Any Kentucky Derby Fans Here?

orogenicman

Darwin was a pastafarian
Jul 24, 2013
This will be my first time in many years that I won't be in Louisville during the Derby. But as a diehard Derby fan, I will always have a place in my heart for it. My pick for this year's Derby is Dortmund.

RACE REPLAY 2015 Santa Anita Derby - YouTube

with six wins, this massive horse has a huge stride, and a great post position. With his pedigree (Big Brown), he will be unbeatable.

I looked at the Derby website and found something that interested me. There were at least two owners of horses that appeared to be decent people. The one owner Mrs. Moss owns a horse named Frammento and she and her husband (a retired military pilot) gave much money to charities to benefit children and young people. Her horse was given 99-1 odds but that means nothing to me. God could give him the victory irregardless.

Then I found another owner who had hired a woman trainer (the only one) and she looks to be a lovely girl. I also noted he chose a jockey named Raphael who is a very devout Christian and prays before every race for the safety of others - and I found his story to be quite moving. He suffered a serious injury some time ago and is healed. Interesting because the name Raphael means Healed by God. I liked that.

But what I also liked was that the owner of Bolo - the horse he will ride - is a man who survived the nazi WWII era having been born in Austria and he went to work at the age of 14 yrs old. His name is Mr. Stonach and he later became a billionaire through much hard work. This was very touching to me - I believe he is Jewish.

He has publicly stated that he owns race tracks in America and that he is going to do what he can do to stop the abuse of horses - to stop the use of drugs on horses in order to win races - I felt this was quite honorable. His hair is snow white which is usually found on the heads of the godly.

To add to this story - he was written about by the Jewish press more than once and he made a large financial offering to a Jewish organization in Israel to assist with building needs for the Jews! This convinced me that I should pray for his horse Bolo to win. And so I did.

This will be my first time in many years that I won't be in Louisville during the Derby. But as a diehard Derby fan, I will always have a place in my heart for it. My pick for this year's Derby is Dortmund.

RACE REPLAY 2015 Santa Anita Derby - YouTube

with six wins, this massive horse has a huge stride, and a great post position. With his pedigree (Big Brown), he will be unbeatable.
I like getting drunk and wearing a bowtie! So yes I suppose I'm a bit of a fan :thup:

American Alchemy

I've been watching the Kentucky Derby on TV since 2006. I'm a fan of horses, equine medicine, and sportsmanship, and the Kentucky Derby seems to pay nice attention to the care and concern for the actual horses racing.

Firing Line is my favorite this year, but numerous people are making chatter about American Pharoah.

Remember the James Bond film "A View to a Kill" (1985), which featured a villainous Christopher Walken character dabbling in horse-racing?

I think The Phantom (King Features Syndicate) is the only famous comic book superhero who rides a horse. There's also Paul Revere's horse and the Shakespeare surrendering line, "My kingdom for a horse..."

:afro:

James Bond Film

pH.jpg

I like the Derby. This year I got good news and bad news. The good news is that I picked the trifecta right on the nose. The bad news is that my asshole friend who was supposed to lay down my bet in Vegas today didn't get it down. I'm going to beat that boy like a drum when he gets back here.

Watch it every year...reminds me of when I watched it every year with my mom and a some home made sammiches...and some really good scotch.

Microfiche MC

When I go to a local library, I want to find microfiche records of past Kentucky Derby winners.

Sure, the Triple Crown is great, but I wan to read about Kentucky Derby winners on microfiche.

Microform/microfilm/microfiche is the perfect medium to appreciate the historic preservation of what is basically the quintessential 'animalia sports event' --- the Kentucky Derby.

"Microfilm first saw military use during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–71. During the Siege of Paris, the only way for the provincial government in Tours to communicate with Paris was by pigeon post. As the pigeons could not carry paper dispatches, the Tours government turned to microfilm. Using a microphotography unit evacuated from Paris before the siege, clerks in Tours photographed paper dispatches and compressed them to microfilm, which were carried by homing pigeons into Paris and projected by magic lantern while clerks copied the dispatches onto paper" (source of information: Wikipedia).

:afro:

Kentucky Derby

Microform

aig.jpg

Forum List

Back