Antarctic ice shelf showing signs of breaking away

Global warming can has significant impacts. It has in the past, and we've had periods of rapid warming in the past.

The problem with the people who focus solely on the anthropogenic model is that they've somehow managed to believe that there's no doubt the model is accurate. That, of course, isn't true. It is by no means certain that humanity is a primary cause of warming.

Now, from my perspective, I agree with most of the environmental measures the anthropogenic people want because I think they're just good sense. Reducing emissions, etc. makes sense whether there is a link to warming or not, and if you couple that with the possibility that it is linked to warming it makes even more sense.

But I feel in all likelihood that warming is a combination of natural cycle and human activity, with the natural cycles being predominant. That's just my sense from reading a lot of the scientific literature directly rather than relying on popular media reports.

So here's the problem: Al Gore and his fellow subscribers to the anthropogenic forces as "primary" are betting everything on the idea that we can reverse warming by changing our activities. I think they're wrong. We may be able to slow it somewhat (or maybe not), but in the meantime while they've focused all their efforts on prevention no one has focused much on adapting to the change.

We need to look more at adaptation because we likely can't stop the warming. The impact could be extremely costly in terms of dollars, lives, economy, etc. But as usual we have to be hit over the head and then react retroactively.

The anthropogenic side of the argument have convinced so many people that we can actually stop climate change that we're not doing hardly anything to deal with the reality that we probably cannot. That makes the people who have blinders on in the anthropogenic crowd as dangerous as the people who say there is no climate change at all.

Fact is, the climate is changing. While we try to understand it better, we need to start making preparations for the change. We're probably not going to be able to do anything to avert it.

To point out one fact: Gore doesn't really care, he is just interested in the money and attention so pretends to care, like all cult leaders.

Antarctic ice shelf showing signs of breaking away

Maybe the Antactic ice shelf is standing still and the rest of the world is breaking away?

I defy you to prove me wrong.

To point out one fact: Gore doesn't really care, he is just interested in the money and attention so pretends to care, like all cult leaders.

Yea, it's a blast to go around the country lecturing at colleges and staying in Mariotts.

No, it's not.

Believe me, I've done it.

Yea, it's a blast to go around the country lecturing at colleges and staying in Mariotts.

No, it's not.

Believe me, I've done it.

Clearly you weren't making the kind of money Gore makes off of Global Warming. Gore makes about $175,000 per speech and his net worth has gone up quite a bit since he hitched his star to the global warming wagon.

Clearly you weren't making the kind of money Gore makes off of Global Warming. Gore makes about $175,000 per speech and his net worth has gone up quite a bit since he hitched his star to the global warming wagon.

Not to mention that people who crave attention will do ANYTHING, no matter how vile or tedious, just to get it. Ever wonder why the kid in the store won't stop throwing a tantrum? It can't feel that good to scream, cry, and roll around on the floor like that. Gore is just like that kid.

Global warming is a GOOD thing, I never understood why so many think is such a bad thing.

hundreds of millions of acres of new arable farmland. Cold water fish will simply migrate to the arctic and be replaced by an explosion of warm water fish. I'm quite partial to Red Snapper myself... So what if we can catch them off the Newfoundland coast?

And if my winters warmed up 20deg it would only get down to 0 here instead of -20. That's a GOOD thing, too. I'd use less energy and have a smaller carbon footprint and a larger bank account

Where will coral migrate to? What about all of the life forms that depend on healthy coral reefs? Global warming is not a good thing. Move somewhere warmer.

In the last 50 years we have seen very rapid warming, and changes in the arctic that are far more serious than even the most pessimistic model. During that time the output of the sun, the total solar irradiance, has hardly changed, and insignificant decrease. In fact, the only major change that has occured is the accelerating increase of the anthropogenic GHGs in the atmosphere. About a 39% increase in CO2 alone. a 250% increase in CH4.

There have been periods in the Earth's geological history when there was rapid increase in the GHGs in the atmosphere due to natural processes. These led up to major and minor extinction events. However, as far as we can tell by the proxies, there was never a time when the percentage of the GHGs increase was as rapid as it is today. And there are none of the processes that caused the natural increases going on today. The only source of the excess GHGs today is the actions of mankind.

Were we to cease putting GHGs into the atmosphere today, we would still face another 30 to 50 years of effects from the present level of GHGs. Most of us will not live to see any improvement from actions we take now.

As far as Gore goes, he successfully got his message out. He made a lot of money in the high tech market when it was on a downer. Seems to me that he is the very ideal of Adam Smith capitalism, doing well while doing good.

Here is one major issue, if it's natural we should not stop it, if it's not then we need to find out why and try to stop it. But just cutting back pollution we know isn't helping anyway.

Kitten, you need to read Hansen's article on pollution and GHGs. The pollution actually masked the effects of the GHGs for a while in the '70s. However, now the pollution is actively part of the problem as the particulates are increasing the speed of the melts on the glaciers and ice caps.

New Topics

Forum List

Back