Anti-Smoking Bill To Be Signed Today

G.G

Mar 13, 2009
Obama is scheduled to sign the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act during an event Monday in the Rose Garden. The law allows the FDA to reduce nicotine in tobacco products, ban candy flavorings and block labels such "low tar" and "light." Tobacco companies also will be required to cover their cartons with large graphic warnings.

As president, George W. Bush opposed the legislation and threatened a veto after it passed the House last year. The Obama administration, by contrast, issued a statement declaring strong support for the measure.

Obama to sign anti-smoking bill in Rose Garden - Yahoo! News

You know I'm getting a bit sick of this. A few months ago government jacked up the price per pack with a huge tax increase and now with governments control over the tobacco industry they are lowering the nicotine levels. So we will now be paying more money for less product. WTF why don't they just make smoking illegal all together and be done with it? Is it because they make to much money off the tobacco tax? All this government intrusion into our daily adult decisions, totally sucks balls.

Obama is scheduled to sign the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act during an event Monday in the Rose Garden. The law allows the FDA to reduce nicotine in tobacco products, ban candy flavorings and block labels such "low tar" and "light." Tobacco companies also will be required to cover their cartons with large graphic warnings.

As president, George W. Bush opposed the legislation and threatened a veto after it passed the House last year. The Obama administration, by contrast, issued a statement declaring strong support for the measure.

You know I'm getting a bit sick of this. A few months ago government jacked up the price per pack with a huge tax increase and now with governments control over the tobacco industry they are lowering the nicotine levels. So we will now be paying more money for less product. WTF why don't they just make smoking illegal all together and be done with it? Is it because they make to much money off the tobacco tax? All this government intrusion into our daily adult decisions, totally sucks balls.

I'm sure it's for the betterment of everyone and we just don't understand the brilliance of it. :lol:

As Editec said, some of us care about 'the children', some don't. The taxes off tobacco are going to fund SCIP-providing health insurance for the children. If we quit, guess we join those that also don't care about the children. ;)

o cry me a mother fucking river....he has done zip about legalizing or decrimializing pot....here you have a class of people who would be more than happy to pay taxes....just to be legal...but nooooooooooooooo

hell tax the growers....just dont let the government grow it....they can actually fuck up growing pot..amazing....growers would be more than happy to pay a tax , to be growing a legal crop for profit....

hell you pay 100's for a few seeds when you import them (not that i would be involved in anything that illegal) who gives a shit about a 50 buck tax on that....or on the lb or oz or whatever....

you got people crying out to be taxed and yet we are ignored and mocked....

Ain't that the truth. It's for the good of our health and it's for the children are the 2 most popular phrases they like to use to get you to drink the kook aid and go along with what they propose. Next up to help fund the S-Chip program is the soda tax and other sugary drinks that are bad for you. The whole thing is so absurd that as adults we are being taxed out of choosing the foods and beverages we like to consume.

bring us home obama...show us hope and change.....we are willing to pay for little kids to be taken care of...hell obama we will support entire hospitals....just bring us home....

i will make ed look cheap

o cry me a mother fucking river....he has done zip about legalizing or decrimializing pot....here you have a class of people who would be more than happy to pay taxes....just to be legal...but nooooooooooooooo

hell tax the growers....just dont let the government grow it....they can actually fuck up growing pot..amazing....growers would be more than happy to pay a tax , to be growing a legal crop for profit....

hell you pay 100's for a few seeds when you import them (not that i would be involved in anything that illegal) who gives a shit about a 50 buck tax on that....or on the lb or oz or whatever....

They call it ditch weed here.

Would that make Bones a ditch witch ? :lol:

hell we will could pay for the entire health care for months...just bring us home...you lying mother fucker...dont ever tell stoners you are gonna make it legal or at least ignore it and then do what you did.....you are nothing but a fucking judas goat.....

and you might be surprised how many stoners do make it to the polls....

Would that make Bones a ditch witch ? :lol:

o how funny i will tell you the story of the ditch witch one day...every seen one roll down a mountain?

Odd how our government can keep coming up with new ways to tax smokers, but can't ever come up with a real program to help those smokers kick junk, eh?

Why, the cynical among us might believe that they don't really care about our health so much as they do about our money.

So much for the 'pro choice' democrat liberals who don't want the government interfering in their personal health choices, eh? :lol: The irony is fantastic.

3 reasons

1. It brings in one helluva lot of money in taxation, plus if they shut the industry down it would not be able to pay the Master Settlement Agreement installments (which would piss off the states, many of which have come to rely on the money for things other than healthcare).

2. Closing down the industry would mean all the employees joining the ranks of the unemployed, plus a significant number of the suppliers going out of business and almost all the growers (most tobacco companies leaf operations are not vertically integrated - in fact among the majors I think Reynolds American is the only one).

3. When struggling with falling support in the opinion polls, some friendly headlines and a quick approval rating boost can always be gained by whipping the tobacco industry. The nice thing about this one is that no hard new medical evidence is required - it's fairly easy to conjure up some numbers that make the case, secure in the knowledge that the media is never going to dispute them and most people are predisposed to believe then.

Trust me, the government is going to let this gravy train run as long as it possibly can without running into legal problems of it's own. It's better politics to punch tobacco in the face frequently than to shoot tobacco in the head once.

Odd how our government can keep coming up with new ways to tax smokers, but can't ever come up with a real program to help those smokers kick junk, eh?

Why, the cynical among us might believe that they don't really care about our health so much as they do about our money.

Isn't that the truth? NJ has had the highest cigarette tax in the nation and outlawed indoor smoking a few years ago. There was talk about making it illegal to smoke in your car with minors as well. I am a smoker, but every time they pass another stupid smoking ban, I ask "Why not just make it ILLEGAL?" But you answered the question. They want the frickin money.

Every Monday, on my lunch break, I go to the tobacconist and get my weeks worth of cigarettes. In addition to my regular cigs, I also buy a pack of cherry flavored cigs. The owner of the shop told me this morning that after 90 days he had to send any unsold flavored cigarettes back to his supplier.
What a bunch of crap, if I want a cherry flavored cig now and then, who is the government to tell me I can't have one? I guess I will have to spend that money over seas.

So much for the 'pro choice' democrat liberals who don't want the government interfering in their personal health choices, eh? :lol: The irony is fantastic.
You are speaking of Progressives and Social Conservatives, not liberals. Which includes you, from what I've read.

The government has no business regulating what you do with your body...unless your name is Newby, of course.

Hypocrite.

I would have thought that since the so-called "vice taxes" levied upon "sins" such as alcohol and tobacco were a creation of the religious right, we would have seen all this completely disappear when He took office. But apparently, I was wrong. Obama will outlaw tobacco altogether, eventually.

We will see marijuana legalized in all 50 states though.

Forum List

Back