Anti-PC people making a mistake on the Duck Dynasty story

The show's ratings took a huge hit, even with the rubberneckers who tuned in to see what the fuss was about.

Robertson was not set up. He cheerfully used GQ to get his message out because A&E was cutting out his sermonizing on the show.

Americans are now surprised to learn the show isn't really spontaneous and unscripted and the Robertsons aren't nearly as dumb as they act on the show.

The Robertsons will soon learn that you can't fool all of the people all of the time. We were content to let you amuse us for a while, but now that you've mistaken this as a license to promote bigotry and homophobia in the name of your notion of God, you'll find that Americans aren't swallowing it.

I'm betting that A&E will soon drop the show due to low ratings. And no one will notice.

The show's ratings took a huge hit, even with the rubberneckers who tuned in to see what the fuss was about.

Robertson was not set up. He cheerfully used GQ to get his message out because A&E was cutting out his sermonizing on the show.

Americans are now surprised to learn the show isn't really spontaneous and unscripted and the Robertsons aren't nearly as dumb as they act on the show.

The Robertsons will soon learn that you can't fool all of the people all of the time. We were content to let you amuse us for a while, but now that you've mistaken this as a license to promote bigotry and homophobia in the name of your notion of God, you'll find that Americans aren't swallowing it.

I'm betting that A&E will soon drop the show due to low ratings. And no one will notice.
Oh, stop with this PC bullshit. People should be allowed to speak their mind without sanction even if you don't agree.

You're a bit of a fascist sow.

It's one thing to speak your mind and another to insult and denigrate blacks, women and gays, all in the name of God.

I think many of the knee jerkers here who defended him without bothering to read the GQ piece will be in for a rude awakening when Phil sets out on his mission to save America from sinners.

It's one thing to speak your mind and another to insult and denigrate blacks, women and gays, all in the name of God.

I think many of the knee jerkers here who defended him without bothering to read the GQ piece will be in for a rude awakening when Phil sets out on his mission to save America from sinners.
Clearly, I spoke my mind. You are a self-righteous sow, and I couldn't give a rat's ass about your pontifications. Obviously, I don't subscribe to the dogma that people have the right not to be insulted.

Some sage advice to Conservatives....

When speaking about Homosexuality, bringing up bestiality and pedophilia will get you in trouble every time.......Don't do it

Jim Crow was a dark period in our history. Lynching, bombing, terrorism are not something to be nostalgic for.......Don't do it

It not a freedom of speech issue. That is a political distnction. It is however something that illuminates the left and all of their double talking, double standards and hypocritical disposition. They will always believe they are the smartest ones in the room and anyone that is not in lock step agreement on every issue are demented, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, right wing hey seed rubes.

And the rightwingers who are throwing a massive epileptic fit over the fact that some clown is getting criticized for saying something stupid...

...what about their standards?

There has always been PC
Back in the 40s, saying anything pro Germany or Japan got you fired
Back in the 50s, saying anything remotely favoring communism got you fired
Back in the 60s-70s, saying the n-word would get you fired

Now, equating homosexuals with bestiality will get you fired

You don't have to be PC to stop comparing gay Americans to humandogfucking and murder. You have to have a soul.

You don't have to be PC to stop comparing gay Americans to humandogfucking and murder. You have to have a soul.

He didn't do that. He said he didn't get how a man could prefer another man's butthole over a woman's vagina. Just his opinion. It is what it is.

[MENTION=33063]paulitician[/MENTION] You are exactly correct. I pointed this out before somewhere on USMB by using a simple analogy. Listing things together in a category is NOT to say that they are equal. It merely puts them in the same list...just as John, Jim, Steve, Al and Bob are all boy's names.

Listing homosexuality, bestiality and pedophilia as sins does not make them equal any more than listing yellow, red, green, black, white and magenta as colors in a box of Crayons makes them equal.

Liberals (such as those quoted above you here) however, have trouble accepting that logic because it does not support their need to distort the facts.

Some sage advice to Conservatives....

When speaking about Homosexuality, bringing up bestiality and pedophilia will get you in trouble every time.......Don't do it

Jim Crow was a dark period in our history. Lynching, bombing, terrorism are not something to be nostalgic for.......Don't do it

There has always been PC
Back in the 40s, saying anything pro Germany or Japan got you fired
Back in the 50s, saying anything remotely favoring communism got you fired
Back in the 60s-70s, saying the n-word would get you fired

Now, equating homosexuals with bestiality will get you fired

He didn't do that. He said he didn't get how a man could prefer another man's butthole over a woman's vagina. Just his opinion. It is what it is.

[MENTION=33063]paulitician[/MENTION] You are exactly correct. I pointed this out before somewhere on USMB by using a simple analogy. Listing things together in a category is NOT to say that they are equal. It merely puts them in the same list...just as John, Jim, Steve, Al and Bob are all boy's names.

Listing homosexuality, bestiality and pedophilia as sins does not make them equal any more than listing yellow, red, green, black, white and magenta as colors in a box of Crayons makes them equal.

Liberals (such as those quoted above you here) however, have trouble accepting that logic because it does not support their need to distort the facts.
Well with Duck Dynasty's ratings going down the drain, it certainly appears as though their viewers have figured it out.

Open your eyes. The big losers in this fracus have been A&E, GLAAD, and other intolerant bigots like yourself. The Robinsons don't need or especially want your approval. Get over it.

Duck Dynasty fans are still punishing A&E for what they did to Phil Robertson. It's still the highest rated reality show on cable. Then too, what's the effect of those endless reruns? It's not like airing an episode isn't going happen again in an hour, and again the next day, and again the day after that.

Duck Dynasty's ratings had been cooling for awhile even before the GLAAD/Phil Robertson flap, but not enough then or now to drop it off A&E's most profitable show list. Of course the Left is jumping with joy that "Duck's" premiere was down in ratings. They don't care that everybody else's winter premiere was also down in ratings. But when they are anxious to smear somebody, those extraneous facts can be ignored, yes?

From Variety 1/23/14:

“Duck,” though, seemed to be cooling toward the tail end of last season, falling below 8 million a couple of times before closing with 8.4 million. Last week’s fifth-season premiere ratings were lower than many expected, but above where the show closed last season and nearly on par with its winter bow of 2013.

Among all programs on Wednesday, “Duck Dynasty” ranked behind only Fox’s “American Idol” and ABC’s “Modern Family” in adults 18-49.
A&E?s ?Duck Dynasty? Falls to Lowest Ratings Since 2012 | Variety

Duck Dynasty's ratings had been cooling for awhile even before the GLAAD/Phil Robertson flap, but not enough then or now to drop it off A&E's most profitable show list. Of course the Left is jumping with joy that "Duck's" premiere was down in ratings. They don't care that everybody else's winter premiere was also down in ratings. But when they are anxious to smear somebody, those extraneous facts can be ignored, yes?

From Variety 1/23/14:

“Duck,” though, seemed to be cooling toward the tail end of last season, falling below 8 million a couple of times before closing with 8.4 million. Last week’s fifth-season premiere ratings were lower than many expected, but above where the show closed last season and nearly on par with its winter bow of 2013.

Among all programs on Wednesday, “Duck Dynasty” ranked behind only Fox’s “American Idol” and ABC’s “Modern Family” in adults 18-49.

I don't know why anyone would care about the ratings; it doesn't benefit anybody except the advertisers. And those who sell the ads.

It is kind of a sad comment on our "culture" though that you can make big profits by following duck hunters around through a swamp. Or any of that other pathetic schlock A&E sells.

Open your eyes. The big losers in this fracus have been A&E, GLAAD, and other intolerant bigots like yourself. The Robinsons don't need or especially want your approval. Get over it.

A&E is definitely not a "loser" here, depending on what you mean my "loser". In terms of profits they just got a shot in the arm--- they're the ones selling the ads. Duh.

On the other hand if by "loser" you mean using the media you have to bring socially redeeming content to television, well A&E sold out that potential a decade ago when they started mongering this kind of televisual diarrhea.

On the whole I'd say the losers are the viewing public who enable this kind of electromagnetic flatulence by paying it any attention at all. That's where the money comes from.

A&E is definitely not a "loser" here, depending on what you mean my "loser". In terms of profits they just got a shot in the arm--- they're the ones selling the ads. Duh.

On the other hand if by "loser" you mean using the media you have to bring socially redeeming content to television, well A&E sold out that potential a decade ago when they started mongering this kind of televisual diarrhea.

On the whole I'd say the losers are the viewing public who enable this kind of electromagnetic flatulence by paying it any attention at all. That's where the money comes from.

A&E lost in their attempt to dictate the opinions to be expressed by the Robinson's and in the process it was made obvious that A&E needed the Robertsons far more than Robertsons needed A&E and other networks made it plain that they would be more than happy host the show.

In terms of profits they just got a shot in the arm--- they're the ones selling the ads. Duh.

"Shot in the arm"? More like shot themselves in the foot. Cracker Barrel is a good example. Who do you think pressured A&E to back down except the people who pay (or not) for advertising?
You should keep in mind that TV is just is a sideline for the Robinsons. They sell duck calls, deer calls, wine, guns and I don't what else but they are already making more money than they know what to do with and much of it are lines that A&E gets no cut of.

You are welcome to your opinion but somehow I have doubts about how many of the champagne and caviar set buy duck calls. And who gives a crap what they want to see on TV anyway?

A&E lost in their attempt to dictate the opinions to be expressed by the Robinson's and in the process it was made obvious that A&E needed the Robertsons far more than Robertsons needed A&E and other networks made it plain that they would be more than happy host the show.

In terms of profits they just got a shot in the arm--- they're the ones selling the ads. Duh.

"Shot in the arm"? More like shot themselves in the foot. Cracker Barrel is a good example. Who do you think pressured A&E to back down except the people who pay (or not) for advertising?
You should keep in mind that TV is just is a sideline for the Robinsons. They sell duck calls, deer calls, wine, guns and I don't what else but they are already making more money than they know what to do with and much of it are lines that A&E gets no cut of.

You are welcome to your opinion but somehow I have doubts about how many of the champagne and caviar set buy duck calls. And who gives a crap what they want to see on TV anyway?

You have no clue how this works I see. There's an old saying: "there's no such thing as bad publicity". And this is a classic example.

A&E is not a company out ot make any kind of political or philosophical point except in your rhetorical wet dreams. They're a company out to make money, period. And obviously they don't care how low they have to go to get it. And they just squeezed a few extra drops out of this turnip--whether that was the original intent or not.

And all these mindless threads harrumphing about a reality show only gave them the spotlight to do it. Had nobody paid attention they would have had nothing to mine.

Not rocket surgery.

From Variety 1/23/14:

I don't know why anyone would care about the ratings; it doesn't benefit anybody except the advertisers. And those who sell the ads.

It is kind of a sad comment on our "culture" though that you can make big profits by following duck hunters around through a swamp. Or any of that other pathetic schlock A&E sells.

Spoken like a true open minded even handed trooper. Not. :) (Just teasing.)

Though I am not a Duck Dynasty fan myself, I personally receive a great deal of encouragement that Duck Dynasty is based on good will, traditional values, humor, people living their lives in a virtuous and respectful way, and that no gratuitous politics, sex, profanity, or violence is included. And it still receives rave reviews and has a significant following. Why would anybody think A&E to be pathetic schlock simply because they don't deal in a lot of the seamier side of our modern culture?

It should encourage us all and lift the heart that something good can still pull the bigger audiences.

I care about the ratings because it is also encouraging to me that the narrow minded, better-than-thou bigots, and hate mongerers have not been able to destroy it via smear campaigns and personal attacks. It is encouraging to me that those who don't wallow in that kind of mud have not caved in to that kind of campaign. The advertisers care about the ratings because they usually try to utilize their advertising budget where large numbers of their customers and potential customers will see their ads. And so far, Duck Dynasty is drawing the kinds of numbers that advertisers look for.

From Variety 1/23/14:

kardashians, real housewives, any of those reality shows. look at the crap people can't live without. even look at the upcoming superbowl. costs to advertise will go up 20 fold for a spot, just because people will be watching. show business is big business.

How has anyone been stopped from watching Duck Dynasty or any show they believe to have the values they want to see on TV?
The Christian victim myth has been 100% proven false by Duck Dynasty having the ratings it does have and the support from advertisers that have made massive profits from running their ads on the show.
All good.
What we are left with are a bunch of cry babies screaming "How dare anyone question a Christian that believes homosexuality is a sin".
Well, we are and will question that every time, all the time and from now on so get used to it.
You can say what you want to and we will say what we want to and to date no one has stopped anyone.
But each of us are responsible for and accountable for what we say.
Personally, I would not boycott A & E for having him on the show and am not offended by what he said. I disagree with him but he has a right to say it.
And on the other hand I am not offended by those that want to boycott the show for what he said and complained to sponsors about what he said.
It goes both ways. Free country.
But to label this as some kind of violation of speech is a weak and uninformed reaction attempting to twist this into Christian Warriors versus Queer Fag Gay Rights Activists.

How has anyone been stopped from watching Duck Dynasty or any show they believe to have the values they want to see on TV?
The Christian victim myth has been 100% proven false by Duck Dynasty having the ratings it does have and the support from advertisers that have made massive profits from running their ads on the show.
All good.
What we are left with are a bunch of cry babies screaming "How dare anyone question a Christian that believes homosexuality is a sin".
Well, we are and will question that every time, all the time and from now on so get used to it.
You can say what you want to and we will say what we want to and to date no one has stopped anyone.
Personally, I would not boycott A & E for having him on the show and am not offended by what he said. I disagree with him but he has a right to say it.
And on the other hand I am not offended by those that want to boycott the show for what he said and complained to sponsors about what he said.
But to label this as some kind of violation of speech is a weak and uninformed reaction attempting to twist this into Christian Warriors versus Queer Fag Gay Rights Activists.

That was extremely sane.

Who are you??

:D

From Variety 1/23/14:

Spoken like a true open minded even handed trooper. Not. :) (Just teasing.)

Though I am not a Duck Dynasty fan myself, I personally receive a great deal of encouragement that Duck Dynasty is based on good will, traditional values, humor, people living their lives in a virtuous and respectful way, and that no gratuitous politics, sex, profanity, or violence is included. And it still receives rave reviews and has a significant following. Why would anybody think A&E to be pathetic schlock simply because they don't deal in a lot of the seamier side of our modern culture?

So basically you're applauding them for not being even worse. :confused:
By that logic I should thank you for not calling me a murderer in this post. Not that there would be any reason to but after all, other posters do it... I dunno, it's a strange rationalization to conclude that something deserves accolades for not taking every available path to televisual wankitude. There are many paths to televisual wankitude. Nobody needs to use all of them simultaneously to get there.

It should encourage us all and lift the heart that something good can still pull the bigger audiences.

I care about the ratings because it is also encouraging to me that the narrow minded, better-than-thou bigots, and hate mongerers have not been able to destroy it via smear campaigns and personal attacks. It is encouraging to me that those who don't wallow in that kind of mud have not caved in to that kind of campaign. The advertisers care about the ratings because they usually try to utilize their advertising budget where large numbers of their customers and potential customers will see their ads. And so far, Duck Dynasty is drawing the kinds of numbers that advertisers look for.

It sure is. Which serves only the advertisers (and the Duckers and A&E), not the public.

Compare these guys wandering around in a swamp -- and the naked couples wandering on an island, and the scavengers wandering around abandoned storage lockers, etc -- with what A&E used to present when it exercised the A in its name: classical music, plays, independent film; and recall once again the prescient words of H.L. Mencken: "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

Ratings sell ads. That's all they do. The viewer is nothing more than an obedient sponge in that contract, certainly not any kind of participant. The wonder of it lies in how low a level they are willing to obey. And each time a new low is reached, the bar drops again, if only out of curiosity about how low a bar the unwashed will tolerate before finally reaching the point of declaring "we're manipulated as hell and we're not going to take it any more!". At some point you'd think a sentient human would shake his cobwebs and go "wait a minute-- I'm watching a preproduced program of two naked strangers look for food on an island, the outcome of which bears absolutely zero import on my life. What the fuck am I doing?"

Last edited:
All good.

That was extremely sane.

Who are you??

That guy has been making exactly that kind of perfect sense throughout this fake kerfuffle. He's good. He never acknowledges reps so I stopped tossing him greenades, but he's been refreshingly consistent in his levelheadedness. :thup:

All good.

That was extremely sane.

Who are you??

I am a 59 year old born and raised in the deep south. My father worked for integrating schools in the early 60s. My mother's family have been here since 1680 and are Quaker in upper NY state. I am a flannel shirt wearing, southern drawl talkin, fishin, huntin, gun rights supporter, strong fiscal conservative, father of 3 grown children, married for 37 years to my sweet heart, straight, southern by the Grace of God, follower of the love and peace teachings of that Jewish carpenter and played a lot of football in between.
I am a defender of freedom. I have nothing against gay folk but if one is truly a patriot of freedom in this country they seek to defend the rights of those they may despise the most.
Gay folk ain't any different than anyone else except they fall in love with folk of the same sex.
And should not be treated as 2nd class citizens because old Jewish law says so.

Forum List

Back