Any ATV Owners Here?

Creek_George

Feb 15, 2007
Northern Minnesota In A Cabin
I just bought the Honda Fourtrax Rancher ES 4x4...Gots a 420 in it.

No complaints thus far..There fun as hell to ride..Not to mention a great asset for those who live out in the sticks.

I can't wait for using this puppy for ice fishing this winter.

Attachments

• $pic1.jpg
    $pic1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 144
family has an older 350 Yamaha Big Bear. Still runs great so no real need for a new one. I'm not big on a lot of the new models anyway cause there seems to be a trend to automatics. Is that what yours is? that just takes all the fun out of it if you ask me.

family has an older 350 Yamaha Big Bear. Still runs great so no real need for a new one. I'm not big on a lot of the new models anyway cause there seems to be a trend to automatics. Is that what yours is? that just takes all the fun out of it if you ask me.

I know exactly how you feel...

I had several off road bikes years back..and one has a hard time accepting the automatic thing with the new ATVs...

One thing I've noticed is those with no experience with a clutch...the automatics show there experience big time...when changing/when to change gears in tune with the engine...When riding for there first time.

Ya gota let off the throttle..and use buttons..(up,or down to change the gears).

It's not totaly automatic...though Honda does make a model that is 100% total automatic...hit the throttle..and go...That kinda squirms me...because I..."I" like to be in charge of changing/when to change gears etc..

So it's not like that with most models...You do change gears...but instead of using your foot to shift,and a clutch...ya let off the gas to change gears,and use your thumb to change gears on the handlebar(buttons)...So really it's just lacking using a manual clutch to change the gears now-a-days..

But back to what I said..with those with no experience doing things the old school way...I'd advise those with no experience with the old way..to learn the old way..Ya understand the machine better..listen to the engine when to change gears in perfect tune etc...

So it's just adjusting to so called "modern technology"...or accepting it.

I do know what ya mean though..I suppose having one with a clutch,and so use to that...that I'd have a hard time wanting to lose that feel..BUT once ya get use to it..it's the exact same once ya hone up on the thing.

I've rode both..Older,and newer machines..Makes no difference to me.

It's not a trend..it's just like anything else..a snowmobile,or a 4'wheeler..they keep coming out with better ones every year..They improve on them..Alot would tell you this in an improvement..to make it more fun..Not taking the fun out of it.

Polaris has/had some..just high & low gear..I thought that was a hard thing to accept..especialy when doing some serious riding..but the machine kicks ass.

These machines last forever...and hold there value big time.

I don't plan on buying another one ever again...because these things do last forever..

The real only difference when it comes down to our machines in reality...is I can ride mine barefoot...hahahahaha...:)

Being I'm experienced in off road crap..and old school myself makes me understand how ya feel on this automatic thing....It's just a phobia ya have...:)

I'm lucky as hell..that where I live..I can ride the thing every day of the week...I even use it to go to town,to the grocery store...It's a blast!!..:)

I thought about your reply..to some depth..How the "F" could an automatic take the fun outa riding one of these bastards??...(smile).

No offence....It's not like turning the thing on..and put it in drive...:)

Ya let off the thottle..and change gears via the thumb....You can still ride those deep holes..and put the power where need be...To say all the fun is takin out of the automatics..is being a thumb sucker..Same dam thing squeezing the clutch in,leting off the gas,and changing gears by foot..but way improved..

Technology catches up with us all some time..and when it comes to a sled..or ATV's makes it all the better.

Fuel injection has come a long ass ways too...Liquid cooled is also another nice asset to have.

You & I..and everybody else knows Honda puts there reasearch into improving...Not a so called a powerhouse a war..I've had great bikes that are Yamaha...I aint gona knock em...

But to say all the fun is takin out of the new automatics...that I'd say a majority of riders would take them for a ride..before that antique in your parents garage.

I didn't mean to goat ya into an arguement using the "antique" word about your machine...I just love my new machine..and standing up for it..like a parent would for there child is all...

Peace...

Hey Guys, Here's wishing you all a nice evening.
I'm a "new" guy here and I need help in asking a question.
How do I post a question ? Really sorry to break in on your thread.
I Appreciate your help - - - - caveman

Hey Guys, Here's wishing you all a nice evening.
I'm a "new" guy here and I need help in asking a question.
How do I post a question ? Really sorry to break in on your thread.
I Appreciate your help - - - - caveman

you could start a new thread on the question i guess....I am new here too.

Expedition 425 Polaris here. It is an older model, well maybe 8 years old or more. We own some land and it really has allowed us to open the land up and make it more useable. I nearly killed us the first time, wear them helmets, then my son turned it over twice and lived. Husband finally banned all use except for use around the land. No more joy riding, they are powerful machines. He has an apairy and uses it a lot for that, firewood and things like that. I still like to get on it and go riding, just with much more caution.

I would prefer a newer model but then we are talking some good hard cash. Sorry we eat at the construction table, no unneeded expenses.

I've only been out on an ATV twice (Suzuki King Quad 700 with 26" mudlights). It'll be a long time before I'm allowed out on it again (mind you I'm 40-something) because I rolled it. My boyfriend was AMAZINGLY patient, which is major feat for him because he has no patience at all). When we got it upright, he said he has never seen anyone flip an ATV like I did. Being the smarta$$ that I tend to be, I responded by throwing my arms gleefully up in the air yelling "yeah!!!" like I just scored a game winning-touchdown. He didn't share my enthusiasm. LOL:eusa_shifty:

BTW. . . I faired a lot better than the machine. It had a few more bumps and bruises than I did.

I've only been out on an ATV twice (Suzuki King Quad 700 with 26" mudlights). It'll be a long time before I'm allowed out on it again (mind you I'm 40-something) because I rolled it. My boyfriend was AMAZINGLY patient, which is major feat for him because he has no patience at all). When we got it upright, he said he has never seen anyone flip an ATV like I did. Being the smarta$$ that I tend to be, I responded by throwing my arms gleefully up in the air yelling "yeah!!!" like I just scored a game winning-touchdown. He didn't share my enthusiasm. LOL:eusa_shifty:

BTW. . . I faired a lot better than the machine. It had a few more bumps and bruises than I did.

when i wrecked i figured i had killed both of us. I remember laying face in the dirt, well held a bit out by the helmet rim and my hubby going...are you okay....talk to me...i was so surprised to be alive.

did a few hundered to the atv.

For all ATV enthusiasts here are a few good sites to check out:<div style="padding:4px 0px 0px 0px">
<table class="tborder" cellspacing="1" border="0" width="100%" align="center">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="padding:0px" align="center">
<font size="1">Looking for information on other ATV Manufacturers? Head on over to visit our friends on these other forums specializing in the following:</font>
<font size="2"><b>
<a href="http://www.kawasakiatvforums.com">Kawasaki ATV</a> - <a href="http://www.can-amatvforums.com">Can-Am ATV</a> - <a href="http://www.polarisatvforums.com">Polaris ATV</a> - <a href="http://www.suzukiatvforums.com">Suzuki ATV</a> - <a href="http://www.yamahaatvforums.org">Yamaha ATV</a> - <a href="http://www.hondaatvforums.net">Honda ATV</a>.</b>
</font>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>

Well I rode a Honda 250 Big Red three wheeler for the longest time and sold it this past year. I think I regretted it the day after and still do. We still have a Honda 250 quad which my son rides and we use at the track as a pit bike. We don't get out to the trails too much anymore, but, every now and then we get lucky and can fit it in. They are handy, great for hunting, pit bikes, we take it to the larger car shows and so on. That old Big Red was tough to beat, bury it in mud or snow, it didn't matter.

Ever since I was 10 years old, I have always had at least one Yamaha in my garage. We have two now, my old cruiser and a scooter. I have considered upgrading my cruiser many time, but this old baby is too damn good to part with. Great machines. In my young days I use to hill climb race with a 250.

Spring? Oh no Dan, get the snow suit out and get that quad out on the snow! I can't do it anymore but my boy loves the snow.

Forum List

Back