Another Y2K event this April?

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Seems older GPS systems might have a problem........

That's the day millions of GPS receivers will literally run out of time, rolling over their time counters back to zero, thanks to limitations in timekeeping for older GPS devices. Many navigation systems may be affected, such as on ships or older aircraft, although your smartphone will be fine.

But because GPS satellites are also crucial to digital timekeeping used by websites, electrical grids, financial markets, data centers and computer networks, the effect of April 6 may be even more wide-ranging.

"I'm not going to be flying on April 6," said one information-security expert during a presentation at the RSA 2019 security conference in San Francisco this week.

GPS Flaw: Security Expert Says He Won't Fly April 6

That's the day millions of GPS receivers will literally run out of time, rolling over their time counters back to zero, thanks to limitations in timekeeping for older GPS devices. Many navigation systems may be affected, such as on ships or older aircraft, although your smartphone will be fine.

But because GPS satellites are also crucial to digital timekeeping used by websites, electrical grids, financial markets, data centers and computer networks, the effect of April 6 may be even more wide-ranging.

"I'm not going to be flying on April 6," said one information-security expert during a presentation at the RSA 2019 security conference in San Francisco this week.

So the next time my GPS tells me to turn the wrong way on a one way street, it will have an excuse?

So the next time my GPS tells me to turn the wrong way on a one way street, it will have an excuse?
If it happens it could be slightly more problematic.

GPS satellites are also crucial to digital timekeeping used by websites, electrical grids, financial markets, data centers and computer networks

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the IRS is definitely affected........ :eusa_whistle:

I think you meant Y2J.

giphy.gif

Forum List

Back