Another view

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
I read this the other day, thought it was worth sharing. I know some here will vehemently disagree but I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just thought it was well written and contained some interesting observations.

The full article is at the link.

FOR sheer electricity, few political experiences trump listening to Barack Obama speak live to the American public at this evocative moment. That is not a comment on the new President's famous oratorical gifts. Those may be appreciated on television. It is the live audience that makes the difference. And I was fortunate to be part of this audience on Tuesday in Washington.

At this time, there seems no better, more vivid way of taking America's pulse. Obama is a preacher, and he evokes a spiritual reaction. It is the intangibles of the congregation's response that seem most instructive: the silences, the gasps, the undulating moods, the spontaneous ecstasies, the solemn expressions of agreement.

From my position among the millions who flooded the Mall at this week's inauguration, the results were surprising. Yes, there was raucous applause and cheering at each obvious juncture. Such things are habitual. But the moment when Obama moved those around me, when he unlocked their thoughts and gave them expression, was when he stopped addressing America and started addressing the world.

Co-operation can be a powerful tool | theage.com.au

I read this the other day, thought it was worth sharing. I know some here will vehemently disagree but I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just thought it was well written and contained some interesting observations.

FOR sheer electricity, few political experiences trump listening to Barack Obama speak live to the American public at this evocative moment. That is not a comment on the new President's famous oratorical gifts. Those may be appreciated on television. It is the live audience that makes the difference. And I was fortunate to be part of this audience on Tuesday in Washington.

At this time, there seems no better, more vivid way of taking America's pulse. Obama is a preacher, and he evokes a spiritual reaction. It is the intangibles of the congregation's response that seem most instructive: the silences, the gasps, the undulating moods, the spontaneous ecstasies, the solemn expressions of agreement.

From my position among the millions who flooded the Mall at this week's inauguration, the results were surprising. Yes, there was raucous applause and cheering at each obvious juncture. Such things are habitual. But the moment when Obama moved those around me, when he unlocked their thoughts and gave them expression, was when he stopped addressing America and started addressing the world.

Fucking no spine tree hugging Liberal! *Shakes fist* :rofl:

In all seriousness, good article Diuretic and thanks for sharing.

If you wouldn't mind by the way taking a look at the depression thread in the economy section and reading my last post? Like another opinion on it.

Last edited:

Fucking no spine tree hugging Liberal! *Shakes fist* :rofl:

In all seriousness, good article Diuretic and thanks for sharing.

If you wouldn't mind by the way taking a look at the depression thread in the economy section and reading my last post? Like another opinion on it.

Of course Robert - but my opinion is worth - in the vernacular - squat. But I'm learning, bit by bit.

I think you have to be a natural born American citizen to hold a valid opinion around here.

I know you didn't ask me Robert but I am going to view your post as well and give you my opinion.:eusa_drool:

I confess that I typically cannot stand to listen to political speeches addressed to the public at large.

Not from Obama, not from anyone.

I understand all too well how to move a crowd to listen to those inspiring speeches.

Show me the legislation the policies and the actions...that's where the truth of any politician can be found.

I confess that I typically cannot stand to listen to political speeches addressed to the public at large.

I understand all too well how to move a crowd to listen to those inspiring speeches.

Show me the legislation the policies and the actions...that's where the truth of any politician can be found.

That's pretty much my take on it too. Guess I've heard so many of the same type over the years that they sound mechanical and quite contrived to appeal to emotion rather than intellect.
I would much rather hear a speech designed to inform than one that inspires.

Speeches have various purposes. An inauguration speech is, I think, by its very nature a statement of intent, albeit couched in very broad terms and given the divisions in the US after eight years of BushCheney, inspiration may well have been an appropriate aim for Obama's inauguration speech. Many commentators have noted that it lacked the soaring rhetoric of his previous speeches, that's appropriate though, he has a tough job in front of him, it was best to explain the vision and explain the aspirations.

There will be other speeches from Obama that seek to achieve other aims.

Speeches have various purposes. An inauguration speech is, I think, by its very nature a statement of intent, albeit couched in very broad terms and given the divisions in the US after eight years of BushCheney, inspiration may well have been an appropriate aim for Obama's inauguration speech. Many commentators have noted that it lacked the soaring rhetoric of his previous speeches, that's appropriate though, he has a tough job in front of him, it was best to explain the vision and explain the aspirations.

There will be other speeches from Obama that seek to achieve other aims.

It has gotten to be where speeches are SO stiff, SO precisley scripted, SO formal that they may as well have a machine do it. Every word has to be so carefully crafted that when it is over I feel as if I have just been fed mush. What happened to substance ?

Speeches can be SO inspiring...that exactly why I don't trust them or listen to them.

It has gotten to be where speeches are SO stiff, SO precisley scripted, SO formal that they may as well have a machine do it. Every word has to be so carefully crafted that when it is over I feel as if I have just been fed mush. What happened to substance ?

Here I totally agree. It's like they've been written after extensive research with.............focus groups.

The greatest political speech of the 20th Century was written by a man, not an ad agency.

Speeches can be SO inspiring...that exactly why I don't trust them or listen to them.

But at least they're on record and can be used as ammo.

But a good speech should cause action. One of my favourites is Milton's Areopagitica.

It wasn't actually read, apparently in the English Parliament when Milton was a Member it was the go to distribute the speech for reading by the members but that aside, it's a tour de force by someone with a great classical education. He knew his audience. He played right to them, the speech is full of obscure classical references which only a very well educated man (no women in Parliament then) would recognise and he pitched it at their egos.

We need - in public life - more speeches, more public utterances beyond that which happen in the legislative chambers. These are times when we need to hear inspirational speeches from our leaders.

But at least they're on record and can be used as ammo.

But a good speech should cause action. One of my favourites is Milton's Areopagitica.

It wasn't actually read, apparently in the English Parliament when Milton was a Member it was the go to distribute the speech for reading by the members but that aside, it's a tour de force by someone with a great classical education. He knew his audience. He played right to them, the speech is full of obscure classical references which only a very well educated man (no women in Parliament then) would recognise and he pitched it at their egos.

We need - in public life - more speeches, more public utterances beyond that which happen in the legislative chambers. These are times when we need to hear inspirational speeches from our leaders.

I'm not saying they cannot be useful tools...

I am saying that they are useful tools to turn people into willing tools

It's just that I'm not a a tool.

Show me the reality and spare me the inspiration.

Here I totally agree. It's like they've been written after extensive research with.............focus groups.

The greatest political speech of the 20th Century was written by a man, not an ad agency.

don't leave me hanging, to what speech do you refer?

don't leave me hanging, to what speech do you refer?

American Rhetoric: Martin Luther King, Jr. - I Have a Dream

Obama has been in office a week. I think he's off to a good start.

Forum List

Back