Antoher "FUN" Theological question!

A very unlikely situation :)...

But yes, I would honor their religious practices as long as those practices weren't against my own morals.

If their religion included the circumcision of women, for example, I'd stick to myself, or try to be a critical friend.

Because Solomon figured that allowing his wives to worship idols, was no big deal, and the consequences of that decision got his people turned into slaves, I would be afraid to turn a blind eye. I'd break the idol, and then tell them not to worry. If the idol has any power, it will piece itself together.
Then I would tell them about their father who loves them. Then I would ask God to send the Holy Spirit to convict them. Then I would go fishing.

If he loved them he wouldnt cause earthquakes, sunamis, and volcanoes to kill them would he...

...Why does he always act as if he's not really there :eusa_whistle:

Actually, I'd take a hint from Daniel and show them that their idol isn't really a deity because I'd use science on them. In the complete Book of Daniel, it shows 2 ways that he did it, which is why he was thrown in the lions den.

After I'd shown them the folly of their ways, I'd get THEM to tear it down, and then start teaching them about Father and who He really is as I understand Him, allowing them to tell me their interpretations of how they understand Him.

But no.............I'd never join in idol worshipping, because if you want to see how living around idol worshippers and allowing them to live in your midst works out, check out what happened to the people of Israel (God's Chosen) when they did that in the book of Judges.

Didn't turn out well.

I'd use science on them
This would prove very tricky and dangerous as religion and science don't get along pretty well.
Look at what happened to Galileo Galilei.

Actually, the way Daniel did it was when shown their first idol that was in a chamber which was tightly locked at night, he sprinkled the floor with fine powder, because the tale was that the offerings left at night disappeared in the morning. The next morning after the powder was sprinkled? It showed a hidden passage and footprints.

Then, there was a second one which was a dragon (and it was a live animal) that was rumored to be immortal and could eat anything. He figured out how to poison it.

That's the kind of science I'd use. And yeah.........you're right........sometimes it can be dangerous to do, but if you can actually show all the people where they're wrong all at once, you can come through okay, they might even think you're magic.

Copernicus and Galileo didn't have a telescope that could be used for everyone to look through, and I don't think the Church had the patience to sit through night after night of observation.

Remember.........that which you know the least about, you fear the most.

OK biker, You tend to have solutions for a concrete idol.

How about an abstract idol. One not made of material but is conceptualized?

I say that in either case, one should not seek to destroy the idol. Eventually, the people will begin to develop new understandings about the world around them and seek new ways to justify what they consider sound moral behavior.

By the way, it seems to me that you would exchange their physical idol for an abstract one. There is little difference between the two to me. (and considering the idol of stone that Daniel proved was not a diety, consider that some believers argue that god talks to them and orders them to do certain acts. If we are to believe these types of arguements, then is it not possible that the idol talk and commands certain people to do act in its name?)

This would prove very tricky and dangerous as religion and science don't get along pretty well.

Actually, the way Daniel did it was when shown their first idol that was in a chamber which was tightly locked at night, he sprinkled the floor with fine powder, because the tale was that the offerings left at night disappeared in the morning. The next morning after the powder was sprinkled? It showed a hidden passage and footprints.

Then, there was a second one which was a dragon (and it was a live animal) that was rumored to be immortal and could eat anything. He figured out how to poison it.

That's the kind of science I'd use. And yeah.........you're right........sometimes it can be dangerous to do, but if you can actually show all the people where they're wrong all at once, you can come through okay, they might even think you're magic.

Copernicus and Galileo didn't have a telescope that could be used for everyone to look through, and I don't think the Church had the patience to sit through night after night of observation.

Remember.........that which you know the least about, you fear the most.

OK biker, You tend to have solutions for a concrete idol.

How about an abstract idol. One not made of material but is conceptualized?

I say that in either case, one should not seek to destroy the idol. Eventually, the people will begin to develop new understandings about the world around them and seek new ways to justify what they consider sound moral behavior.

By the way, it seems to me that you would exchange their physical idol for an abstract one. There is little difference between the two to me. (and considering the idol of stone that Daniel proved was not a diety, consider that some believers argue that god talks to them and orders them to do certain acts. If we are to believe these types of arguements, then is it not possible that the idol talk and commands certain people to do act in its name?)

Possible, but you shouldn't make graven images or accept any other deity than HaShem.

As far as God talking to people? Ever get the feeling that you really shouldn't do something only to find out later that the transport crashed or some other disaster? How about feeling bad when you do something bad to others?

It's really not hard to listen, just look for what your conscience tells you.

A very unlikely situation :)...

But yes, I would honor their religious practices as long as those practices weren't against my own morals.

If their religion included the circumcision of women, for example, I'd stick to myself, or try to be a critical friend.

Then pray for the strength and courage to stand by your convictions. After they circumcised the woman, what if it was protocol to skin her alive? Is there any point to having morals if you are too sensitive to put them to practice?
Read about Elijah. He could have just kept his mouth shut.
Never let a good moral go to waste.

I don't really care what anyone else believes, but I might start to worry if they practice human sacrifice. I might be getting invited to dinner AS dinner. If I have to worship with them to get along and survive, I can fake it well enough.

Because Solomon figured that allowing his wives to worship idols, was no big deal, and the consequences of that decision got his people turned into slaves, I would be afraid to turn a blind eye. I'd break the idol, and then tell them not to worry. If the idol has any power, it will piece itself together.
Then I would tell them about their father who loves them. Then I would ask God to send the Holy Spirit to convict them. Then I would go fishing.

Solomon actually had some responsibility for what his wives did, since they were HIS wives. I'm not responsible for the people on the island in that sense, so it's not my place to go around breaking things and telling them what they should and shouldn't do (not to mention it would just get me killed, which wouldn't help anyone).

Missionaries who go to minister to people in undeveloped countries don't go barging in and attacking the religions currently in place. I think I'd take a leaf from their book: be courteous of the people and respectful of their beliefs, and do what I could to help them and get them to WANT to know more about what I believe.

If you were stranded on a deserted island filled with people that worshipped an idol, would you break the idol?? Would you tell the people to stop worshipping it? Would you stand aloft from the people? Or would you join them in their hunting, rituals and fun??

I would join in and not make a big scene about their stone gods. Even though I would not believe in such a thing, I would not mind being social with the natives. Of course, I would question them why they believe in a rock and express my opinion on the matter(although I hwould have to be careful in terms of stating my opinion, now won't I?).

How about you guys?

(That was suppose to be "another" in the title)

Actually, I'd take a hint from Daniel and show them that their idol isn't really a deity because I'd use science on them. In the complete Book of Daniel, it shows 2 ways that he did it, which is why he was thrown in the lions den.

After I'd shown them the folly of their ways, I'd get THEM to tear it down, and then start teaching them about Father and who He really is as I understand Him, allowing them to tell me their interpretations of how they understand Him.

But no.............I'd never join in idol worshipping, because if you want to see how living around idol worshippers and allowing them to live in your midst works out, check out what happened to the people of Israel (God's Chosen) when they did that in the book of Judges.

Didn't turn out well.

I'd use science on them

You mean, being told to shut his head on theological issues? Gosh, that poor guy. :eusa_hand:

Didn't turn out well.

I'd use science on them

You mean, being told to shut his head on theological issues? Gosh, that poor guy. :eusa_hand:

Poor guy indeed , as the church (or any religious establishment) does not like people who think for themselves , especially when those thoughts are not colliding with their view of the world.

Poor guy indeed , as the church (or any religious establishment) does not like people who think for themselves , especially when those thoughts are not colliding with their view of the world.

Thanks for demonstrating that you only know the urban-legend version of history.

Thanks for demonstrating that you only know the urban-legend version of history.

Galileo's championing of heliocentrism was controversial within his lifetime, when most subscribed to either geocentrism or the Tychonic system.[9] He met with opposition from astronomers, who doubted heliocentrism due to the absence of an observed stellar parallax.[9] The matter was investigated by the Roman Inquisition in 1615, and they concluded that it could only be supported as a possibility, not as an established fact.[9][10] Galileo later defended his views in Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, which appeared to attack Pope Urban VIII and thus alienated him and the Jesuits, who had both supported Galileo up until this point.[9] He was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.[
Galileo Galilei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you were stranded on a deserted island filled with people that worshipped an idol, would you break the idol?? Would you tell the people to stop worshipping it? Would you stand aloft from the people? Or would you join them in their hunting, rituals and fun??

I would join in and not make a big scene about their stone gods. Even though I would not believe in such a thing, I would not mind being social with the natives. Of course, I would question them why they believe in a rock and express my opinion on the matter(although I hwould have to be careful in terms of stating my opinion, now won't I?).

How about you guys?

While I would consider it to be blasphemous, I have no right to enforce my will upon others so If we can understand each other I would tell them about my beliefs and I would ask them about theirs I would ask them only once if they would accept mine and if they refused I would no longer mention it but try to get along with them any way.

How about you guys?

I would join in. At that point, what would you have to lose? It may make the time pass quicker. And the fear of death, of potentially facing your own mortality, and you will find yourself doing things that you ordinarily wouldn't do.

Like this video, which happened to be filmed at the same time of the 96 Mount Everest disaster. At about 00:20, notice how many people are participating in a Buddhist ceremony. I doubt that many of them were regular Buddhists. But again, fear, uncertainty, and facing your mortality, and you will reach out to God...any god, if you feel that He is good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS_Doe-4fkM]Everest (7/12) Movie CLIP - Going for It (1998) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Galileo's championing of heliocentrism was controversial within his lifetime, when most subscribed to either geocentrism or the Tychonic system.[9] He met with opposition from astronomers, who doubted heliocentrism due to the absence of an observed stellar parallax.[9] The matter was investigated by the Roman Inquisition in 1615, and they concluded that it could only be supported as a possibility, not as an established fact.[9][10] Galileo later defended his views in Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, which appeared to attack Pope Urban VIII and thus alienated him and the Jesuits, who had both supported Galileo up until this point.[9] He was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.[
Galileo Galilei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It wasn't really necessary to offer further proof of what I said.

I'd kill as many as possible in Geeziss' name like they did the Amerindians.

You mean you'd do nothing, then lie about it later, like you do about the "Amerindians."

Standard Disclaimer: Chompskyites prove that stupidity and dishonesty are revered as the pinnacle of intellect in American leftist academia.

I'd kill as many as possible in Geeziss' name like they did the Amerindians.

You mean you'd do nothing, then lie about it later, like you do about the "Amerindians."

Standard Disclaimer: Chompskyites prove that stupidity and dishonesty are revered as the pinnacle of intellect in American leftist academia.

Not trying to nitpick, but even if he doesn't share your principles at least Chomsky has principles.

Obamabots "principles" are whatever Obama tells them they should be for the day, and it could be 180 degrees different the next day. Chomsky bashes Obama, especially his warmongering policy, all the time.

Hey, don't read and run away.

I seriously want to know what you would do?

Would you try to tell the people not to worship the stone idol? Would you try and teach them your religion, or try to convince them that there is no god? I know some one out there would think that idol worshipping is wrong and something should be done about it. All to save the souls of these people, right?

Well I suppose it would depend on the circumstances. I mean if a tenant of their religion is to subject non-believers to a cruel, horrendous death I might be somewhat hesitant to suggest that their religion is a bunch of horseshit. :lol: However, assuming there was no threat of bodily harm for doing so, I might engage them in a discussion about their beliefs and mine, but no I would not tell them what to believe and what not to believe.

Forum List

Back