry when in truth it was the loan originators that were the problem are all going to cripple us for decades and may end us as the thing that was once the USA.

It's too bad. We had a good thing going.

It's possible that future history books will class the USA and Carthage in the same basic category except that the latter was murdered and the former committed suicide.

Just curious.

due to the tendency of so many hard core conservatives to be filled with mindless and irrational hatred for anyone who isn't lockstep with their beliefs I generally prefer to NOT be associated with them.

however
many of my ACTUAL beliefs and stances can easily be considered "conservative";

smaller government
lower taxes
personal responsibility
the right to own guns
pro-business (especially SMALLER businesses)
keep government out of our private lives
STRONG military
I oppose ALL forms of MANDATORY insurance (health, car, home)

I also embrace what could be considered more liberal positions (but in reality are what any self-respecting conservative should understand);

woman's right to choose for herself
pro-legalization pot
pro-legalization prostitution

additionally I oppose WELFARE for LIFE
but I support TEMPORARY WORKFARE with governmental assistance for education and job search

I also strongly support separation of church and state while also strongly supporting a persons' right to practice whatever religion makes sense to them.....
a position REAL conservatives would embrace

In my opinion I'm a BETTER CONSERVATIVE than most so-called conservatives today....
including, with all due-respect, so many of the tea party members who sound far too much like WHITES ONLY CHRISTIANS ONLY aryan facists than real conservatives

Forum List

Back