any help for a minor annoyance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommywho70x

Rookie
Apr 15, 2010
this is so trivial i have to apologize for even starting a thread about it.

great board. best i've found in years. nice folks --- especially fun population of critters getting a bit grey in the gills.

helps keep the level of interplay a little more intelligent, dignified and humorous than the thrash and bash fests and dumbass infantile remarks you see in most places on the web nowadays.

thanks to the folks that run it and play in the pen.

the problem is that ads are opening up on me without clicking on anything which is really annoying when i'm reading a thread or typing a response.

anybody know why this is happening and what to do about it?

Umm I have popup blocker enabled I think in my browser.

However you might also have Malware and need to fix that up.

I use Malwarebytes program to clean that up.

great board. best i've found in years. nice folks --- especially fun population of critters getting a bit grey in the gills.

helps keep the level of interplay a little more intelligent, dignified and humorous than the thrash and bash fests and dumbass infantile remarks you see in most places on the web nowadays.

the problem is that ads are opening up on me without clicking on anything which is really annoying when i'm reading a thread or typing a response.

You use this board for free and you have the gall to bitch about a few ads?

Firefox.

• Banned

does that mean for only $14.99 a year the ads will only open if i click on them?

i don't think it's malware. this machine scans clean every day (AVG and Spybot run automatically --- yeah, yeah, i know. there are better programs)

i also use a lot of public terminals where the same thing happens --- pass over some of the ads with a mouse pointer and they open up without a click.

• Banned

Firefox.

come to think of it i should probably pay closer attention. i use both firefox and the internet exploiter. the last few days i've been using IE 8 and it's been happening quite a bit.

i'll use firefox for the next few days and see what happens. 10Q

Smugness noted.

You get a sense of humor from the ads, do ya? They're stuck there to get your attention. People paid to put 'em in front of your face. Like it or not, ads ain't free here. Neither is gettin' 'em outta yore face.

(And you think I don't have a sense of humor! :lol:)

:lol: n ...and wants to advertise here fer free!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Firefox.
Damn, Dude! You make it so simple!...spoil all the fun!

does that mean for only $14.99 a year the ads will only open if i click on them?

i don't think it's malware. this machine scans clean every day (AVG and Spybot run automatically --- yeah, yeah, i know. there are better programs)

i also use a lot of public terminals where the same thing happens --- pass over some of the ads with a mouse pointer and they open up without a click.
Sucks to be you, doesn't it?

Firefox.

come to think of it i should probably pay closer attention. i use both firefox and the internet exploiter. the last few days i've been using IE 8 and it's been happening quite a bit.

I think you have got on to something...you need to pay closer attention. Let us know what happens.:rolleyes:

sounds like a case of subconcious clicking to me.
Very common but most are in denial.

no, i'm not bitching about the ads. i love advertising. sometimes it's much more entertaining than the site i'm visiting or the dunderheads posting into it.

what i'm concerned with is ads that open on their own. i have used hundreds of these sites for free over the years and this is the first time something like this has happened with any frequency.

nice try but this happens when i'm typing and nowhere near the mouse or sometimes when i'm using the scroll something will just fly open.

I use Firefox, thanks to users here discussing it one day (thanks Paulie, et al), and I get no ads opening unless I click on them. Firefox also loads pages a heck of a lot faster than IE.

Smugness noted.

You get a sense of humor from the ads, do ya? They're stuck there to get your attention. People paid to put 'em in front of your face. Like it or not, ads ain't free here. Neither is gettin' 'em outta yore face.

I think you have got on to something...you need to pay closer attention. Let us know what happens.:rolleyes:

i think you are reading a lot into what i write that i didn't intend.

i definitely wasn't looking for free advertising. i just want to be able to post a link to the family company along with technical articles about the class of IT Equipment we represent. not quite the same thing.

frankly given the level of tech knowledge i'm seeing here i don't think any of you are likely to be purchasing power conditioning equipment that costs 100 times as much as your laptop any time soon. i don't think "Corporate Technology Purchasing Agent" matches any usmb poster child's job description.

if you need an enemy, please go find somebody who likes to be insulting and confrontational, okay?

;

No. She's using a touch pad mouse and the snap is too sensitive. Dumb blonds do that a lot, too.

No. She's using a touch pad mouse and the snap is too sensitive. Dumb blonds do that a lot, too.

yo schmuck. i've forgotten more about the way computer hardware behaves than you will ever know and i'm not female.

the snap is just fine and this has happened on machines with scroll mice. i'm leaning toward the browser being to blame.

i'm also leaning toward ignoring you. you want to be rude go ahead --- i won't empower you with a response.

Smugness noted.

i think you are reading a lot into what i write that i didn't intend.

i definitely wasn't looking for free advertising. i just want to be able to post a link to the family company along with technical articles about the class of IT Equipment we represent. not quite the same thing.

frankly given the level of tech knowledge i'm seeing here i don't think any of you are likely to be purchasing power conditioning equipment that costs 100 times as much as your laptop any time soon. i don't think "Corporate Technology Purchasing Agent" matches any usmb poster child's job description.

if you need an enemy, please go find somebody who likes to be insulting and confrontational, okay?

;
I think you can do that in your signature, dude. I'm not sure. Ask Gunny.

You haven't been here long enough to see the level of tech knowledge on hand. So you represent a good filter that costs a hundred times the worth of my laptop? I design tech shit that costs a million times your net worth...anytime soon.

I need no enemies.

asaratis, be nice.

I like Tommy!

thankee.

i misunderstood some attitude and called him/her? an ugly old cur which in my dog world is a compliment but offense was taken. i tried to apologize once but the thread got closed and it may not have been seen.

i'm glad you poked in here. i accepted your invitation but the notification didn't go away. what am i doing wrong?

yo schmuck. i've forgotten more about the way computer hardware behaves than you will ever know and i'm not female.

the snap is just fine and this has happened on machines with scroll mice. i'm leaning toward the browser being to blame.

i'm also leaning toward ignoring you. you want to be rude go ahead --- i won't empower you with a response.

Candyass! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back