anti- public schools

Semper Fi said:
The public school system is flawed. I just got done with science homeworkasking about what an independant and dependant variable is. Whats wrong with that? I have no idea what those are! Isnt that what school is for? To learn? Now Im going to get a bad grade (grades are all that matter, I've been tought to think that way becuase of school. Now why would anyone cheat?), becuase they didnt teach me how to do something. Its like that with math too. "Here's a paper, fill it out correctly" But I dont know how to do this" "well, you have to magically know how to do it correctly, or you'll get a bad grade, and with a bad grade, you have ultimately failed" "But if you dont teach me anything, how does it effect me positively?" "well, you have to magically know how to do it correctly, or you'll get a bad grade, and with a bad grade, you have ultimately failed"

If you weren't 'taught' something, why would it be part of the homework? Ok, guess that was your thought too. Have you asked other kids whether or not they had the variable definitions down? If all of you failed to get that information, you have a case.

If you missed it, or are in a class where you do not have the necessary prerequisites, you may need to go in early. (It's this way, if you are in AP/Honors with older kids, the teacher may well assume the students should already have this information-thus no reason to teach it. If most of the students do-from psych or adv statistics, the class will be aimed at the level of the majority.) If the other kids do have that info, you will be required to acquire the missing pieces, one way or the other. Most high school teachers or the department has times that you can go in for help.

Semper Fi said:
I did ask, after not understanding it, I went to my mom, and we just had to guess. Hypothesise, morerather. Thats not the point, the point is that I shouldnt have to ask. School is made for learning. Therefore, I have to be tought. How can I have any pudding if I dont eat my meat? :banana:

"I shouldnt have to ask" is a cop out. In order for learning to occur, there needs to be a student, a teacher, and both must be motivated. School is where you go to learn, I still say Dillo is right and so was I. If after challenging your teacher, you still don't get it, get mom and pops in on it.

yeah, but how can they expect me to know it? Like with math especially, they give you an assignment (that you are graded on), and expect you to get an A or B. How can one do extraordinary if he doesnt have the proper training? That would be like sending a guy to play basketball without teaching him how to dribble. I know I have to put an effort into school to gain something from it, trust me I know. And if I dnt understand how to do something, Im basically screwed. I can ask my mom and dad, sure. But that doesnt necessarily mean that I fully understand it, and when it comes time for the test, I dont know how to do it fully, and I get screwed over again.

Oh yeah, and Kathianne I've been waiting for your post. :thup:

Semper Fi said:
yeah, but how can they expect me to know it? Like with math especially, they give you an assignment (that you are graded on), and expect you to get an A or B. How can one do extraordinary if he doesnt have the proper training? That would be like sending a guy to play basketball without teaching him how to dribble. I know I have to put an effort into school to gain something from it, trust me I know. And if I dnt understand how to do something, Im basically screwed. I can ask my mom and dad, sure. But that doesnt necessarily mean that I fully understand it, and when it comes time for the test, I dont know how to do it fully, and I get screwed over again.

Hey Semper Fi, are you caught in classes that are beyond your current readiness? I might be able to keep you from having to drop or drowning, but it is going to take some work? If it really IS the teacher and this is happening to most of the class, I can give you some advice there too!

Semper Fi said:

You obviously have Internet access. If you haven't been 'taught' put some effort into teaching YOURSELF - what you are doing by making excuses is allowing yourself to become a victim. :)

Semper Fi said:

Semper, since you are big enough to post on an adult board, you deserve (and have been getting) an adult answer. If your teacher is not covering the material, ask him why. If he is covering the material and you are not getting it, then challenge him.

I will throiw my two cents into this.

At West Point, they teach using the "Thayer Method." This basically means that the cadets are considered smart enough to look through material and teach themselves the basics of the lesson so that they can complete their homework assignments. Then, the next day, if there are any questions the cadets have, they get them clarified by the teacher, and then get ready for the next lesson, ad nauseum.

So while you may be frustrated that your teachers aren't teaching you everything beforehand, it could very well be that your teachers think you are mature enough to do a bit of learning on your own. It's up to you to prove them right.

(And if your grades are high enough, consider West Point for college. Much better school than Annapolis!)

I have done research before, and frankly I wouldnt mind that sort of teaching. But I still say its called high SCHOOL for a reason. School is a place to learn. If they want to teach us to look up stuff on our own, they should teach us that or insure that we have been tought it in the past. It makes sense, in school, if they want us to learn something, they should guide around the BS (often through 'cute' stupid projects, that really dont teach me anything, and increase my hate for school), teach us it. Once they teach us what we need to know, then they can push the Thayer Method and whatnot.

Semper Fi said:
I have done research before, and frankly I wouldnt mind that sort of teaching. But I still say its called high SCHOOL for a reason. School is a place to learn. If they want to teach us to look up stuff on our own, they should teach us that or insure that we have been tought it in the past. It makes sense, in school, if they want us to learn something, they should guide around the BS (often through 'cute' stupid projects, that really dont teach me anything, and increase my hate for school), teach us it. Once they teach us what we need to know, then they can push the Thayer Method and whatnot.

Ok, have it your way. You've been given real world answers to a real question. But only you can make it work.

BTW, Theres only one thing wrong with the USMA. It's not the Naval Academy (Marine Option of course).

Forum List

Back