ANWR Drilling to be passed in House today

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
ANWR here we come!

------------------
House Ready to Pass Energy Bill
By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The House is set to approve an energy bill that would open an Alaska wildlife refuge to oil drilling and provide billions of dollars in benefits to energy industries, but critics say it does little to reduce the nation's thirst for oil.

The legislation, expected to be voted on by the House on Thursday, is certain to produce a confrontation with the Senate over protection of the Alaska refuge and over a provision in the bill that would help makers of a water-polluting gasoline additive deflect environmental lawsuits.

By a vote of 231-200, the House late Wednesday rejected an attempt to strip from the bill a section to allow oil drilling on the coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in northeastern Alaska. The House has given the go-ahead for drilling there twice in the past four years, only see the issue die in the Senate each time.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&e=4&u=/ap/20050421/ap_on_go_co/energy_bill

BR-549 said:
Drilling mother earth for the mother lode..
Bout time they drill something other than the public...(free drugs. CC companies and banks can really rape you now, legally.. no SSI fix, cept to maybe raise the retirement age, geeezzz). Gawd, one would almost think the GOP IS the party of big business....

gop_jeff said:
How? By forcing you to pay your debts?
I hope ya never have to find out jeff.
Much, much more is in this new law than people know..Like I said when this first came up..a few weeks back..wait to see grandma on the street..then maybe people will pay attention..

Let there be no doubt here..I too think people should pay their debts..But, There's WAY more to this new law than you know or may feel good about. Granny, with her bad hip and other illness is toast, to the street with the old bat!

Mr. P said:
I hope ya never have to find out jeff.
Much, much more is in this new law than people know..Like I said when this first came up..a few weeks back..wait to see grandma on the street..then maybe people will pay attention..

Let there be no doubt here..I too think people should pay their debts..But, There's WAY more to this new law than you know or may feel good about. Granny, with her bad hip and other illness is toast, to the street with the old bat!
well fill us in, please.

I may be wrong,,,But he's my understanding of one change.....

Okay...here's a good scenario...
Grandma an grandpa retire..they don't have much, just a house paid for.

They sell there house and move to Fla. with every intention to work a little
to pay for the very small mortgage say $30k they will have on a new house.

Soon (about a year) old grandpas heart stops..He dies...no insurance,
and they were not yet on ssi... Grandma can't work but that pesky mortgage payment is there..plus $100k from grandpas' heart attack.

She intends to repay....WHEN SHE CAN WORK...
Granny gets behind on the mortgage and they start foreclosure..

Can she file for bankruptcy? No! The new law requires 2 year residency.
Grandma is on the street!!!

EDIT:Even under current law...you wouldn't believe how may old folks
that are disabled and fighting the ssi system are forced into bankruptcy.

Forum List

Back