any linux users here?

You're confusing market share with quality. VHS won out, but Betamax was superior from a technical standpoint.

and you still have a library of beta max tapes around, don't you? How did THAT turn out? Please, don't let me step in the way of becoming the next Laserdisk

A funny animation ....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVs6oPsts5A]YouTube - KillerTux: Linux vs Windows - The final battle[/ame]

Ooooh ... touch screen video from 2 years ago ... wonder what OS had that first ....

YouTube - 3D Desktop! TouchScreen and XGL on Linux!

WHAT OS WILL ACTUALLY MAKE MONEY OFF OF IT?

:rofl:

...and be compatible..

...and be used by 97% of the end user population....

Linux is far more compatible than Windoze, but as I said, until you have worked with both you won't realize that.

Then stop being a giant pussy and take my bet....

:eusa_whistle:

6 months

Then you shouldn't have a hard time CITING EVIDENCE, eh?

and, an IPOD? give me a fucking break. :lol: You know goddamn well that Itunes makes goddamn sure that it's app runs on windows or else no one would bother buying Apple's PRIMARY product.

the shit you people say just to feel less ignorance than you convey is cracking my shit up this morning.

This isn't your state, genius. this is the internet. Feel free to find another excuse to avoid the FACT of your dismal os market share in any time frame you want to name.

Shogun, I've been reading the responses back and forth here and I have a question.
Why are you being such an arrogant, dismissive ass?
Is your income derived in any way, shape or form, directly or indirectly from microsoft, it's affiliates or products?

uh, welcome to USMB, Noobsticle.

When you people start posting evidence like I can instead of running to the comforting embrace of each others' "expertise" then perhaps you'll be worth being civil to. But, since we both know that you'd rather avoid the facts than admit the truth feel free to either cry about me to the mods (of which Koder is one) or block my posts.

:thup:

Noobsticle???

You are a dick, no two ways about it. Besides you didn't answer my question as to your motivation. I don't cry to the mods or block posts. Honestly the argument is a case of "what does this have to do with the price of tea in China" issue. I wasn't discussing the facts which I am well aware of, I was discussing your approach and motivation. In general people don't attack something/someone except out of fear.
Remember I was a outside observer until I posted my observation and asked the question. One would know that gives me a perspective an insider can't see.

You're confusing market share with quality. VHS won out, but Betamax was superior from a technical standpoint.

and you still have a library of beta max tapes around, don't you? How did THAT turn out? Please, don't let me step in the way of becoming the next Laserdisk

You also realize that CDs didn't become "standard" until after a decade of being the almost unknown. DVDs existed for several decades before they became a standard, now they dominate .... even Bluray has been around a lot longer than you think. Us "geeks" are the ones that choose the next tech, not you, you just use what we endorse. Computers themselves were not popular by anyone except us geeks, and now you can't live without them. Bill Gates is a business geek, and he admitted he doesn't know a damned thing about computers but relies on us tech geeks for what's best ... but Microsucks hasn't been in his hands for some time now, and the new moron in charge doesn't listen to geeks, thus why he's a moron, kinda like you. The geek in any industry is what sets the standard, you users are just pawns, too stupid to understand what's really going on, too slow to catch onto the trends before they become standard, and so wasteful we can charge you a fortune for something that's relatively easy to do in the first place. So I don't mind you being an idiot user, but please, leave the tech discussions to us adults, okay? We'll let you know when the new standard comes out so you can rush to the store and waste a fortune on what we tell you to buy when the time is right. ;)

I currently have Ubuntu on my desktop, a laptop and dual boot with Ubuntu primary on another laptop.

I do have one issue, maybe KK can help me through. I bought a Verizon wireless USB760 for wwan. It works fine with the Verizon VZAccess Manager in Windows, but for some reason Verizon didn't make one for Linux. Wine doesn't seem to be able to run it. I've some Ubuntu community threads, but mine seems to be a special case. Any thoughts?

There should be a standard driver in Ubuntu for it, since the protocols would be the same as any others, but messing with the internet connection manually can be a pain. Let me see if I can find anything on my channels really quick then I'll get back to you on that. The USB may be why your system isn't automatically recognizing it on it's own.

It's a multifunction device. It recognizes the USB storage part of it, but Network Manager doesn't recognize the modem part of it. I've tested it enough to find out that I can manually dial out and get connected. So, it's really the interface with Network Manager that needs some assistance. I've tried manually inputting the info in the Wireless BB section but Network Manager doesn't show up as an option to connect.

Thanks for your help.

You might try removing network manager, and installing wicd. In my opinion, wicd is a much better interface, than network manager, that comes with Ubuntu.

Shogun, I've been reading the responses back and forth here and I have a question.
Why are you being such an arrogant, dismissive ass?
Is your income derived in any way, shape or form, directly or indirectly from microsoft, it's affiliates or products?

uh, welcome to USMB, Noobsticle.

When you people start posting evidence like I can instead of running to the comforting embrace of each others' "expertise" then perhaps you'll be worth being civil to. But, since we both know that you'd rather avoid the facts than admit the truth feel free to either cry about me to the mods (of which Koder is one) or block my posts.

Noobsticle???

You are a dick, no two ways about it. Besides you didn't answer my question as to your motivation. I don't cry to the mods or block posts. Honestly the argument is a case of "what does this have to do with the price of tea in China" issue. I wasn't discussing the facts which I am well aware of, I was discussing your approach and motivation. In general people don't attack something/someone except out of fear.
Remember I was a outside observer until I posted my observation and asked the question. One would know that gives me a perspective an insider can't see.

HAHAHA! FEAR? is THAT what your silly fucking dimestore psychology tells you? :rofl:

THAT is rich. Listen, nooberdoober, you might want to sit back and take in the, uh, VISTA :)lol:) before laying down on your couch, Signoob Freud. You might discover a thing or two about the people who post in this forum longer than your big bad month and a half. if you want to go ahead and think of my posts as the input of an asshole then so be it. Again, you probably want to block me now and save yourself such inquiry in another thread. I would suggest, however, that you find another hobby besides noodle mosaic level psychoanalysis. Then again, I also suggest that you use a real OS so...

There should be a standard driver in Ubuntu for it, since the protocols would be the same as any others, but messing with the internet connection manually can be a pain. Let me see if I can find anything on my channels really quick then I'll get back to you on that. The USB may be why your system isn't automatically recognizing it on it's own.

It's a multifunction device. It recognizes the USB storage part of it, but Network Manager doesn't recognize the modem part of it. I've tested it enough to find out that I can manually dial out and get connected. So, it's really the interface with Network Manager that needs some assistance. I've tried manually inputting the info in the Wireless BB section but Network Manager doesn't show up as an option to connect.

Thanks for your help.

You might try removing network manager, and installing wicd. In my opinion, wicd is a much better interface, than network manager, that comes with Ubuntu.

Hmm ... that may be advice for me to follow on my laptop. I never liked the default network manager either but since my desktop only has one constant connection I don't deal with it much, but my laptop may be a good place for it.

You also realize that CDs didn't become "standard" until after a decade of being the almost unknown. DVDs existed for several decades before they became a standard, now they dominate .... even Bluray has been around a lot longer than you think. Us "geeks" are the ones that choose the next tech, not you, you just use what we endorse. Computers themselves were not popular by anyone except us geeks, and now you can't live without them. Bill Gates is a business geek, and he admitted he doesn't know a damned thing about computers but relies on us tech geeks for what's best ... but Microsucks hasn't been in his hands for some time now, and the new moron in charge doesn't listen to geeks, thus why he's a moron, kinda like you. The geek in any industry is what sets the standard, you users are just pawns, too stupid to understand what's really going on, too slow to catch onto the trends before they become standard, and so wasteful we can charge you a fortune for something that's relatively easy to do in the first place. So I don't mind you being an idiot user, but please, leave the tech discussions to us adults, okay? We'll let you know when the new standard comes out so you can rush to the store and waste a fortune on what we tell you to buy when the time is right. ;)

yea, consumers SURE didnt choose vhs over beta!

:lol:

if this is the kind of "adult" expertise you have then take my bet.. come on, koder.. don't be a giant puss.

Thanks for your help.

Hmm ... that may be advice for me to follow on my laptop. I never liked the default network manager either but since my desktop only has one constant connection I don't deal with it much, but my laptop may be a good place for it.

:clap2:

:clap2:

how many choices of network managers do you have in Windoze? :eusa_whistle:

Hey Shogut, can you edit any (and I mean any) context menu in Windoze?

hey dork, would the average OS user WANT TO?

go play with your hobby OS, koder. We both know why you avoid betting on the market share of ANY linux distro.

Hey Shogut, can you edit any (and I mean any) context menu in Windoze?

hey dork, would the average OS user WANT TO?

go play with your hobby OS, koder. We both know why you avoid betting on the market share of ANY linux distro.

:lol: Why? Lots of reasons, one so they can launch an app directly from anywhere without having to access the primary menu ... so they can create macros to simplify common tasks ... so they can do quick searches in their own documents ... etc. etc. etc.

Why do you ignore the fact that you are just wrong, market shares don't show who uses what.

Forum List

Back