anti- public schools

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
The public school system is flawed. I just got done with science homeworkasking about what an independant and dependant variable is. Whats wrong with that? I have no idea what those are! Isnt that what school is for? To learn? Now Im going to get a bad grade (grades are all that matter, I've been tought to think that way becuase of school. Now why would anyone cheat?), becuase they didnt teach me how to do something. Its like that with math too. "Here's a paper, fill it out correctly" But I dont know how to do this" "well, you have to magically know how to do it correctly, or you'll get a bad grade, and with a bad grade, you have ultimately failed" "But if you dont teach me anything, how does it effect me positively?" "well, you have to magically know how to do it correctly, or you'll get a bad grade, and with a bad grade, you have ultimately failed"

Semper Fi said:
The public school system is flawed. I just got done with science homeworkasking about what an independant and dependant variable is. Whats wrong with that? I have no idea what those are! Isnt that what school is for? To learn? Now Im going to get a bad grade (grades are all that matter, I've been tought to think that way becuase of school. Now why would anyone cheat?), becuase they didnt teach me how to do something. Its like that with math too. "Here's a paper, fill it out correctly" But I dont know how to do this" "well, you have to magically know how to do it correctly, or you'll get a bad grade, and with a bad grade, you have ultimately failed" "But if you dont teach me anything, how does it effect me positively?" "well, you have to magically know how to do it correctly, or you'll get a bad grade, and with a bad grade, you have ultimately failed"

I think you need to quit making excuses and do some research or ask for assistance. Spoon fed education is worthless. If you passively wait for answers to be given to you, you will be responsible for you lack of knowledge. A grade is supposed to be directly related to how much effort YOU put forth. Who is going to give you the answers when/if you graduate?

well dillo, thats kinda rough. although I do see what youre saying, youre saying it in a shitty way IMO.

The public school system DOES suck ass - period, point blank. Thats just how it is. Thats not only IMO, its just a fact....for more reasons than just I say so. Dont get me started on this, I wont shut up and no one wants to hear it (lol).

N - Kiddo, if you need homework help, IM me!!!

KLSuddeth said:
well dillo, thats kinda rough. although I do see what youre saying, youre saying it in a shitty way IMO.

The public school system DOES suck ass - period, point blank. Thats just how it is. Thats not only IMO, its just a fact....for more reasons than just I say so. Dont get me started on this, I wont shut up and no one wants to hear it (lol).

N - Kiddo, if you need homework help, IM me!!!

would you not agree that the learning experience is ultimately up to the student? Public school systems are not all the same. If you are willing to teach him, he will still have to ask you, which is what I recommended. Complaining about the system is a high price to pay when HE is the one who is going to pay the price.

Pls understand that my distaste, distrust and dislike of the public school system isnt based upon what he or any other child or adult has to say. My opinion of the public school system is based upon my own experience with it.

Your response advised him to ask and which is what he did, unless I am just readig this wrong? Im not being a smart ass (not right now anyway-lol), but Im not seeing the problem here.

I agree that the degree of learning is based upon the student's willingness to learn.....but the level of education is based upon much more than that....again, IMO.

Now I need coffee. :cof:
youre talking too loudly (notice the adv/adj difference here-HA!), and might wake me up - stop it. :dance:

real quick before coffee....

complaining about the system.....

ok, point taken. Complaining does diddly shit to fix a flawed system. Something needs to be done. (Gee, THAT statement is applicable EVERYWHERE with any and every thing anymore, no?) :dunno:

KLSuddeth said:
real quick before coffee....

complaining about the system.....

ok, point taken. Complaining does diddly shit to fix a flawed system. Something needs to be done. (Gee, THAT statement is applicable EVERYWHERE with any and every thing anymore, no?) :dunno:

I believe you have developed the universal truth to all problems! :thewave:

I AM the Universal Truth. didnt you know that????> sheesh, and Ive been screaming bout this since my first day of membership. :duh3:

Praise me damnit :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

KLSuddeth said:
I AM the Universal Truth. didnt you know that????> sheesh, and Ive been screaming bout this since my first day of membership. :duh3:

Praise me damnit :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:hail: :hail: :hail: :nine: (oopps) slipped :D

Semper Fi said:

www.goarmy.com

You'd LOVE it.

In the mean time, try google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=independent+and+dependant+variable+

I'm sure you folks have heard the saying "Those who can do, Those who can't teach".

Now I know that there are many good teachers out there, but I think these days most fall into the arena of the above quote. Not good for the public system success.
And don't forget the Parents! It's not ALL up to the teachers.

On the other hand (and there always is one), I think the high school freshman year may be the first year that students aren't totally spoon fed any longer.
It's a shock for sure..but just wait till they hit college.

As dillo said....and I agree.
Who is going to give you the answers when/if you graduate?
BTW...Private school is the same way. This perceived lack of teaching happened in 7th grade for us. I would submit that whether Public or private, this is a norm in the education process.

Just my opinion.

Mr. P said:
I'm sure you folks have heard the saying "Those who can do, Those who can't teach".

Now I know that there are many good teachers out there, but I think these days most fall into the arena of the above quote. Not good for the public system success.
And don't forget the Parents! It's not ALL up to the teachers.

On the other hand (and there always is one), I think the high school freshman year may be the first year that students aren't totally spoon fed any longer.
It's a shock for sure..but just wait till they hit college.

As dillo said....and I agree.

BTW...Private school is the same way. This perceived lack of teaching happened in 7th grade for us. I would submit that whether Public or private, this is a norm in the education process.

Just my opinion.

I agree. However I also think that maybe the teachers should give a heads up, that hey once you hit X grade you have to research this stuff yourself it will no longer be spoon fed to you.

They could work that into the 8th grade, so it's not such a shock to most kid's.

The public school system is almost seen as a punishment by students. A LOT of parents see it as free baby sitting. Until these two perceptions can be eliminated, public school education will be average at best. In the mean time, I would suggest parents teach thier kids as much as they can and kids who are mature enough to realize the importance of education should educate themselves any way possible.

SemperFi ( I like your name by the way), I hate to say it but Dillo is right. You must fix bayonets and charge the teacher and the faculty. You must challenge them to teach. I was the "guy your parents warned you about" in high school. I was entirely too cool to learn bullshit from establishment flunkies. Well, kiddo, I learned quickly that the real world doesn't grade on a curve. You will get what you put into it, and what you demand of it. BTW, I gave that exact same advice to young dissillusioned Marines after they discoverd it wasn't all liberty call and willing wenches. :wine:

D. Why would you post an Army site to a future Marine. Bad form my good man. :halo:

KL: I got three lil monsters and am suffering thru Freshman itis right now. My youngest is a fresh fish in HS and the middle one just started college about four hours ago as I type this. I bet we got more in common than you think about schools. But remember, you, you, you, you, are the best teacher your son (how's he doing btw?) will ever have.

Kath: Teachings tough. Thanks.

well, well. What a debate.

It's convenient to say or believe that the public school system sucks. The problem is, there isn't just one, there are as many as localities in the US. They don't all suck. The one I attended was great, the one my son will go to (if we don't move) is pretty good too.

But a public system is just what you make of it. It is comprised of so many people able to affect the performance: from the administrators, the government, the teachers, the students and the parents. ALL OF THEM must work to provide a good education. ALL OF THEM!

Semper, where are your parents during all of this? What have they done? What steps have you taken to let your school/teachers know that you are missing key elements of your studies? What does the school teacher or guidance counselor or principal say/do when confronted with your lack of preparation?

Dillo's so right, get used to fighting for it. Cause nothing, but nothing, comes to you in this world without effort. If your teacher won't listen, talk to the guidance counselor. If they won't listen, escalate to the principal. If that doesn't work, get your parents involved with the school board or hiring tutors, etc.

Hang in there! it's not going to be easy but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck!

dilloduck said:
I think you need to quit making excuses and do some research or ask for assistance. Spoon fed education is worthless. If you passively wait for answers to be given to you, you will be responsible for you lack of knowledge. A grade is supposed to be directly related to how much effort YOU put forth. Who is going to give you the answers when/if you graduate?

I did ask, after not understanding it, I went to my mom, and we just had to guess. Hypothesise, morerather. Thats not the point, the point is that I shouldnt have to ask. School is made for learning. Therefore, I have to be tought. How can I have any pudding if I dont eat my meat? :banana:

Forum List

Back