Anti Virus Software!

What is the best that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks!

Avg works well and is free, for those running Windows.

No, it doesn't. It mostly find tracking cookies, which firefox can delete automatically at close. Avira's much more reliable for real threats.

I use Avira and it's free

+1 for Avira. I use it with Comodo and get great coverage. Make sure to install the rootkit detectors as well and enable heuristics
Rob's an idiot...

Thanks!

No, it doesn't. It mostly find tracking cookies, which firefox can delete automatically at close. Avira's much more reliable for real threats.

+1 for Avira. I use it with Comodo and get great coverage. Make sure to install the rootkit detectors as well and enable heuristics
Rob's an idiot...
yep, got it.

Never had any problems at home or work using AVG. Heard good things about Avira too. Guess it depends on taste - and from what I've heard, Avira takes up less memory than AVG for those with older or lower-end machines.
Right now I'm on the free Norton subscription that came with the PC, and it sucks. Haven't had the time to dump it and install something else though.

Thanks!

Rob's an idiot...

It works well. It doesn't catch everything. No anti-virus program does. Given the fact that the OP was looking for very affordable to free, it fits the bill.

Nothing wrong with her test driving it, to see if she likes it.

I used to use AVG (my work uses it), but I like OneCare from Windows. Yeah, I pay for it but it does a lot for dummies like me, not just antivirus/security.

Avast seems to work well for me. Switched after picking up a couple of trojans while using AVG. Haven't tried Avira, I'll check it out, don't like having to register Avast every year, Also been working on making the switch to Linux (Ubuntu) from Windows, much more stable and safer platform not to mention, free.

Forum List

Back