Any Lefties Anywhere Want To Tell Us How Great Cancelling Nuclear Plants Was?

Dante, That's like comparing Russian made Commercial Jets to American Commercial Jets..

Russian's suck at building and flying their planes, on the contrary Airbus and Boeing know how to build jets, just look on how many planes crash in Iran and the middle east..

Point is, It's irrational.

And tell me, how many times has another "Chernobyl" Happened?

Russian planes are no more dangerous than Boeing or Airbus. The difference is in the maintenance. Countries like Iran generally use older aircraft which require more maintenance. Then they short the maintenance and crashes result. When Boeing and/or Airbus planes are not maintained properly they crash just as often as Russian built planes that are not maintained properly.

So you want the power but you NIMBY it.:cuckoo:

i think if she wants it so badly it should be next door to her.

Why? With vast amounts of unpopulated land across the United States, why is it necessary to locate any nuclear power plants in any neighborhood?

That's a pretty desperate argument on your side, but you do get 10 Points For Consistency.

There are few spots in this country where a nuclear accident wouldn't effect the population. Also, since you seem to have missed the point: You're advocating for nuclear power, but you don't want it anywhere near you. Look up the word "hypocrisy".

One area in which I wish we resembled the French is in the area of using nuclear power as a major energy source.

I agree.

Considering the negative effects of our petroleum dependency - oil spill and national security risks - do any of the Lefties want to explain why closing nuclear power plants and preventing new ones from being built was such a good idea?
its actually one of the things I don't agree with the rest of the left on. That and stricter gun control measures.

There are few spots in this country where a nuclear accident wouldn't effect the population. Also, since you seem to have missed the point: You're advocating for nuclear power, but you don't want it anywhere near you. Look up the word "hypocrisy".

You left out the part where I said I don't want an airport or a football stadium located next to my house either.

And you are wrong about the amount of empty land across the U.S.

There will be another Chernobyl - but - NOT in the USA. It will be in those countries like Iran and N. Korea and then the USA and all industralized countries will have to go in and do the clean-up! But AFTER it has taken millions of lives! It will come from a third world country who have no clue about safety.

because it's not like three mile island was here or anything...

Dante, That's like comparing Russian made Commercial Jets to American Commercial Jets..

Russian's suck at building and flying their planes, on the contrary Airbus and Boeing know how to build jets, just look on how many planes crash in Iran and the middle east..

Point is, It's irrational.

And tell me, how many times has another "Chernobyl" Happened?

Russian planes are no more dangerous than Boeing or Airbus. The difference is in the maintenance. Countries like Iran generally use older aircraft which require more maintenance. Then they short the maintenance and crashes result. When Boeing and/or Airbus planes are not maintained properly they crash just as often as Russian built planes that are not maintained properly.

That's exactly my point..

I'm comparing how we handle stuff on our side and comparing it to the Russians..

Just like comparing how we would handle Nuclear Plants in our Country to the Russians handling it..

There will be another Chernobyl - but - NOT in the USA. It will be in those countries like Iran and N. Korea and then the USA and all industralized countries will have to go in and do the clean-up! But AFTER it has taken millions of lives! It will come from a third world country who have no clue about safety.

because it's not like three mile island was here or anything...

Technology has changed dramatically since Three Mile.

If the French can do it, so can we.

You left out the part where I said I don't want an airport or a football stadium located next to my house either.

But you're not advocating for airports or stadiums.

Oh? And how far is this "empty land" from the nearest town or city? Also how easy would it be to build there?

One area in which I wish we resembled the French is in the area of using nuclear power as a major energy source.

Considering the negative effects of our petroleum dependency - oil spill and national security risks - do any of the Lefties want to explain why closing nuclear power plants and preventing new ones from being built was such a good idea?

I'm not a leftie, but here goes...one word...Chernobyl

chernobyl.jpg

And before that!

threemileislandreactor.jpg

Three Mile Island

Last edited:

But you're not advocating for airports or stadiums.

Oh? And how far is this "empty land" from the nearest town or city? Also how easy would it be to build there?

Hello? I use airports: I go to football stadiums; I shop at Costco. I don't want any large facility in my residential neighborhood - for all of the obvious reasons regarding traffic and security.

The location of plants depends upon investment in transmission lines. Here is CA, the entire grid has deteriorated and is completely inadequate. Regardless of the source of energy, it needs to be upgraded.

Have you flown over the country and looked out of the window? The empty space dwarfs the populated areas.

Really?

How cost effective is cleaning up an enormous oil spill?

Cost effectiveness is a red herring. Once up and running, they are very cost effective.

no ma'am they are not. none have shown a profit and the energy they deliver costs far more than a fossil fuel plant.

Hello? I use airports: I go to football stadiums; I shop at Costco. I don't want any large facility in my residential neighborhood - for all of the obvious reasons regarding traffic and security.

There is a difference between use and advocacy, they are not synonyms.

The location of plants depends upon investment in transmission lines. Here is CA, the entire grid has deteriorated and is completely inadequate. Regardless of the source of energy, it needs to be upgraded.

Have you flown over the country and looked out of the window? The empty space dwarfs the populated areas.

Subjective observation, fly over the L.A. basin and tell me what you see.

Last edited:
Really?

Cost effectiveness is a red herring. Once up and running, they are very cost effective.

no ma'am they are not. none have shown a profit and the energy they deliver costs far more than a fossil fuel plant.

If you are going to post something like that, provide some proof.

So if I don't advocate for nuclear power but just use it, you don't think I should have to have a plant next to my house? (What a moron you are.)

Outside of the basin, a lot of desert within reasonable distance for transmission lines.

Really?

what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Once up and running, they are very cost effectiveyou got proof for that?

i'll see what i can find. i get a minimum of $50/hr for this kind of work so don't expect too much on a freebie squeezed in to a reasonably busy week.

Really?

Excuse me....
Entergy, which owns 11 nuclear power plants, saw its income increase 45% as the cost of its atomic power started looking cheap compared to rising price of coal and natural gas-fired electric generating plants.

The company made a whopping $221.7 million on sales of power from its nuclear power plants, up 73% from a year earlier, according to Bloomberg.

Entergy Profits Up 46% on Nuclear Power Boom - thedailygreen.com

Nuclear power is economically competitive with coal, and generally considered much
cheaper than oil or natural gas. In one joint study by several agencies and independent
groups, 11 out of 19 counties found nuclear power to be at least 10% cheaper than coal-
fired power. 7 more of the countries found the prices to be nearly equivalent.
Nuclear Power vs. Fossil Fuels

what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Once up and running, they are very cost effectiveyou got proof for that?

i'll see what i can find. i get a minimum of $50/hr for this kind of work so don't expect too much on a freebie squeezed in to a reasonably busy week.

WTF? :cuckoo:

So if I don't advocate for nuclear power but just use it, you don't think I should have to have a plant next to my house? (What a moron you are.)

This is called a strawman. Fairly typical of the type too.

Outside of the basin, a lot of desert within reasonable distance for transmission lines.

Didn't say outside the basin. The point, which you keep trying to obsfucate, is that there are small towns, cities, etc. almost everywhere, plus when chernobyl blew the radiation travelled halfway around the world. Please show me a place in this country that would be immune to such a disaster.

Really?

Excuse me....
Entergy, which owns 11 nuclear power plants, saw its income increase 45% as the cost of its atomic power started looking cheap compared to rising price of coal and natural gas-fired electric generating plants.

The company made a whopping $221.7 million on sales of power from its nuclear power plants, up 73% from a year earlier, according to Bloomberg.

Entergy Profits Up 46% on Nuclear Power Boom - thedailygreen.com

Nuclear power is economically competitive with coal, and generally considered much
cheaper than oil or natural gas. In one joint study by several agencies and independent
groups, 11 out of 19 counties found nuclear power to be at least 10% cheaper than coal-
fired power. 7 more of the countries found the prices to be nearly equivalent.
Nuclear Power vs. Fossil Fuels

Thank you!

Forum List

Back