Any cat experts?? Help me!

Oct 8, 2009
I have kind of inherited a cat. She's "owned" (in as much as any cat is "owned") by my neighbour who is terminally ill in hospital. I promised I would take care of said cat - who is adorable - but I know next to nothing about cats.

So, can cats be bulemic? Because every time she eats, she's sick. She seems fine and dandy otherwise. Can you overfeed a cat?

I'll take her to the vets if necessary - I don't mind stumping up some cash to care for her - but I'd rather know if it's something I'm doing wrong. I haven't changed her catfood or anything so I don't what I can do. I like her so I want to make sure she's ok.

It sounds like fur balls to me - this is very common, very natural and not difficult to cure.

All she needs is a little Lactulose oil mixed in with her next meal. You should be able to pick some up from any vet supply store. That helps her shit them out. (Cod liver oil, butter or olive also work, but not so well. You can also just dab a little on her paws, which she will lick off)

But the best bet is a trip to the vet for an x-ray.

• Banned
Thanks both. I'll do that in the meantime and get her to the vets asap. Don't want her suffering.

Does she look underweight and malnourished? How long has she been doing this? I say vet.

Cats are something like four times more susceptible to physical malignancies than humans. I agree that going to the vet is a very good idea.

She is homesick and misses her owner....get her to the vet, they may give an IV to feed her...cats can not go without food/ nourishment for long without messing them up inside...get a sweater or piece of clothing from the owner that she can sleep on and soak in the smell of her, that she is used to....

Also, give her a lot of love and petting if she lets you and make her feel like your home is her home and this is not temporary.

A girl I worked with went to Paris on vacation...she had a few people from work stop by her house to feed her cat while she was away...they alternated....well, none of them ever physically saw the cat eat, but all thought the cat was eating, when they got there if old food was left in the bowl, they cleaned it out and gave the cat new, fresh food....when they got their turn. None communicated with eachother, just did their duty of putting fresh food and water in the cat's feeding dish....by the time the girl had gotten home, the cat was nearly dead from lack of nourishment, she had to take it to the vet for an IV and nourishment...the doc said the cat was missing her and sick that her owner was not around, and this is why the cat did not eat.

Something like this could be what is going on with this cat you inherited, It could be sick to its stomach because she misses her owner. :(

Also, there are FUNDS out there, to help pets who have terminally ill owners that can help pay the vet bill...ask the receptionist at the vets office....

Matt and I recently rescued a stray that we had to have fixed, (unknown to us, she was already pregnant) and there was a fund the receptionists told us about and connected us with for helping to "fix" strays, that paid 1/3 of the Vet costs to do such, and the Vet then contributed 1/3 of the cost, (of which could be writen off of his taxes) and we paid the other 1/3 of the costs...

But as said, my best guess is that the cat is lonely for its owner, and the "way it was" before her owner became ill. :(

care

• Banned
She is homesick and misses her owner....get her to the vet, they may give an IV to feed her...cats can not go without food/ nourishment for long without messing them up inside...get a sweater or piece of clothing from the owner that she can sleep on and soak in the smell of her, that she is used to....

Also, give her a lot of love and petting if she lets you and make her feel like your home is her home and this is not temporary.

A girl I worked with went to Paris on vacation...she had a few people from work stop by her house to feed her cat while she was away...they alternated....well, none of them ever physically saw the cat eat, but all thought the cat was eating, when they got there if old food was left in the bowl, they cleaned it out and gave the cat new, fresh food....when they got their turn. None communicated with eachother, just did their duty of putting fresh food and water in the cat's feeding dish....by the time the girl had gotten home, the cat was nearly dead from lack of nourishment, she had to take it to the vet for an IV and nourishment...the doc said the cat was missing her and sick that her owner was not around, and this is why the cat did not eat.

Something like this could be what is going on with this cat you inherited, It could be sick to its stomach because she misses her owner. :(

Also, there are FUNDS out there, to help pets who have terminally ill owners that can help pay the vet bill...ask the receptionist at the vets office....

Matt and I recently rescued a stray that we had to have fixed, (unknown to us, she was already pregnant) and there was a fund the receptionists told us about and connected us with for helping to "fix" strays, that paid 1/3 of the Vet costs to do such, and the Vet then contributed 1/3 of the cost, (of which could be writen off of his taxes) and we paid the other 1/3 of the costs...

But as said, my best guess is that the cat is lonely for its owner, and the "way it was" before her owner became ill. :(

care

Thanks for that. I am spending time with her and I take her over to her 'home' when I go over to check the house out. She does seem to like me, follows me around and I give her a lot of attention - she even sits with me when I'm working. I bought her bed and bowls and stuff over. She doesn't seem to be losing weight either... she's a chunky monkey!

I'm totally ok with paying for her myself... I know I could take her to the local shelter and they would take her in but I don't want to do that. I'll either bring her back to the US with me or find a good home for her as and when I have to. I'm getting waaay too attached to her. She only has one eye and she's very funny.

• Banned
Thanks all for the replies. Most helpful for this non-cat person - I am rapidly reevaluating cats! I like them a lot!

If you win their trust they are very wonderful animals.

She sleeps on my bed - when I let her - so I guess that's a good sign. She knew me anyway cuz I used to go visit the old guy who owned her a lot. Tomorrow I'm gonna call the hospice and see if I'm allowed to bring her in to visit him. I think he'd like that.

She sleeps on my bed - when I let her - so I guess that's a good sign. She knew me anyway cuz I used to go visit the old guy who owned her a lot. Tomorrow I'm gonna call the hospice and see if I'm allowed to bring her in to visit him. I think he'd like that.

Cats can be wonderful companions, CG, but they are also a living reminder that life is short and the end can be pretty tough. I had two lifetime pets that needed because of their suffering to be put down in a two month period, and I discovered just how affected I have been by their absence. Still ~~ knowing what I know now, I still would not have missed the experience of those two fur balls in our lives.

Cats can be wonderful companions, CG, but they are also a living reminder that life is short and the end can be pretty tough. I had two lifetime pets that needed because of their suffering to be put down in a two month period, and I discovered just how affected I have been by their absence. Still ~~ knowing what I know now, I still would not have missed the experience of those two fur balls in our lives.

I grew up with dogs - and horses and a variety of pets but not cats. Losing any of them is like losing family... at least to me.

Yes, I think we personalize our relationship with pets because (1) we need love, and (2) they don't judge ~~ as long as you feed them on time!

I just got a cat similar to yours but mine has a bad case of the craps, loose stool. he is a little tip for you instead of a overpriced vet go to your local animal shelter, some have vet services at a real low cost. get the same treatment at a third of the cost. good luck with your new little buddy. once it gets to know you, you will have a good friend for life.

I have kind of inherited a cat. She's "owned" (in as much as any cat is "owned") by my neighbour who is terminally ill in hospital. I promised I would take care of said cat - who is adorable - but I know next to nothing about cats.

So, can cats be bulemic? Because every time she eats, she's sick. She seems fine and dandy otherwise. Can you overfeed a cat?

I'll take her to the vets if necessary - I don't mind stumping up some cash to care for her - but I'd rather know if it's something I'm doing wrong. I haven't changed her catfood or anything so I don't what I can do. I like her so I want to make sure she's ok.

She probably is adjusting or has hair ball problems!
One tip, never use one of those continuous water feeders, they breed bacteria and cause many cats to get very sick.

I bet that would be wonderful for the old guy.

Your a nice person.

Thanks all for the replies. Most helpful for this non-cat person - I am rapidly reevaluating cats! I like them a lot!

What kind of food is she eating and is the cat eating the same food she was eating with her owner? If not sometimes cats become sick for a little while adjusting to changing foods. I am wondering if you are feeding her exclusively soft, can food? Not a good idea

Good luck with the cat CG

If it is hairballs a home remedy, is take about a 1/2 teaspoon of vaseline and place it it the cats jaw, the cat has no choice but to swallow it, then all the hair will come out the other end :D :redface:

Last edited:
Who can take the catnip
give it to the cats
Make 'em claw the carpet, roll around and all that

The Candy man
The Candy man can
The Candy man can cuz he gives 'em catnip
and makes the cats feel good

Last edited:

Forum List

Back