Any ice fisherman out there? Finally ice thick enough to fish!

evenflow1969

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2016
Ohio
I am heading out for my first ice fishing excursion of the year tomorrow and want to sign up for some ice fishing tournements in febuary. I am plannin to do at least the ice brawl on Indian lake. Any one already get out? And does any one have tournies to suggest?

Not I.

I got a honey hole for snook/yellows/reds when it gets cold though.

I suppose tis illegal, cuz you gotta step on Mangrove pencils to get there.

Pffffft!

What kinda fish y'all catch up that way?

Last edited:
I am heading out for my first ice fishing excursion of the year tomorrow and want to sign up for some ice fishing tournements in febuary. I am plannin to do at least the ice brawl on Indian lake. Any one already get out? And does any one have tournies to suggest?
Good luck! Stay warm.

Don't need to go ice fishing, ice is plentiful in my freezer.

Not I.

I got a honey hole for snook/yellows/reds when it gets cold though.

I suppose tis illegal, cuz you gotta step on Mangrove pencils to get there.

Pffffft!

What kinda fish y'all catch up that way?
Perch,croppy,walleye,sauger,saugeye . I like perch,walleye best in the pan. That stuff is awesome with out blackening. Every other fish I blacken and smother with cayanne pepper. I love that cajjuun hot stuff. I have to travel about forty minutes north to get ot ice thick enough right now. I am going to fish all night tonight with a young buck, I have never fished with before. Met him on the ice fishing forum up here. From his photos this guy knows the deal. Maybe an new ice brawl partner? Would love to win some tourneys this year. Placed second in a croppie tourny last year, other wise not the greatest year on the water for me. Good year hunting though, been getting a couple of coyotes a week at least. My first trip deer hunting this year with twelve guys went really well. We got twenty in a week end. I was going to post some photos but can not find my freeking phone to get them off of. My best freind got a 400 pound boar first time out this year. I am blanked on that on e so far. Duck and goose season went realy well. The day I wnet to collect my blind when it was over with was 53 degrees. There were more boats on the lake that day than on the fourth of july. Realy strange but I did some croppie fishing that day. Realy bad day for it the water was muddy as hell only caught two big enough for the pan, but still got to spend the day with two freinds of over thirty years. Also got to chase some eagles around the lake. Grand lake has had an explosion of eagle population over the past few years. There is a spot in the game reserve there where there are forty or more eagles nests in a space of a football field. Absolutely incredible to witness.

If you want real adventure, go ice whaling. Consider the size of the hole.

Stolen from Scott Alarik

If you want real adventure, go ice whaling. Consider the size of the hole.

Stolen from Scott Alarik
I have seen video of the inuits doing it. I will try any thing once. Not jumping up and down about going to the arctic for it though.

Would often see the shanties out on Sandusky Bay but it's not popular at all here in the Phoenix area.
Sandusky bay? You an Ohioan? Port Clinton is my favorite week end get away! Chatting with several people fishing east harbour right now. Good catch rates up there right now. I am heading to deleware dam tonight I guess. Was not going till tomarrow on indian lake but got invited to go on Deleware Dam tonight with some guys from my ice fishing forum.

You an Ohioan?

My 1st 27 years I was a Buckeye. Avon Lake High School, BGSU, 5 years in Columbus after college.
Last 37 here in Arizona. Have a couple of brothers still back there in Ohio. Both retired teachers, one in Delaware and another in Defiance.
I kinda of live half in Toledo and half in Columbus. Pregrad Toledo, post grad OSU. Tried to ice fish Deleware Dam today but the ice was not thick enough. Had to go twenty minutes north to much smaller body of water. The action was good flags poppin all over the ice 3 of us caught about thirty five in four hours, how ever they were all to small only two keepers out of all I caught. I am not going to bother carving two up so I gave them to one of the other guys. I left a little early to prepare for a super bowl party, hopefully they got enough keepers for some one to carve them.

Forum List

Back