Antoher "FUN" Theological question!

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
If you were stranded on a deserted island filled with people that worshipped an idol, would you break the idol?? Would you tell the people to stop worshipping it? Would you stand aloft from the people? Or would you join them in their hunting, rituals and fun??

I would join in and not make a big scene about their stone gods. Even though I would not believe in such a thing, I would not mind being social with the natives. Of course, I would question them why they believe in a rock and express my opinion on the matter(although I hwould have to be careful in terms of stating my opinion, now won't I?).

How about you guys?

(That was suppose to be "another" in the title)

Last edited:
Hey, don't read and run away.

I seriously want to know what you would do?

Would you try to tell the people not to worship the stone idol? Would you try and teach them your religion, or try to convince them that there is no god? I know some one out there would think that idol worshipping is wrong and something should be done about it. All to save the souls of these people, right?

How can a deserted island also be filled with people?

Anyway, that aside, I'd join in the rituals as long as they didn't involve sacrifice of foreigners.

Because Solomon figured that allowing his wives to worship idols, was no big deal, and the consequences of that decision got his people turned into slaves, I would be afraid to turn a blind eye. I'd break the idol, and then tell them not to worry. If the idol has any power, it will piece itself together.
Then I would tell them about their father who loves them. Then I would ask God to send the Holy Spirit to convict them. Then I would go fishing.

If you were stranded on a deserted island filled with people that worshipped an idol, would you break the idol?? Would you tell the people to stop worshipping it? Would you stand aloft from the people? Or would you join them in their hunting, rituals and fun??

I would join in and not make a big scene about their stone gods. Even though I would not believe in such a thing, I would not mind being social with the natives. Of course, I would question them why they believe in a rock and express my opinion on the matter(although I hwould have to be careful in terms of stating my opinion, now won't I?).

How about you guys?

It's not a complex question at all.
There is a saying :'When in Rome do as the Romans do'.
Religious people are dangerous as it is, the only option for survival is to do what they do to the letter.

How about you guys?

I wouldn't tell them what to do, i wouldn't break their stone idol. I would tell them what i believe, and that i believe what they're doing is wrong, and tell them why. I may join in the hunting (because i would have to eat too), but i wouldn't join their rituals or anything else that is wrong in my eyes. You can be friends with people that don't believe the same way you do....you just decide to agree to not agree.

I would ask if they had any rum, and hang out the beach. I need a vacation, and they can do whatever they want.

How about you guys?

Religious people are dangerous as it is, the only option for survival is to do what they do to the letter.

In that case, you need to marry me and accompany me to Tiffanys with your wallet, so sayeth the Lord......

How about you guys?

Would i join in... sure. What other people believe makes no difference to me. I could care less.

I care if they are good people doing good things.

I would have a problem though if "worshiping"... ie praying and the like were involved. I would laugh to hard.

Because Solomon figured that allowing his wives to worship idols, was no big deal, and the consequences of that decision got his people turned into slaves, I would be afraid to turn a blind eye. I'd break the idol, and then tell them not to worry. If the idol has any power, it will piece itself together.
Then I would tell them about their father who loves them. Then I would ask God to send the Holy Spirit to convict them. Then I would go fishing.

Aren't you afreaid that the natives will become angry, and sacrafice you to their shark deity or Volcanoe God? They may not believe your arguement that the idol will piece itself together. Worst yet,they may claim that their idol can only be reconstructed by the sacrifice of a wayward soul. Your soul, to be specific!

That is my fear in regards to breaking idols. Why would they listen to an outsiderlike me when I try to explain to them "Tiki-Tiki-TaTa is all part of your imagination."?

Last edited:

How about you guys?

Or, if one is an iconoclast, when in Rome do as the Romanians do.

I'll let you know if this ever happens! Assuming I ever chose to be rescued! Until then...........:lmao:

Last edited:
That is my fear in regards to breaking idols. Why would they listen to an outsiderlike me when I try to explain to them "Tiki-Tiki-TaTa is all part of your imagination."?

Good point, of course. I'm sure Irish Ram would not take kindly to anyone smashing up HIS idol. (Or hers -- I guess I'm just assuming because of the user name. Sorry if that was in error.)

How about you guys?

Actually, I'd take a hint from Daniel and show them that their idol isn't really a deity because I'd use science on them. In the complete Book of Daniel, it shows 2 ways that he did it, which is why he was thrown in the lions den.

After I'd shown them the folly of their ways, I'd get THEM to tear it down, and then start teaching them about Father and who He really is as I understand Him, allowing them to tell me their interpretations of how they understand Him.

But no.............I'd never join in idol worshipping, because if you want to see how living around idol worshippers and allowing them to live in your midst works out, check out what happened to the people of Israel (God's Chosen) when they did that in the book of Judges.

Didn't turn out well.

How about you guys?

Actually, I'd take a hint from Daniel and show them that their idol isn't really a deity because I'd use science on them. In the complete Book of Daniel, it shows 2 ways that he did it, which is why he was thrown in the lions den.

After I'd shown them the folly of their ways, I'd get THEM to tear it down, and then start teaching them about Father and who He really is as I understand Him, allowing them to tell me their interpretations of how they understand Him.

But no.............I'd never join in idol worshipping, because if you want to see how living around idol worshippers and allowing them to live in your midst works out, check out what happened to the people of Israel (God's Chosen) when they did that in the book of Judges.

Didn't turn out well.

I'd use science on them
This would prove very tricky and dangerous as religion and science don't get along pretty well.
Look at what happened to Galileo Galilei.

How about you guys?

Didn't turn out well.

I'd use science on them
This would prove very tricky and dangerous as religion and science don't get along pretty well.

Actually, the way Daniel did it was when shown their first idol that was in a chamber which was tightly locked at night, he sprinkled the floor with fine powder, because the tale was that the offerings left at night disappeared in the morning. The next morning after the powder was sprinkled? It showed a hidden passage and footprints.

Then, there was a second one which was a dragon (and it was a live animal) that was rumored to be immortal and could eat anything. He figured out how to poison it.

That's the kind of science I'd use. And yeah.........you're right........sometimes it can be dangerous to do, but if you can actually show all the people where they're wrong all at once, you can come through okay, they might even think you're magic.

Copernicus and Galileo didn't have a telescope that could be used for everyone to look through, and I don't think the Church had the patience to sit through night after night of observation.

Remember.........that which you know the least about, you fear the most.

In reality, no religious teaching has ever involved believing that statues, etc. actually were deities. They were always depictions of the deities, often with a spiritual/magical connection to them, but at no time were the two identified completely. So these guys on the hypothetical island worship not the idols, but a so-far-unidentified deity depicted by and perhaps magically linked to the idols.

Didn't turn out well.

I'd use science on them

Actually, the way Daniel did it was when shown their first idol that was in a chamber which was tightly locked at night, he sprinkled the floor with fine powder, because the tale was that the offerings left at night disappeared in the morning. The next morning after the powder was sprinkled? It showed a hidden passage and footprints.

Then, there was a second one which was a dragon (and it was a live animal) that was rumored to be immortal and could eat anything. He figured out how to poison it.

That's the kind of science I'd use. And yeah.........you're right........sometimes it can be dangerous to do, but if you can actually show all the people where they're wrong all at once, you can come through okay, they might even think you're magic.

Copernicus and Galileo didn't have a telescope that could be used for everyone to look through, and I don't think the Church had the patience to sit through night after night of observation.

Remember.........that which you know the least about, you fear the most.

if you can actually show all the people where they're wrong all at once, you can come through okay, they might even think you're magic.

I doubt it, religious people rarely 'buy' logical and scientific arguments.
What's worse is that if you do prove something that conflict with their religious views, or show them something they can't understand they brand you a heretic if you are lucky and if you are not burn you at the stake.

Forum List

Back