Antiamericanism on the right.

You realize the Olympics tend to cause nothing but problems for the host city, correct? Why would we want that for any American city?

Yes, I can see how all that money from tourists and atheletes would be a serious problem for Chicago. I don't know how they'd ever recover.

Former Host City Has Olympics Hangover - ABC News
Caught under a mountain of Olympic debt - The Boston Globe

Will 2016 Olympics really be a prize for the host city? | csmonitor.com

It's honestly shocking to me to see conservatives across the world applauding at the city of Chicago losing it's bid for the Olympics in 2016. Apparently seeing an opportunity for America's cultural and economic gain pass America by is a cause for celebration, simply because it represents Obama's efforts toward that have failed. If Obama was trying to climb up a tree to save a kitten dangling over the highway, and the kitten let go and fell to it's death before he could get to it, I imagine that the kittens demise would be greeted with fanfare by the conservative community, with pundits slapping each other on the back and saying "I guess that shows him!"

I'm starting to wonder whose fucking side you guys are on. It doesn't seem to be ours.

How do you know they're all conservatives? I'm pleased Chicago lost. But it has nothing to do with Obama.

So what would you call the desire for America to fail just so that it will make Obama look bad?
America is dumped into the 'failure' pool whenever we don't get an Olympics? Huh. I learn something new every day.

"To fail" is a verb. We failed to get into the Olympics. I didn't say that makes America a failure, only that it did, in fact, fail to do something.

We did not succeed, hence, we failed.

What shocks me is that some people are so giddy because of this.
Is it actually a success for America to get an Olympics? I wasn't aware that it was a success for America.

But keep up that hyperbole, someone's bound to bite. ;)

Now patriotism = pimping for some sporting event of dubious positive impact?

Only if you want to pay higher taxes.

joe-biden.jpg

You realize the Olympics tend to cause nothing but problems for the host city, correct? Why would we want that for any American city?

Not nothing but problems. It brings a lot of cachet and tourism revenue. But I agree there are huge problems to overcome as well.

Yes, I can see how all that money from tourists and atheletes would be a serious problem for Chicago. I don't know how they'd ever recover.

Consider the corruption and crime in Chicago for a moment, those two factors alone would of made it difficult for the Olympics to come there. Never mind that many things would have to be built and probably never used again. This would result in wasteful spending. Besides, tourists aren't going to come in droves like they use to. Especially with the internet and television being what it is today.

I feel bad for Rio because this is going to make things worse for them and the Olympics is going to have a host of problems.

Corruption has never stopped the IOC, so long as it's well hidden corruption.

Don't forget, the last Olympics were in Beijing.

Consider the corruption and crime in Chicago for a moment, those two factors alone would of made it difficult for the Olympics to come there. Never mind that many things would have to be built and probably never used again. This would result in wasteful spending. Besides, tourists aren't going to come in droves like they use to. Especially with the internet and television being what it is today.

I feel bad for Rio because this is going to make things worse for them and the Olympics is going to have a host of problems.

I've lived in Chicago for more than thirty years since I got out of the military. Sure, there are some places that are not so nice, but it's the same in every big city. Chicago is a beautiful city.

LA made a quarter billion back in 1984. Cites can handle the Olympics because they have a lot of stadiums and public transportation. Remember, LA used pools at the Universities and simply cleaned up the sports facilities.

There real reason Republicans are against America is because they hate Obama. He isn't the white color. They are ashamed that their political party tried to ruin this country during the last eight years tearing down the economy, the justice department, the department of defense and education. Everything they touched turned to sh!t. No way around that. They want the president to fail and many want to secede from the union. They want to teach mysticism in public schools. They are a minority that is dying out much too slowly. Which will last longer? Republican fanatics or the United States of America?

Sigh. Pity, because the first 2 paragraphs were good.

I guess it is anti American to not want to see any further fleecing of the tax payers to pad the pocket of Obamas cronies

Corruption has never stopped the IOC, so long as it's well hidden corruption.

Don't forget, the last Olympics were in Beijing.

That's quite true, but Chicago is beyond the point of hidden corruption. So they'll just go with the hidden corruption in Rio.

Chicago lost the battle to get the Olympics in the first round of voting. That tells me a couple of things. It shows me that Chicago was never being heavily considered by the Olympic Committee in the first place and the Olympic Committee wasn't all that impressed with Obama's appearance there to try to land the Olympics for the City of Chicago. I don't think it was very Presidential for him to have even gone to make such a "high level" attempt to land the Olympics. I think it was pretty pathetic on his part. Nobody seemed too impressed that "The Prez" came to make the plea for the Olympics. I think it was more a "self-serving" attempt on his part to make himself look good rather than for actual good for the country. He's sickening. Actually I think it was kind of funny. He makes this big trip to play "The Presidential Card" to land the Olympics - and even sends his wife along ahead of him to make an even bigger splash and nobody on the Olympic Committee really gave a shit about him or the pathetic speech he made to grab the Olympics. Guess somebody on his staff should have told him what a dope he was going to look like if he failed.

Last edited:
Chicago lost the battle to get the Olympics in the first round of voting. That tells me a couple of things. It shows me that Chicago was never being heavily considered by the Olympic Committee in the first place and the Olympic Committee wasn't all that impressed with Obama's appearance there to try to land the Olympics for the City of Chicago. I don't think it was very Presidential for him to have even gone to make such a "high level" attempt to land the Olympics. I think it was pretty pathetic on his part. Nobody seemed to impressed that "The Prez" came to make the plea for the Olympics. I think it was more a "self-serving" attempt on his part rather than for actual good for the country. He's sickening.

I have no problem with him going. The same thing helped London win 2012. But would he have gone if he knew Chicago had no chance? Of course not. That being the case, why didn't he know Chicago had no chance? The IOC isn't Mossad. It can't be that tough to figure out the broad sweep of voting intentions of IOC delegates. Most of them are up for sale anyway.

I've lived in Chicago for more than thirty years since I got out of the military. Sure, there are some places that are not so nice, but it's the same in every big city. Chicago is a beautiful city.

LA made a quarter billion back in 1984. Cites can handle the Olympics because they have a lot of stadiums and public transportation. Remember, LA used pools at the Universities and simply cleaned up the sports facilities.

There real reason Republicans are against America is because they hate Obama. He isn't the white color. They are ashamed that their political party tried to ruin this country during the last eight years tearing down the economy, the justice department, the department of defense and education. Everything they touched turned to sh!t. No way around that. They want the president to fail and many want to secede from the union. They want to teach mysticism in public schools. They are a minority that is dying out much too slowly. Which will last longer? Republican fanatics or the United States of America?

:clap2:

Republicans Revel in Obama's Olympic Bid Failure

Conservatives Revel In Obama's Olympic Bid Failure

Chicago's failed bid to host the 2016 Olympics in the first round of voting caps a week of conservative attacks against President Obama for personally stumping on his home city's behalf.
How the International Olympic Committee's rejection of the Windy City's bid affects the politics surrounding Obama's trip to Copenhagen remains to be seen. But in the immediate aftermath, it has provided ample fodder for Republicans to further accuse the president of having wasted his time, skirted his responsibilities, and acted as a crony for some of his big-moneyed donors.
Upon being informed of the news, a gathering of conservatives at the Americans For Prosperity -- one of the main organizing groups behind the tea party protests -- erupted in applause. They cheered once more after they were told that Chicago had been eliminated during the first round of voting. The moment was captured on video (below) and reported by Hotline On Call:

Video is at the link
Read more at: Conservatives Revel In Obama's Olympic Bid Failure

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX_lEY9w8wY&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Bill Bennett: For Once, Obama Is Going To Have To Praise America[/ame]

Bill Bennet criticizing fat people in Chicago, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

As where the Olympics will be has little interest to me, I'll not have remorse nor glee for this.

But, I will be pleased that this sort of silliness is finished so that we can get back to much, much more important issues - war, economy, fixing the disaster of the bill, etc. Call me superficial, but no, the Olympics is just not that import in perspective. And perhaps some are happy about that so that we can get back to real issues.

Forum List

Back