Anti-Smoking Bill To Be Signed Today

It's stupid, ignorant, and will destroy the US ... just watch. You thought losing the auto industry hurt us, the US was built on tobacco ... so, anyone learn Mandarin yet?

As Editec said, some of us care about 'the children', some don't. The taxes off tobacco are going to fund SCIP-providing health insurance for the children. If we quit, guess we join those that also don't care about the children. ;)

That's bullshit, which I already said. The parents of the little children being provided for are the ones most likely to be smokers - less educated, lower income. Ain't it nice that they're going to be paying for their own kids insurance when they said they couldn't afford their kids insurance? <snicker>

As Editec said, some of us care about 'the children', some don't. The taxes off tobacco are going to fund SCIP-providing health insurance for the children. If we quit, guess we join those that also don't care about the children. ;)

That's bullshit, which I already said. The parents of the little children being provided for are the ones most likely to be smokers - less educated, lower income. Ain't it nice that they're going to be paying for their own kids insurance when they said they couldn't afford their kids insurance? <snicker>

Lower income ... um ... at the prices they are now, it's not low income who are able to afford it. Almost every ex-smoker I know in real life are low income (poverty level) who quite only because they couldn't afford it.

Oh come one, Mr Obama promised that nobody that makes less than $250k would see their taxes raised, therefor, the tobacco taxes only affect the wealthy. <sarcasm>

Lower income ... um ... at the prices they are now, it's not low income who are able to afford it. Almost every ex-smoker I know in real life are low income (poverty level) who quite only because they couldn't afford it.

In real life:

Smoking Statistics in the United States
Smoking statistics in the United States indicate that 26 million men (25.7%) and about 23 million women (21%) smoke cigarettes. Smoking statistics for those people 18 years of age and older in the U.S. suggest these smoker estimates for the following ethnic groups:

Caucasians - 26% of all Caucasian men smoke while 22% of all Caucasian women smoke
Black or African Americans - 29% of all Black men smoke while 21% of Black women smoke
Hispanics - 24% of all Hispanic men smoke while 12% of all Hispanic women smoke
Asian and Pacific Islanders - 24% of all Asians smoke while 7% of all Asian women smoke
American Indians and Alaska Natives - 41% of all American Indians/Alaska native men smoke while the same percentage of women - 41% - smoke, as well

The American Heart Association reports additional smoking statistics that indicate that the lesser educated groups of America are more prone to higher percentages of smokers. For example, those with the least amount of education – those educated between 9-11 years – show that 35% of its masses smoke while the most educated group – those educated 16 or more years – show that just under 12% of its masses smoke cigarettes.

Outside of age demographics, there lies the class structure: smoking statistics indicate that 33% of all those living below the poverty level smoke cigarettes.

Ten years ago, in a study performed by The National Household Survey on Drug Abuse for the years ranging from 1988 to 1996, smoking statistics showed that first time use increased 30% for those aged 12-17 years and first daily use increased 50%. In addition, more than 6,000 people under the age of 18 years smoke a cigarette each day and 2,000 people in that age group are daily smokers.

Smoking Statistics - Study of Demographics Prone to Smoking

Oh come one, Mr Obama promised that nobody that makes less than $250k would see their taxes raised, therefor, the tobacco taxes only affect the wealthy. <sarcasm>

Pesky little details like little words he forgot to include, such as "income"?

In real life:

Smoking Statistics in the United States
Smoking statistics in the United States indicate that 26 million men (25.7%) and about 23 million women (21%) smoke cigarettes. Smoking statistics for those people 18 years of age and older in the U.S. suggest these smoker estimates for the following ethnic groups:

Caucasians - 26% of all Caucasian men smoke while 22% of all Caucasian women smoke
Black or African Americans - 29% of all Black men smoke while 21% of Black women smoke
Hispanics - 24% of all Hispanic men smoke while 12% of all Hispanic women smoke
Asian and Pacific Islanders - 24% of all Asians smoke while 7% of all Asian women smoke
American Indians and Alaska Natives - 41% of all American Indians/Alaska native men smoke while the same percentage of women - 41% - smoke, as well

The American Heart Association reports additional smoking statistics that indicate that the lesser educated groups of America are more prone to higher percentages of smokers. For example, those with the least amount of education – those educated between 9-11 years – show that 35% of its masses smoke while the most educated group – those educated 16 or more years – show that just under 12% of its masses smoke cigarettes.

Outside of age demographics, there lies the class structure: smoking statistics indicate that 33% of all those living below the poverty level smoke cigarettes.

Ten years ago, in a study performed by The National Household Survey on Drug Abuse for the years ranging from 1988 to 1996, smoking statistics showed that first time use increased 30% for those aged 12-17 years and first daily use increased 50%. In addition, more than 6,000 people under the age of 18 years smoke a cigarette each day and 2,000 people in that age group are daily smokers.

Smoking Statistics - Study of Demographics Prone to Smoking

Statistics are funny ... they are completely subjective ... kinda like how tobacco is suppose to kill off millions a year ... :eusa_whistle:

And sadly, the non smokers will applaud and say what a wonderful thing this is. There are way too many people too stupid to read the writing on the wall these days.

kinda like how tobacco is suppose to kill off millions a year ... :eusa_whistle:

Dunno if tobacco itself causes it, but the chemicals attached to ciggies certainly cause diseases that kill people.

There are all kinds of unhealthy behaviors people do that cause disease or death to themselves. That doesn't give the government the right to stop them, or tax them for it.

kinda like how tobacco is suppose to kill off millions a year ... :eusa_whistle:

Dunno if tobacco itself causes it, but the chemicals attached to ciggies certainly cause diseases that kill people.

There are all kinds of unhealthy behaviors people do that cause disease or death to themselves. That doesn't give the government the right to stop them, or tax them for it.

That, and the simple fact that if the stat was at all true, there would be no more smokers left by now.

True, but smoking is sooo bad for you. That aside, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with smoking (I did so myself for 17 years before giving up 11 years ago - best thing I ever did for my health and wallet) if it only affected those who smoked. I get irked when I see somebody smoking in a car with a kid, or in a house full of kids. My mother did that when we grew up. Very selfish....stinks out the house, your clothes, hair, everything.

True, but smoking is sooo bad for you. That aside, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with smoking (I did so myself for 17 years before giving up 11 years ago - best thing I ever did for my health and wallet) if it only affected those who smoked. I get irked when I see somebody smoking in a car with a kid, or in a house full of kids. My mother did that when we grew up. Very selfish....stinks out the house, your clothes, hair, everything.

i've noticed that "mother issue" thing about you, grump ! :lol:

Hmm ... yeah ... mmmkay ... no.

Sorry but there are common "acceptable" behaviors that are far worse, but no one ever mentions those. Smoking is only on the offensive now because some moron decided that over eating was getting too much attention, and the fat ass didn't want people to notice it so he twisted stats and changed the focus. No more.

And sadly, the non smokers will applaud and say what a wonderful thing this is. There are way too many people too stupid to read the writing on the wall these days.

Not this non smoker. Hubby smokes, has for 30 years or so. He smokes about 1/2 pack a day. He won't quit, he doesn't want to quit. Now that the nicotine levels will be lower (yeah, like that's going to make people quit) he'll go from 3-4 packs/wk to 7 packs/wk. I don't like the fact that he smokes (only in the garage and his car) but I HATE the fact that Barry has signed this legislation. The government needs to butt the fuck out of people's lives.

Last edited:
Hmm ... yeah ... mmmkay ... no.

Sorry but there are common "acceptable" behaviors that are far worse, but no one ever mentions those. Smoking is only on the offensive now because some moron decided that over eating was getting too much attention, and the fat ass didn't want people to notice it so he twisted stats and changed the focus. No more.

There are worse that affect people outside of yourself? Such as? Talking directly here, not peripherally....

Not this non smoker. Hubby smokes, has for 30 years or so. He smokes about 1/2 pack a day. He won't quit, he doesn't want to quit. Now that the nicotine levels will be lower (yeah, like that's going to make people quit) he'll go from 3-4 packs/wk to 7 packs/wk. I don't like the fact that he smokes (only in the garage and his car) but I HATE the fact that Barry has signed this legislation. The government needs to butt the fuck out of people's lives.

That's the thing they don't realize, the anti-smoking morons think this is all about our health ... it's not, it's about the government going broke and looking for someone they can rob from to make up for their own fuck ups. Smokers are easy targets since so many people are against them.

Forum List

Back