Antoher "FUN" Theological question!

Arguing about the meaning of the bible is not the same as telling others what to believe.

Intelligent debate is the hallmark of scholarship. Of course each person thinks he's right, regardless of what he's discussing. But as I said, I've met very few Christians who believe they've cornered the market on salvation.

Actually, most Christians DO think they have the market cornered on salvation. They state you HAVE to accept Yeshua as God (they're not the same individual btw) or you won't get into Heaven.

Pretty much leaves out the Jews, the Buddhists, Hindus, etc.

I think the anti-Christians WANT you to believe that is what most Christians believe. I can assure you that most Christians do not preach other people into hell despite what you've been convinced to believe. Some do yes, just as there are members from all those other groups who blast Christianity as a false faith and dismiss it as a false religion.

Nor is the reading level of the Bible at issue. I am also reasonably convinced that most people have never really studied the Bible--it's origins, the people who contributed to it, their language, culture, beliefs, etc.--and would refuse to do so if given an opportunity lest their firm convictions about what the Bible says and means be challenged.

I believe that God is every bit as much with the hypothetical Islanders in the OP as he is with the most devout Christians. The only difference is that the Christians are aware of it. The Islanders not so much.

Actually, saw it growing up. I was orphaned at 8, and went through a whole bunch of foster families, each was intent on saving my soul, but they told me that the beliefs that I'd learned from the last place were wrong and I now had to believe as they did.

During my 20 years in the Navy, I ran into a lot of them that would immediately ask if I was saved by Jesus when we got into a theological discussion and when I told them no, I'm a Taoist, the standard reply over 80 percent of the time was that I had to accept Christ into my heart or I was going to hell.

Same with the holy rollers that come around the neighborhood who want to invite me to their church.

Actually, most Christians DO think they have the market cornered on salvation. They state you HAVE to accept Yeshua as God (they're not the same individual btw) or you won't get into Heaven.

I think the anti-Christians WANT you to believe that is what most Christians believe. I can assure you that most Christians do not preach other people into hell despite what you've been convinced to believe. Some do yes, just as there are members from all those other groups who blast Christianity as a false faith and dismiss it as a false religion.

Nor is the reading level of the Bible at issue. I am also reasonably convinced that most people have never really studied the Bible--it's origins, the people who contributed to it, their language, culture, beliefs, etc.--and would refuse to do so if given an opportunity lest their firm convictions about what the Bible says and means be challenged.

I believe that God is every bit as much with the hypothetical Islanders in the OP as he is with the most devout Christians. The only difference is that the Christians are aware of it. The Islanders not so much.

Actually, saw it growing up. I was orphaned at 8, and went through a whole bunch of foster families, each was intent on saving my soul, but they told me that the beliefs that I'd learned from the last place were wrong and I now had to believe as they did.

During my 20 years in the Navy, I ran into a lot of them that would immediately ask if I was saved by Jesus when we got into a theological discussion and when I told them no, I'm a Taoist, the standard reply over 80 percent of the time was that I had to accept Christ into my heart or I was going to hell.

Same with the holy rollers that come around the neighborhood who want to invite me to their church.

What you are saying makes perfect sense to me...
How else would a religion to survive? if it would say to you 'Its OK to try other religions out' your religion might loose followers and that is bad.
That is why all the religions derived from Judaism are so obsessed that you don't follow other religions.
It's a 'With US or against us' kind of mentality as far as religion is concerned.

I guess no all religions are like that , for example Buddha said:
"Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Or who said it,
Even if I have said it,
Unless it agrees with your own reason
And your own common sense."

Arguing about the meaning of the bible is not the same as telling others what to believe.

Intelligent debate is the hallmark of scholarship. Of course each person thinks he's right, regardless of what he's discussing. But as I said, I've met very few Christians who believe they've cornered the market on salvation.

I didn't say CHRISTIANS didn't believe they had salvation figured out, I said Christians don't think their particular denomination are the only ones getting to heaven.

And Christians who live in the Word understand that Jews will have a special opportunity to attain salvation.

All the different Christian denominations recognize that salvation comes from recognizing Christ as Savior. If they don't recognize that, then they aren't CHRISTian.

I didn't say CHRISTIANS didn't believe they had salvation figured out, I said Christians don't think their particular denomination are the only ones getting to heaven.

And Christians who live in the Word understand that Jews will have a special opportunity to attain salvation.

All the different Christian denominations recognize that salvation comes from recognizing Christ as Savior. If they don't recognize that, then they aren't CHRISTian.

Really? Wanna explain why this guy was kicked out of his church for being a "heretic"? He used to be a really respected preacher until he came up with his "gospel of inclusion".

After watching a television program about the wretched conditions of people suffering and dying from the genocide in Rwanda, and considering the teachings of his church that non-Christians were going to Hell, Pearson believed he had received an epiphany from God. He stated publicly that he doubted the existence of Hell as a place of eternal torment. He said that hell is created on earth by human depravity and behavior.[6]

In February 2002, Pearson lost a primary election for the office of mayor of Tulsa.[7] By then Pearson had begun to call his doctrine—a variation on universal reconciliation—the Gospel of Inclusion and many in his congregation began to leave.

In March 2004, after hearing Pearson's argument for inclusion, the Joint College of African-American Pentecostal Bishops concluded that such teaching was heresy.[1] Declared a heretic by his peers, Pearson rapidly began to lose his influence.[8] Membership at the Higher Dimensions Family Church fell below 1,000, and the church lost its building to foreclosure in January 2006. The church members began meeting in the nearby Trinity Episcopal Church as the New Dimensions Worship Center

Carlton Pearson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really? Wanna explain why this guy was kicked out of his church for being a "heretic"? He used to be a really respected preacher until he came up with his "gospel of inclusion".

After watching a television program about the wretched conditions of people suffering and dying from the genocide in Rwanda, and considering the teachings of his church that non-Christians were going to Hell, Pearson believed he had received an epiphany from God. He stated publicly that he doubted the existence of Hell as a place of eternal torment. He said that hell is created on earth by human depravity and behavior.[6]

In February 2002, Pearson lost a primary election for the office of mayor of Tulsa.[7] By then Pearson had begun to call his doctrine—a variation on universal reconciliation—the Gospel of Inclusion and many in his congregation began to leave.

In March 2004, after hearing Pearson's argument for inclusion, the Joint College of African-American Pentecostal Bishops concluded that such teaching was heresy.[1] Declared a heretic by his peers, Pearson rapidly began to lose his influence.[8] Membership at the Higher Dimensions Family Church fell below 1,000, and the church lost its building to foreclosure in January 2006. The church members began meeting in the nearby Trinity Episcopal Church as the New Dimensions Worship Center

First, please don't assume that the whole story, or even the accurate story, about anything is featured in Wikipedia. I use Wikipedia for leads to do research. I don't consider Wikipedia to BE research.

Second, even if true as you relate it here, Pearson and his congregation represent an almost immeasurably tiny number of all Christians. Therefore you have an interesting anecdotal story that illustrates the theology of one out of millions of congregations.

If your perception or memory is accurate here, you have the misfortune of being a very unique and unusual individual who saw only one side of Christianity. I have lived for more than six decades, have been in various denominations of the Church that entire time, have worked for a number of different denominations in various capacities over the years, and have taught theology and church history in ecumenical and eclectic groups and I have encountered the types of things you describe but they have been quite rare and not at all mainstream or the norm.

First, please don't assume that the whole story, or even the accurate story, about anything is featured in Wikipedia. I use Wikipedia for leads to do research. I don't consider Wikipedia to BE research.

Second, even if true as you relate it here, Pearson and his congregation represent an almost immeasurably tiny number of all Christians. Therefore you have an interesting anecdotal story that illustrates the theology of one out of millions of congregations.

Okay, how's about a news story from Christian News Today?

Bishop Carlton Pearson Has Left Chicago's Christ Universal Temple of New Thought

CHICAGO, IL. - At a time when organized religion is becoming 'less' organized and nearly 17% of Americans now say they have no religion at all*, Bishop Carlton Pearson, known for his "Gospel of Inclusion", announced that he has left his position as Interim Senior Minister of Chicago's Christ Universal Temple, effective January 3, 2011.

Appointed Interim Minister of the Christ Universal Temple in May of 2009, Bishop Pearson preached to about 2,000 parishioners each Sunday, with the live streaming of his services reaching as far as Hong Kong and Saudi Arabia.

"A new Board of Directors has decided to take the church in a different direction and will replace me," said Pearson. "I believe we were headed in the right direction as a church community," he added. "With new outreach ministries to this local community, a local prime-time television broadcast and a live stream of services on the web, we have become a more inclusive community. I wish the new Board of the Church well and pray they are able to continue the broader ministry of what New Thought religion has become today around the world."

Mentored by Oral Roberts and formerly on the Board of Regents of Oral Roberts University for fifteen years, Bishop Pearson continues to have a worldwide following and is known for the more expansive, all-inclusive New Thought theology.

"From authors like Anne Rice announcing she's no longer a Christian to a Roman Catholic Priest causing scandal by falling in love, how we think about religion is changing. New Thought theology needs to embrace this change. Institutionalized religion continues to cause too much pain and hurt on this Earth," said Pearson. More and more people are looking for a spiritual home without boundaries, where they can worship without judgment or shame."

Once an evangelical megastar with 6,000 people at his weekly Pentecostal Church services in Tulsa, Oklahoma, he was branded a heretic by the Fundamentalist community when, after 35 years of church ministry, he had come to question and reject the Fundamentalist doctrines of an eternal and literal hell or, as he says, "a God with a terrible anger management problem." Instead, Pearson turned to preaching the fundamental goodness in all humanity and that God has a place in heaven for people of all faiths and lifestyles.

Today, Bishop Pearson, author of The Gospel of Inclusion and, his latest book, God is not a Christian (both Simon and Schuster) presents a different interpretation of the Bible and represents a fresh approach and shape of New Thought theology.

Recognized as a voice of reason and moderation in a world of extremes, his ministry is about a common spiritual ground for all of humanity; Jews, Hindus, Muslims, gays, the spiritually unresolved and any other groups which may have been considered "unfit" and unacceptable or have been marginalized.

Bishop Carlton Pearson Has Left Chicago's Christ Universal Temple of New Thought

Okay, how's about a news story from Christian News Today?

CHICAGO, IL. - At a time when organized religion is becoming 'less' organized and nearly 17% of Americans now say they have no religion at all*, Bishop Carlton Pearson, known for his "Gospel of Inclusion", announced that he has left his position as Interim Senior Minister of Chicago's Christ Universal Temple, effective January 3, 2011.

Appointed Interim Minister of the Christ Universal Temple in May of 2009, Bishop Pearson preached to about 2,000 parishioners each Sunday, with the live streaming of his services reaching as far as Hong Kong and Saudi Arabia.

"A new Board of Directors has decided to take the church in a different direction and will replace me," said Pearson. "I believe we were headed in the right direction as a church community," he added. "With new outreach ministries to this local community, a local prime-time television broadcast and a live stream of services on the web, we have become a more inclusive community. I wish the new Board of the Church well and pray they are able to continue the broader ministry of what New Thought religion has become today around the world."

Mentored by Oral Roberts and formerly on the Board of Regents of Oral Roberts University for fifteen years, Bishop Pearson continues to have a worldwide following and is known for the more expansive, all-inclusive New Thought theology.

"From authors like Anne Rice announcing she's no longer a Christian to a Roman Catholic Priest causing scandal by falling in love, how we think about religion is changing. New Thought theology needs to embrace this change. Institutionalized religion continues to cause too much pain and hurt on this Earth," said Pearson. More and more people are looking for a spiritual home without boundaries, where they can worship without judgment or shame."

Once an evangelical megastar with 6,000 people at his weekly Pentecostal Church services in Tulsa, Oklahoma, he was branded a heretic by the Fundamentalist community when, after 35 years of church ministry, he had come to question and reject the Fundamentalist doctrines of an eternal and literal hell or, as he says, "a God with a terrible anger management problem." Instead, Pearson turned to preaching the fundamental goodness in all humanity and that God has a place in heaven for people of all faiths and lifestyles.

Today, Bishop Pearson, author of The Gospel of Inclusion and, his latest book, God is not a Christian (both Simon and Schuster) presents a different interpretation of the Bible and represents a fresh approach and shape of New Thought theology.

Recognized as a voice of reason and moderation in a world of extremes, his ministry is about a common spiritual ground for all of humanity; Jews, Hindus, Muslims, gays, the spiritually unresolved and any other groups which may have been considered "unfit" and unacceptable or have been marginalized.

I don't see how this latest link should change my comments in any way. Most of those among the Pentecostal group are pretty much Bible fundamenalists and believe in a literal hell. That is true. The vast majority of Christians are not part of Pentecostal groups.

Last edited:
Quick question Foxfyre, would YOUR preacher be cool with this gospel of inclusion?

Not 100% positive as my pastor and I don't agree on every point of theology, but I know he wouldn't be telling anybody that he or she was going to hell. Our church pushes a doctrine of grace.

Quick question Foxfyre, would YOUR preacher be cool with this gospel of inclusion?

Not 100% positive as my pastor and I don't agree on every point of theology, but I know he wouldn't be telling anybody that he or she was going to hell. Our church pushes a doctrine of grace.

I can assure you, there's not gonna be any mainstream church that would accept this doctrine.

Otherwise.........the church would lose money because people wouldn't be scared of going to hell.

Really?

So you would say this is false doctrine?

{Matthew 13:47 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was cast into the sea that caught all kinds of fish. 13:48 When it was full, they pulled it ashore, sat down, and put the good fish into containers and threw the bad away. 13:49 It will be this way at the end of the age. Angels will come and separate the evil from the righteous 13:50 and throw them into the fiery furnace, 62 where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.}

I can assure you, there's not gonna be any mainstream church that would accept this doctrine.

Otherwise.........the church would lose money because people wouldn't be scared of going to hell.

Now you're just being ridiculous.

Really?

{Matthew 13:47 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was cast into the sea that caught all kinds of fish. 13:48 When it was full, they pulled it ashore, sat down, and put the good fish into containers and threw the bad away. 13:49 It will be this way at the end of the age. Angels will come and separate the evil from the righteous 13:50 and throw them into the fiery furnace, 62 where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.}

It is an interesting metaphor full of nuance and symbolism. But as with all of the New Testament, it has to be seen as imagery to get the people's attention. But when you take the gospel as a whole--and to have even a fighting chance to understand the message, it MUST be taken as a whole--you have other metaphors and other imagery explaining that all have sinned and NONE are worthy to be saved. And yet Jesus's message is that our sins will be washed away and will no longer exist in God's eyes.

So who do you think the righteous is in that passage? I interpret it as those Jesus came to show the way to eternal life. Who are the evil that are thrown away like bad fish? I dunno. Could be demons. Naughty angels. Anybody. But there is no indication that anybody will be able to EARN a place in Heaven but we will get there by the grace of God.

I love reading threads where different denominations of Christianity start telling each other the "RIGHT WAY" to believe!! Some funny shit. You all think you're right. In REAL life you're probably ALL full of shit.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

And if we're not ????? :)
See, if we are wrong, then no biggie. Dust to dust.
If we are right, uh o, you're toast. :(

Well ,if you are right ,this means there is only one sect of Christians are right, and not all Christians.Plus, God is all forgiving and loves all his children , doesn't he ? So if you are right so for us it's no biggie.

If you are wrong, than you(not you specifically)are wasting a big portion of your one and only life to appease an imaginary friend. Which is unfortunate.

Well, yes, there should only be one sect of Christianity that is right, but you won't find it in a church. There is no church that hasn't evolved away from Christ's church because of dogma differences. Because of that, not only do we have a plethora of denominations, but fractures within the denominations. It is not what Christ had intended, but that doesn't mean you can no longer find him. You just have to pray for discernment so when you do hear false doctrine you'll know it.

God does love all of His children, but not all of His children love Him. He forgives those who ASK for forgiveness. Those who don't, aren't!
The biggie is Heaven is for God's children. And that sin can't enter Heaven. Those that will not enter Heaven are those that, 1. have not asked for forgiveness and turned away from their sin, and 2. those who do not consider God their Father, and refuse to accept his gift of salvation. Free will. For instance, those who consider Satan to be their father, will join Satan for eternity.

The Bible says that in the end times, up will be down and down will be up. That right will be wrong and wrong will be right. Political correctness is forcing that phenomenon on us now. And we and especially our children are going to end up lost. We get conditioned. Sex for all. Abortion is a good thing now. Children are being taught how to be a good gay. Our leader tells us that you can work your way into Heaven.
The results are staggering.
Over 50% of Christians now believe you can work your way into Heaven.
This is all being done by design, working to install a New World Church that specifically removes Christ from the equation. If any religion has an exclusive way into Heaven those people will be considered haters, and their fate is revealed in Rev. ( Beheaded saints cry out for justice).

Last edited:

Third, it is one thing to say, "We respect the right of others to believe as they choose, and believe that there will be people of other faiths than ours in Heaven", and to say, "You can teach beliefs under the auspices of our church that are contrary to the doctrines this church espouses", which is what an accusation of heresy means: he was teaching things in a Baptist Church that were not in line with Baptist doctrines. So what? One of the purposes of having a denomination with a hierarchy is so that no matter which branch of that church you visit anywhere in the world, you can be reasonably certain of what it will be teaching. I don't want to walk into an Assemblies of God church and hear a sermon about Zoroastrianism.

Really?

There's a difference between believing people - in the general sense - will go to Hell, and believing it's acceptable for us to decide which people - in the specific sense - will be going and why.

If all Christians agreed on every point of faith, doctrine, and belief, there would be only one denominations when in fact there are many. And there are divisions within denominations each emphasizing a different point of view. Again, all of these, as well as non Christian religions, have some of the truth and, in my opinion, none have all of the truth.

So how about we get back to the thesis of this thread and consider how to deal with those Islanders and their stone god?

And I am now headed for bed soon, but will leave you with this clip of a very funny Roman Catholic nun teaching a religion class. I especially liked the part where she assured the Methodist student that the father had many rooms in heaven. The Methodist's room would be next to the elevator and near the ice machine, but he/she would definitely get one. :)

Sister Strikes Again!: Late Nite Catechism 2 - YouTube

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back