Any experts on Military Policies? Re: Chaplains? This one is in trouble..

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
for praying...

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9158214/detail.html

NORFOLK, Va. -- A chaplain stationed at Naval Station Norfolk said he could face court-martial for praying in uniform outside the White House.

Lt. Gordon Klingenschmitt said he prayed at a March 30 protest opposing Department of Defense rules forbidding military chaplains from invoking the name of Jesus Christ.

He's accused of violating an order not to appear in uniform at news conferences in support of personal or religious issues.

The issue seems to hinge on whether his praying at the event was permissible participation at a bona fide religious service. Klingenschmitt is rejecting non-judicial punishment in favor of trial by court-martial.

In addition, he's filing a complaint against the Navy claiming the threat of punishment against him amounts to religious harassment and he's appealing to the White House to end what he claims are the military's attempts to take reprisals against a whistle-blower.

Note Bolded part - I have NEVER heard of such a directive from DoD - yes, Soldiers/etc, can't demonstrate WHILE In uniform...but is there a rule governing HOW a Christian chaplain would pray?

dmp said:
those don't show the 'official policy' as 'one cannot pray to Jesus' as the first article suggests.
Ok. They do lead you to believe that there is a policy, however. Unless it's just a conspiracy. Which I suppose it could be. Is there a policy? I'm pretty sure there is. Do I have it in front of me? No.

The ClayTaurus said:
Ok. They do lead you to believe that there is a policy, however. Unless it's just a conspiracy. Which I suppose it could be. Is there a policy? I'm pretty sure there is. Do I have it in front of me? No.

That's my question - I've never before heard of a "regulation against praying 'to jesus'"

Regardless, it sounds like the guy is in trouble for subordination more than praying to Jesus. He was told not to show up, and he did, in uniform. Seems pretty clear to me.

Forum List

Back