Any guitar players?

Most people think that people dance to the Drums. In reality, they dance to the Bass. The drums sets the rhytm but the bass sets the pace. The Bass is tied directly with the bass drum. And the Bass is a fraction of a second ahead of all the rest of the music. Low notes take longer to reach a distance so it has to start first. Otherwise, it drags. What you learned was that the Drums and the Bass are actually one instrument played by two different people in cooperation. No matter what the rest of the band does, if those two are in sync the music will be good. If they aren't it's going to suck. I have had a fill in drummer that I have sat on for 4 long hours forcing him to play a certain way. It's a long friggin night for both of us. We might be playing Country but he tries to play Punk Rock. But a good, veteran bass player can force him to play country. Trust me, they won't be taking long walks in the park and taking hot showers together in the future.

But I have known only two drummers that I have been completely comfortable with. It just clicked. I had a drummer work with me at an early time and he made me better. The other was at an open jam. He wasn't in music but he and I just clicked and easily made music. And you could tell it in the crowd.

Love bass intros.

epZcwTz.jpg

I use too but I was never very good. Bass and rhythm mostly. I got into jazz and found out how much I sucked so gave it up. Tried it again several years later when a friend gifted me a guitar and I still sucked so I gave it up again. The guitar and amp from the last attempt are still setup down in the man cave.
I found the advances in sound and digital processing between the periods of activity pretty amazing.

I use too but I was never very good. Bass and rhythm mostly. I got into jazz and found out how much I sucked so gave it up. Tried it again several years later when a friend gifted me a guitar and I still sucked so I gave it up again. The guitar and amp from the last attempt are still setup down in the man cave.
I found the advances in sound and digital processing between the periods of activity pretty amazing.

In 1973, I had my left hand smashed. I lost the use of two of my fingers for the next year. I gave up playing serious. My Doctor called me a damned fool for giving up. He said play and I might get the use back. I couldn't bend my index finger at all. So I learned the proper way to use bar cords and started using all the rest of the fingers. I played an old Hofner 12 string with 6 strings on it. I would loosen the strings up after playing and wipe the blood off the neck before I hung it up on the wall each day. I took work as a sound man. I resurfaced 4 years later as a bass player. I could no longer play the gitfiddle like I could as I never did get all the use back to my index finger.

I don't know when it happened. But I took time off in the 90s. But I lost it. My hearing went. My hands jammed up. My voice went. By the late 2000s, I learned this when I tried to reenter. There comes a time that we all have to admit we can no longer do it. But our hearts are still in it even when the body can no longer do it. I still plink around once in awhile but get angry at myself and just put the guitar away after about an hour of playing.

Enjoy it while you have it. It won't last forever. Make the most of it. It's damned hard work working 8 to 12 hours a day at your trade to stay where you need to be. But it's worth it.

This is from one that has worked Professionally and does not apply to others. If you don't play Professionally and don't spend the time honing your trade then please play just for the joy of playing. I know that even with all that hard work, I still played for the pure joy of playing but I expected a lot. And as long as I could physically do it, I got it by working my ass off. Now that it's gone, I damn sure do miss it. Forget drugs, Music is the real Drug to many of us.

Forum List

Back