Any Network experts out there?

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
I need some network information for a small office.

Pros/Cons on servers. Are they really needed? Can a ethernet system work just as well?

We currently use ethernet but I'm hearing tons of complaints.
To many people have been tinkering with, if the truth be told.

Anyway, suggestions and info. would be much appreciated.

For a small office I would recommend a server connected throughout via ethernet. You'll also need a switch/hub to accomodate the amount of users in the office. For a server the easiest would be XP server or Windows 2000 server. For the most part, an install directly from CD would be all you would need. After that you'll just need to create users accounts.

You'll connect the server to a port on the switch and then run an ethernet cable from each workstation to the same switch. Network printers can be setup the same way. I would recommend direct IP printing for any printers.

From each station you can map a drive to the server and that's where they can share data and/or backup their files.

That's it in a nutshell. You can PM me if you have any questions, or just ask here. Maybe someone else will pop in that's more knowledgeable.

Hope that helps!

It would depend. Will your small office be connected to the internet?

If so I would recommend a Unix Firewall between your server and the internet as well as the suggestions from Jim above.

Use the server to regulate access so that people can only access those things they need and there will be less "mucking" with the system.

Peer to Peer networks can cause issues that can be resolved using a server.

Forum List

Back