Any event that changed your mind on a topic

Sep 12, 2008
I used to be anti death penalty, back in the days when I was still wet behind the ears. What really froze my position was the story of Carl Cletus Bowles.

During the 1960's he shot and killed a Lane County deputy and was sentenced to death for that. Oregon later dropped the death penalty, and Bowles was put back into the general population.

In 1974, while he was on a conjugal visit with a pen pal, he tied her up and fled. When the cops found out he was gone, they chased him all over, and had him cornered in Eugene. He broke into a house, kidnapped the householders, put them into the trunk of their own car and drove them to Spokane, where he killed them.
He also kidnapped another couple in Idaho.

He was given 75 years for the kidnapping charges and two additional life terms for the murders.

The last I heard, he was still in prison in Florence Colorado.

As far as I am concerned, he should have died back in the late sixties for the first murder, rather than allowed loose to commit two more.

Any news story change your mind in a big way over the years?

I was pro-welfare in my youth, then after meeting many poeple on the system, I figured out most people on welfare had no business being on it.

Didn't care that much about taxes until I went from a part time job making minimum, to a full time making twice as much but only taking home about $50 more.

I used to be anti death penalty, back in the days when I was still wet behind the ears. What really froze my position was the story of Carl Cletus Bowles.

During the 1960's he shot and killed a Lane County deputy and was sentenced to death for that. Oregon later dropped the death penalty, and Bowles was put back into the general population.

In 1974, while he was on a conjugal visit with a pen pal, he tied her up and fled. When the cops found out he was gone, they chased him all over, and had him cornered in Eugene. He broke into a house, kidnapped the householders, put them into the trunk of their own car and drove them to Spokane, where he killed them.

He was given 75 years for the kidnapping charges and two additional life terms for the murders.

As far as I am concerned, he should have died back in the late sixties for the first murder, rather than allowed loose to commit two more.

I always ask those that are against it; "What if it was your......?"

My views on the death penalty were influenced by those who sat on death row before being exonerated by DNA evidence.

If we are the State and killing an innocent man is murder, then we are all murderers if the State kills an innocent man. If we are all murderers and murder warrants the death penalty...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wntitiiLotk]YouTube - P&T Bullshit!-The Death Penalty Part 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKSV9F_-VdU]YouTube - P&T Bullshit!-The Death Penalty Part 2[/ame]

I was left leaning until Jimmy Carter became president, fucked everything up, and then was tossed out on his fucking ear. Reagan came along with his values and completely changed mine.

Back in the good old days, police would agree between themselves that they would not take some people in. They knew those people were animals and you can't live with animals. They did a service to the community like the soldiers who killed the enemy on a daily basis.

BTW, how can a judge give someone 2 life sentences?

Back in the good old days, police would agree between themselves that they would not take some people in. They knew those people were animals and you can't live with animals. They did a service to the community like the soldiers who killed the enemy on a daily basis.

BTW, how can a judge give someone 2 life sentences?

^^^^ :clap2: ^^^^​

My daughter once wrote from college to ask my opinion as to whether Islam was a religion of peace or violence. I responded with multiple links to benevolent websites presenting Islam as an enlightened, benevolent, tolerant religion, and chose to accept that as the case.

Then came the Palestinian/Israeli conflicts with Hamas and Hezbollah, and 9/11 followed by increasing pressure for more and more accommodation of Islam in European nations, increasing instances of violence around the world, and leftwing promotion of Islam in this country. I started reading the Islamic 'holy books' and looking at history and those websites more closely.

And while I still maintain that there are Muslims who are educated, enlightened, and committed to peace, I no longer see Islam as a religion that promotes such virtues, but rather is quite the opposite.

Any event that changed your mind on a topic

I used to think Mike Huckabee was wonderful until this:

Four years earlier, Huckabee also pushed for the parole of rapist Wayne Dumond despite chilling testimonies from victims and their relatives that he was a dangerous criminal who would strike again. Ashley Stevens, a 17-year-old cheerleader when Dumond raped her, told ABC News in 2007 that she put her face inches from Huckabee's and said, "This is how close I was to Wayne Dumond, and I will never forget his face, and you will never forget mine. He's the one that raped me."

But Dumond, serving a life sentence for raping Stevens, was released in 1999 following reported public and private efforts by Huckabee on his behalf. Within a year of his release, he was accused of raping and murdering two more women. He was convicted of raping and murdering one of the women and returned to jail, where he died in 2005.

Mike Huckabee Clemency Freed Maurice Clemmons, Washington Cop Shooter Suspect - ABC News

Okay, I lied. I never liked Huckabee. :cool:

I honestly can't think of one event that has changed my mind on a topic. Not that I've never changed my mind on anything, it just generally seems to be a slow, dare I say, evolutionary experience where the more i learn and refine what I understand the more my values shifts. The more I make choices the more i understand my own power and the God who gave me that power and what human beings are capable of.

Forum List

Back