Another TSA triumph

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I don't know about you, but this gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. The TSA finds something they think might be a bomb, takes it from the passenger, and then leaves it sitting beside the screening station for 6 hours, and never shuts down the line.

Those terrorists haven't got a chance.

It's hard to tell whether this is more terrifying or embarrassing, but thanks in part to forgetfulness and a lack of organization it took TSA screeners at New York's La Guardia Airport six hours to call in a bomb squad to deal with some suspected pipe bombs. It turns out the bombs weren't real -- they were some part of a "homeopathic medicine" kit -- but the TSA can't get away from the nagging hypothetical of "What if?" The whole affair started at 11:30 a.m. Monday. “When I saw the image, I took a step backward and said, ‘What’s that?!’ ” one startled TSA employee said, according to the New York Post's police sources. The Post also notes, "Another screener saw the objects, one gold, the other silver, and both 6-inches long with 'springs' inside, and thought they could be bombs." (The Post has images of the suspicious cylinders). TSA officials let the passenger catch his flight, but appear to have left the pipes on a radiator and then forgot them. According to CNN, "When the next shift arrived, one officer saw the items and mistakenly believed they were test objects, used to check screener proficiency." Combining both the Post's and CNN's accounts, it seems the new shift of screeners didn't call in the bomb squad until 3 p.m., and it took another couple of hours for them to arrive. TSA officials said the checkpoint was not closed, nor was the terminal evacuated, during the incident. The bomb squad was called "out of an abundance of caution," the TSA said.

The TSA Left Suspected 'Pipe Bombs' Lying Around for Six Hours - National - The Atlantic Wire

I don't know about you, but this gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. The TSA finds something they think might be a bomb, takes it from the passenger, and then leaves it sitting beside the screening station for 6 hours, and never shuts down the line.

It's hard to tell whether this is more terrifying or embarrassing, but thanks in part to forgetfulness and a lack of organization it took TSA screeners at New York's La Guardia Airport six hours to call in a bomb squad to deal with some suspected pipe bombs. It turns out the bombs weren't real -- they were some part of a "homeopathic medicine" kit -- but the TSA can't get away from the nagging hypothetical of "What if?" The whole affair started at 11:30 a.m. Monday. “When I saw the image, I took a step backward and said, ‘What’s that?!’ ” one startled TSA employee said, according to the New York Post's police sources. The Post also notes, "Another screener saw the objects, one gold, the other silver, and both 6-inches long with 'springs' inside, and thought they could be bombs." (The Post has images of the suspicious cylinders). TSA officials let the passenger catch his flight, but appear to have left the pipes on a radiator and then forgot them. According to CNN, "When the next shift arrived, one officer saw the items and mistakenly believed they were test objects, used to check screener proficiency." Combining both the Post's and CNN's accounts, it seems the new shift of screeners didn't call in the bomb squad until 3 p.m., and it took another couple of hours for them to arrive. TSA officials said the checkpoint was not closed, nor was the terminal evacuated, during the incident. The bomb squad was called "out of an abundance of caution," the TSA said.

The TSA Left Suspected 'Pipe Bombs' Lying Around for Six Hours - National - The Atlantic Wire

If the TSA is such a total failure, who exactly can keep airlines safe? The CIA? That agency is not the last line of defense against acts of terrorism. The TSA is. The CIA alone cannot possibly detect and stop every threat. The TSA, along with the CIA, are vital for national security.

Are there idiots in the TSA? Of course there is. There are idiots everywhere. However, that doesn't mean we should lose faith in the TSA altogether.

The TSA are nothing less than an arm of the growing police state. They are moving away from boarders and spreading in on America; until its total lock down.

:clap2:.

Ahh Federal employees at their finest.

don't you just love the fact that they are in a union and can't be fired for endangering thousands of lives?

gives me a warm fuzzy.

The TSA are nothing less than an arm of the growing police state. They are moving away from boarders and spreading in on America; until its total lock down.

And people think I'm paranoid.:lol:

If the TSA is such a total failure, who exactly can keep airlines safe? The CIA? That agency is not the last line of defense against acts of terrorism. The TSA is. The CIA alone cannot possibly detect and stop every threat. The TSA, along with the CIA, are vital for national security.

Are there idiots in the TSA? Of course there is. There are idiots everywhere. However, that doesn't mean we should lose faith in the TSA altogether.

Tell me something, what has the TSA accomplished? Keep in mind that they plug themselves as being able to catch fish. The TSA does nothing for national security, they do, however, fail miserably at security theater.

They were supposed to be more competent and professional than the private companies they replaced. Really, that was the argument. I'm not agreeing with it, I am just presenting it as it was sold to us.

As for 'competence' and 'professionalism' anyone who has been in situations like at courthouses and the like where the option for private vs government screeners is still open will have their own opinion about the level of professionalism shown by government screeners vs private ones. From my experience, we really badly intensely need to privatise the TSA.

:clap2:.

Ahh Federal employees at their finest.

don't you just love the fact that they are in a union and can't be fired for endangering thousands of lives?

gives me a warm fuzzy.

Why do you think they unionized?

bunch of idiots.

That this administration has not gotten the message that regular Americans are sick of being humiliated and sexually harassed at airports is testament to how out of touch they are with this country. The next president needs to clean house with these useless parasites. Maybe sub-contract security to an Israeli firm. The Israelis seem to know how to keep things safe.

That this administration has not gotten the message that regular Americans are sick of being humiliated and sexually harassed at airports is testament to how out of touch they are with this country. The next president needs to clean house with these useless parasites. Maybe sub-contract security to an Israeli firm. The Israelis seem to know how to keep things safe.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNYm2yRXRU&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL669C47A9DF4F9D7D"]Maybe yes, maybe no[/ame]

Forum List

Back