Anti-Immigration Stance Hurt GOP

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Of the 13 House Republicans who lost their seats on Nov. 4, nine were members of the Immigration Reform Caucus, which has opposed a path to citizenship for the country's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants. A 10th member, Virginia's Virgil Goode, is trailing in a race still too close to call. ...

The camps break down roughly along these lines: Business and immigrant groups argue for a three-pronged approach that includes legalizing immigrants who overstayed visas or entered the U.S. illegally; enhancing border security; and admitting more workers as the economy needs them. Social conservatives and law-and-order Republicans have argued that the border should be secured before there is any plan to expand immigration.

Many Republican candidates' strong stand against illegal immigrants was read by voters as anti-Latino, and likely hurt incumbents in Florida, Virginia and Colorado. More than 100,000 newly naturalized citizens registered to vote in Florida, where Reps. Tom Feeney and Ric Keller, both members of the immigration-reform caucus, lost their seats.

Immigration wasn't the only issue in any of those races. But in a study to be released Wednesday, the pro-immigration group America's Voice found that of 20 races in which candidates drew sharp distinctions on immigration, hard-line "enforcement only" advocates lost in 18.

Economic Crises Will Take Precedence Over Near-Term Immigration Overhaul - WSJ.com

God, that xenophobic rhetoric on illegal immigration was their favorite topic for about four years. You couldn't turn on Sean Hannity's show without seeing him frothing at the mouth about hispanics.

I must say though, that I think a lot of the wingnuts are right about what the GOP needs to do - they need to become even more rightwing; they need to keep up the harsh rhetoric on immigration; and they need to push for even more corporate deregulation.

God, that xenophobic rhetoric on illegal immigration was their favorite topic for about four years. You couldn't turn on Sean Hannity's show without seeing him frothing at the mouth about hispanics.
What's so xenophobic about wanting to enforce the law?

The sotto voce racism (which was increasing less and less sotto over time) definitely did hurt the GOP.

They made their bed and they laid down with racist reactionaries and they lost the election in part because of that, too.

What's so xenophobic about wanting to enforce the law?

I'm not going to help you dig yourself out of a hole. Libs told you for four years what you were doing wrong, and you laughed us off.

There's nothing wrong with enforcing laws. There is something wrong with the manner in which rhetoric and images are used as wedge issues. There are ways to address certain issues without using inflammatory rhetoric and without alienating people.

You'll have to figure it out on your own. My advice was ignored by you cons for years.

Funny... it's you libs that put those words into the mouths of REPs... I hardly EVER see racist or xenophobic words coming from those who support immigration reform and enforcement of illegal immigrant laws..

wanting to ensure that all people in this country are here legally... not a bad thing

McCain supported amnesty for illegals. So much for that idea!

The real reason Republicans are losing is because America's going non-white.

Forum List

Back