Another winner

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Ya know I support our police, I understand they have a tough job and need leeway on a lot of things but THIS is just ignorant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080213/ap_on_re_us/wheelchair_dumping

The guy has limited use of his arms, he might not even been able to use them as he fell. This deputy could have seriously injured this man for absolutely NO reason. And the others in the room saw nothing wrong with it.

I do not agree they could have stopped her since it happened pretty fast, but they showed no concern at all for what she did and none of them checked the guy if he were hurt.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="370" wmode="transparent" data="http://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=0d7_1202840119"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=0d7_1202840119"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="quality" value="high"></object>

It's wrong is so many ways. It's another black eye for the police.

this is what you will get in a society that lowers the bar..torture and humiliation is fine for terrorist suspects ,why not criminal suspects
wtf..the difference...might even illicit some confessions while we are at it..and dont even get me started on them pinko protesters

this is what you will get in a society that lowers the bar..torture and humiliation is fine for terrorist suspects ,why not criminal suspects
wtf..the difference...might even illicit some confessions while we are at it..and dont even get me started on them pinko protesters

Lower the bar you say......................DAMN WE'VE BURIED THE FREAKIN' BAR...................there's no bar left, Hillary and her ilk have seen to that.............and turned this country into a free for the taking nightmare!!!!!!!!:eusa_wall: :eusa_drool:

what the hell does national politics have to do with an asshole cop making it clear that she needs a different employer?

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBGFRWYTCF.html

Wheelchair Case Deputy Resigns
Skip directly to the full story.
By JOSH POLTILOVE The Tampa Tribune

Published: Feb 19, 2008
TAMPA - Under fire worldwide for dumping a quadriplegic man out of a wheelchair, a veteran Hillsborough County detention deputy has quit.

"Please be aware that it never was, nor never could be my intention to bring malicious harm or shame to anyone," Charlette Marshall-Jones wrote in a resignation letter. "That is because it is that I posses too much pride and integrity in what I do and who I am."

Sheriff David Gee accepted her resignation Monday, but an internal affairs investigation is ongoing, the sheriff's office said in a statement.

On Jan. 29, a video camera recorded Marshall-Jones raising the back of a wheelchair and sending Brian Sterner to the floor. Sterner, 32, of Riverview, had been taken to the jail on a warrant stemming from a traffic violation.

Marshall-Jones, 44, submitted her resignation Friday and turned herself in at Orient Road Jail on Saturday morning. Deputies arrested her on a charge of abuse of a disabled person, records show.

"She didn't want to get fired, which was inevitable. It's as simple as that," said her attorney, Norman Cannella Sr. "With all the furor that was caused over this and the position the sheriff and staff have taken, you've got to be a complete idiot to think that she wouldn't be fired."

The 22-year veteran will receive retirement benefits, Cannella said.

She earned nearly $55,000 last year, according to the county.

The Department of Management Services, which handles the Florida Retirement System, still has her listed as a current employee, said Linda McDonald, a spokeswoman with the department. Marshall-Jones or the sheriff's office has to request an audit through the department to learn how much her current retirement benefit will be.

If Marshall-Jones had stayed employed until March 2011, her lifetime retirement benefits would have been more than $4,100 a month, McDonald said.

Details on what payment Marshall-Jones might receive for unused sick and vacation time were unavailable Monday evening, but should be available today, Carter said.

Colonel: Fingerprinting Recorded
Sterner and his attorney, John Trevena, said last week that there was a second incident of abuse of Sternerat the jail that involved Marshall-Jones and another person. They would not elaborate on the incident, but Trevena said it occurred while Sterner was being fingerprinted.He said deputies told him the fingerprinting area doesn't have cameras so he was unable to see the incident.

Col. David Parrish, who oversees the jail, said the fingerprinting area does have cameras. He said he watched video of Sterner being fingerprinted and that Marshall-Jones was not in the room.

A different deputy took Sterner's prints, Parrish said.

Last week, Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum asked his Office of Civil Rights to review footage of the first incident.

Monday, McCollum said the office is working to determine whether it was an isolated incident.

"We'd like to believe that it is just one employee or maybe a supervisor who also was involved that made a huge judgment call mistake," he said.

Cannella said that at first, he thought defending Marshall-Jones in court wouldn't be easy. After meeting with her and hearing her story, however, he said defending her was clearly the right thing to do.

"She came and talked to me, and after I listened to her, I became interested and encouraged," he said.

'The Thousand Words Are Missing'
Cannella, who has represented other law enforcement officers charged with crimes, wouldn't talk in specifics about what happened or was said prior to the wheelchair incident.

He said that at trial he will piece together things that were said but not recorded.

"This is a picture, a video, that needs a thousand words," he said. "The thousand words are missing."

Sterner's attorney said his client denies provoking Marshall-Jones prior to the incident. Even if there had been provocation, Trevena said, it wouldn't matter.

"Verbal provocation is never a legal defense to battering an individual or abusing an individual," Trevena said. "It's not legally relevant to the acts of a detention deputy."

Cannella said his client would not speak to the media.

A former prosecutor, Cannella has handled a number of high-profile cases. He has represented former Tampa police Chief Bennie Holder on a sexual harassment complaint and Bubba the Love Sponge Clem on an animal cruelty charge.

Sterner said Friday that Marshall-Jones tried to make him stand even though he couldn't and that he was working hard to control his emotions and his actions throughout the incident.

Marshall-Jones, who was released from jail Saturday, is a good person, Cannella said.

"She's as concerned as any human being would be in a situation like this," Cannella said. "She's heartbroken."

News Channel 8 reporters Peter Bernard and Claudia DoCampo contributed to this report. Reporter Josh Poltilove can be reached at [email protected] or (813) 259-7691.

New Topics

Forum List

Back