Anti-Kerry Film to Air on Eve of Election

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,135077,00.html

LOS ANGELES — The Sinclair Broadcast Group is ordering its TV stations across the country to air a documentary on the eve of the presidential election that attacks Sen. John Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activism, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.

The one-hour program, "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," features former prisoners of war accusing Kerry, a decorated veteran who took up the anti-war cause upon returning from Vietnam, of prolonging the war and worsening their plight.

The newspaper said the program is to be followed by a panel discussion to which Kerry will be invited, which could satisfy fairness regulations.

It is expected to be broadcast between Oct. 21 and Oct. 24, depending on the city, the Times said, citing sources it didn't identify.

A call by The Associated Press on Saturday to Sinclair's headquarters in Maryland was not immediately returned.

Sinclair either owns or programs content for stations in 62 markets around the country, including Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas and Sacramento. Fourteen of the stations are located in such swing states as Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Kerry campaign officials criticized the plan and said the candidate had not been invited to take part in any discussion.

"It's not the American way for powerful corporations to strong-arm local broadcasters to air lies promoting a political agenda," said Kerry spokesman David Wade.

The Times said Sinclair is ordering its stations to pre-empt local program in favor of the report.

Sinclair gained attention in April when it refused to air a "Nightline" segment on seven ABC stations it owns. The company said the segment, during which anchor Ted Koppel read the names of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq, was a political statement disguised as news.

"I can't think of a precedent of holding up programming to show a political documentary at a point where it would have the maximum effect on the vote," said Jay Rosen, chairman of New York University's (search) journalism department.

Michael Moore (search) is in negotiations, however, to make his anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" available as a pay-per-view show the night before the election, and the Sundance Channel plans to air clips on Monday from an anti-Bush "Vote for Change" rock concert.

Independents aren't going to buy this harsh line of rhetoric and definitely won't base it on who they vote for, so I do not see this as hurting Kerry.

A pay-per-view showing of F911 doesn't really compare to a free hour of tv on ABC.

Palestinian Jew said:
Independents aren't going to buy this harsh line of rhetoric and definitely won't base it on who they vote for, so I do not see this as hurting Kerry.

A pay-per-view showing of F911 doesn't really compare to a free hour of tv on ABC.
The TV stations have a right to air what they want to air. Some people do not like or agree with the content in some of the sitcoms that are aired on TV, but that doesn't stop the network from airing the shows.

If the democrats get to create their movies and TV documentaties, such as F911, then the republicans have a right to do so as well. It doesn't matter how it is put on TV, free or not.

Kerry has acknowledged that he went overboard (I think those were his words) in his post-war activities. The question is why he's afraid to come out and apologize for the pain and suffering he caused his fellow vets and their families through his actions. Unless it's just foolish pride, I really don't undstand this. He could probably diminish a lot of this if only he had the courage and humilty to admit that he was young, naive and WRONG to engage in those post-war activities.

Being against the war is one thing, doling out false war crimes accusations, branding your borthers in arms as heartless murderers and meeting with the North Vietnamese is another. For that alone, he does not deserve the title of Commander in Chief. For this reason alone, I will be very dissappointed if he wins.

Flying Duck said:
Kerry has acknowledged that he went overboard (I think those were his words) in his post-war activities. The question is why he's afraid to come out and apologize for the pain and suffering he caused his fellow vets and their families through his actions. Unless it's just foolish pride, I really don't undstand this. He could probably diminish a lot of this if only he had the courage and humilty to admit that he was young, naive and WRONG to engage in those post-war activities.

Being against the war is one thing, doling out false war crimes accusations, branding your borthers in arms as heartless murderers and meeting with the North Vietnamese is another. For that alone, he does not deserve the title of Commander in Chief. For this reason alone, I will be very dissappointed if he wins.

You haven't figured it out that Kerry is NEVER wrong? As far as I can tell, he's never even been mistaken. :poop:

both sides have equal opportunity to tear each other down, and rightfully so.. the stakes are high.

yeah i think bush fucked off in his national guard time, which is fine.. i mean its really no surprise to those that have followed bush's career.. however, that doesnt make him a bad leader persay. we've all done crap in our younger years that we acted on emotion rather than thought.. but thats all a part of maturing and aging and learning from your past and mistakes.

i think both guys can learn from their past and their mistakes. i think kerry felt a strong enough feeling to go in front of the govt and denounce what he nearly lost his life for.. to speak for all the soldiers over there that were very unhappy and had lost all morale in a war we "couldnt win". its understandable.. if you've ever been in a situation where you felt like you needed to defend the lot of you, you can understand. i think this vietnam mud slinging bullshit is just that, bullshit. BUT. kerry DID invite this into his campaign by focusing on his service, so its somewhat warranted. those swift boats veterans for truth guys are just clowns.. im sorry.. i can see it now.. they served with him over there, disliked him for some reason and took offense to his post war actions and the hate stuck. so they'll do whatever to discredit him.. it happens everyday in everyday situations. i think in trying to recall situations from 30 years, your going to get things distorted.. that goes for kerry too. that whole part of this election is just terrible.. that either side is trying to discredit either's service. whether they did what they said or not, they were both enlisted and served the country in one way or the other...

so i look past that..

i see a lot of weaknesses in kerry too.. but i also see a lot in bush. it equals out to me..

Some of the other board members can give you better specifics on this, but it seems to me that I heard Bush earned enough points for discharge on a six-year hitch WAY ahead of time. Saying that he fucked off in the National Guard is, therefore, inaccurate and unfair.

musicman said:
Some of the other board members can give you better specifics on this, but it seems to me that I heard Bush earned enough points for discharge on a six-year hitch WAY ahead of time. Saying that he fucked off in the National Guard is, therefore, inaccurate and unfair.

i must agree. Bush had enough points in the first two years. and he had enough points in every year afterwards. he didnt blow off his NG service at all.

i dont know about that..

but you know.. none of us were there so none of us know the real story anyways.. i believe Bush did his fair share of partying and I dont think the national guard was any exception. thats fine tho, he was young. i dont hold it against him. i think its also safe to say kerry was gettin loaded over in vietnam too. because all in all, who cares? i dont care what someone did 30 years ago i dont think it really reflects your character. imagine if someone judged most of you on your life 30 years ago and held everything you did against you.

anyone ever see the HBO special when Bush was governer and they were tagging along on his plane and such?

Mainframe:

Your beliefs aside, will you state unequivocally that nothing in any record, anywhere, indicates that George Bush served less than honorably?

Mainframe:

I take it from your post that you think men who served FULL tours of duty (multiple in some cases) risking their lives and behaving admirably are "clowns" for taking offense at someone who got out as quickly as he could, came home to denouce them in front of the US Seante and the entire poluation as reckless murderers and then had the gall to meet with the North Vietnamese.

As I stated, he could probably make most of this go away if he would just own up to his past mistakes but he refuses to do so. He hasn't and, until he does, those who were HURT FOR LIFE by his actions have every right to air their opinion.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who served admirably, commited no atrocities and then came home to the scorn of a nation greatly inflamed against them by Kerry's actions. Clowns? I don't think so.

All thatb Kerry has to do is get a hug from X president Clinton, he'll be able to feel his pain.

Forum List

Back