Any more Democrats??

ScreamingEagle said:
It appears that you believe in Truth (the principle of Love).

That is good to hear, because when you get around to truly understanding Conservatives you will come to know that we base our political beliefs and laws upon the principles of Truth and Love as well as Reason. Are not Truth and Love absolutes as well as Principles to live by?

You must certainly agree that every society must have Law to provide for order and sanity. In our society every situation actually does get its own deliberation - in a Court of Law.

Truth is not a principle I hold without fail. If my daugther was to ask if she looked pretty in a not so flattering outfit, I would not tell her the truth.

And yes, it does please me that our courts are Ad Hoc to a degree.

MJDuncan1982 said:
Truth is not a principle I hold without fail. If my daugther was to ask if she looked pretty in a not so flattering outfit, I would not tell her the truth.

And yes, it does please me that our courts are Ad Hoc to a degree.

And so our entire society will continue to wear unflattering outfits...

In a nutshell, this is how liberals think and why we have the problems we do.

Surely the question is how these "absolute truths" are arrived at. To hold that something is an absolute truth when evidence to the contrary grows stronger and stronger is just sheer foolhardy stubbornness. For centuries it was an absolute truth that the Earth was flat and lay at the centre of the Solar System. Fortunately people with open minds who allowed themselves to consider that things might not be as the absolutists said they were, established that the world and the universe were not that simple.

MJDuncan1982 said:
I'll admit that I respect those who understand what I believe should be understood. Yes that is circular but there comes a point where no believe has any foundation.

And I do not say you are absolutely wrong for believing in absolutes. It is my opinion that it is not wise but as I said before I always leave a door in my mind for the opposing opinion and welcome arguments to the contrary.

Fair enough.

For all of those in this country who are impressed with the President’s “steadfastness” and decisive decision making in foreign affairs and rigid adherence to basic principles, I have just one request to make. Consider what the world today might be like if Bush, with his approach of rushing to judgment, had been in charge during the Cuban Missile Crisis instead of President Kennedy? Would Bush have stood up to the Generals who advocated bombing and even invasion? Would he have ignored Khrushchev’s second letter and responded just to the first? Would Bush have pulled our missiles from Turkey or would he have reused to respond to blackmail?

Kennedy handled the dangerous situation with judgment and sensitivity a tact that seems, from Vice president Cheney’s recent criticisms, to be out of step with this administration’s hard-line approach. I for one am frightened by this President’s approach and can just be glad that, as dangerous as the world is today, it is not at the same level of risk as it was in those awful days in October of 1962.

How would you choose to deal with todays terrorists, if you don't mind my asking? Surely you wouldn't invite them in for tea, and ask them if there's something bothering them that you can help with...

You'd get your head cut off...

Dave Willis said:
I have just one request to make. Consider what the world today might be like if Bush, with his approach of rushing to judgment, had been in charge during the Cuban Missile Crisis instead of President Kennedy?

There wouldn't have been a crisis because hypothetical-'President Bush' would have properly supported the Bay of Pigs invasion and there would have been no communists in Cuba for the Soviets to arm to begin with.

Zhukov said:
There wouldn't have been a crisis because hypothetical-'President Bush' would have properly supported the Bay of Pigs invasion and there would have been no communists in Cuba for the Soviets to arm to begin with.

I agree. President Bush isnt afraid to confront evil so Cuba would have been taking care of. Im surprised Reagan didnt take care of Castro but i guess taking out the Soviets is enough for his legacy:)

Forum List

Back