Another tpahl Badnarik thread

tpahl

Jun 7, 2004
Cascadia
Originally posted by Socrates
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I work for my dad, my income is taxed. If I don't work for him, but just wait and inherit the money, then I don't get taxed when I receive it. So, the answer to your question is that it doesn't matter how much tax the person paid before he transferred it to me. When I get income, I have to pay tax on it. (Unless I'm elitist and believe in special rights for being born into a privileged family.)

For the majority of this nations history you did NOT have to pay an income tax. I suggest we return to such a time. Elliminating the federal income tax brings us back to 1980's level spending. That is a great start...

Bush and Kerry BOTH support the IRS and income tax. Badnarik proposes we elliminate the IRS. Which would you rather have?

Originally posted by tpahl

For the majority of this nations history you did NOT have to pay an income tax. I suggest we return to such a time. Elliminating the federal income tax brings us back to 1980's level spending. That is a great start... Bush and Kerry BOTH support the IRS and income tax. Badnarik proposes we elliminate the IRS. Which would you rather have?

It seems that the United States was able to pay its debts and run a smaller government before the income tax was passed into law.

Today, the government is much larger with so many pork-barrel projects to pay for as well as pay for golden parachutes for the Congressmen and Presidents.

Most of the funds that the US government gets in its coffers are curiously not from the federal income tax or corporate taxes paid by every person and business that reports earning every year.

Does anybody have any guess as to the percent of federal income derived directly from the massive import and tariffs placed on products bought and sold to the world each day.

People tax is about 22% and the remainder is from those import and tariffs paid to the treasury every day. But with the federal income tax, our elected representatives can control the way we live, spend, live and most importantly vote. Who do we vote for, those who HAND OUT to those who vote for them.

Originally posted by ajwps
People tax is about 22% and the remainder is from those import and tariffs paid to the treasury every day. But with the federal income tax, our elected representatives can control the way we live, spend, live and most importantly vote. Who do we vote for, those who HAND OUT to those who vote for them.

Which is why the GW Bush and the Republicans do not want to end it like Badnarik does. Would you give up your favorite government hand out if it meant you never had to pay income tax again?

Travis Pahl

Which is why the GW Bush and the Republicans do not want to end it like Badnarik (????) does. Would you give up your favorite government hand out if it meant you never had to pay income tax again? Travis Pahl

Who is Badnarik?

The Russians had the KGB to control the people.

The US government has the tax to control the people.

George W. Bush is no different than his father, Bill Clinton and a myriad of previous presidents and Congresses that do not want to give up this POWER over the poeple of the United States.

The people will eventually take back their power or Americans will lose the freedom bought with the blood and bone of so many Amaericans in so many wars.

Who is Badnarik?

Thanks for asking! ;)

Badnarik is the Libertarian Party Candidate for President. He is on the ballot in over half the states already and will likely be on them all by the end of the summer.

He is considered by many to play a bigger spoiler role than Nader did last time (or this time). Of course in order for Nader to play even the slightest role in the election he needs to start getting on the ballot. Last I heard he had finally got on the AZ ballot. only 49 more to go! But enough about Nader. You asked about Badnarik... A good site to learn more about Badnarik is http://www.votefreedom2004.org/

Also feel free to donate to his campaign at the Amazon.com page [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/misc/flag.html/104-9850446-5216766?ref=gw%5Fbr%5Fxs%5Fcc[/ame]

He is well on his way to catching up to GW Bush on this page.

Travis

Originally posted by tpahl [/B]

Thanks for asking! ;)

Badnarik is the Libertarian Party Candidate for President. He is on the ballot in over half the states already and will likely be on them all by the end of the summer.

I doubt that a man named Banarik has the ability to get enough votes to get into 2004 presidential primary. The Libertarian party hasn't much chance of getting there.

But our friend Ralph Nader, Green Party, has name recognition and now is about to get all the necessary states to be a real problem for the Democrats.

see the following Congressional Report:

http://www.hillnews.com/campaign/051304_nader.aspx

George W. Bush can only lose the coming presidential race if he himself falters in the next several months. Not likely...

If the Libertarian party gets anywhere near the popularity of Al Sharpton, I will be greatly surprised.

I doubt that a man named Banarik has the ability to get enough votes to get into 2004 presidential primary. The Libertarian party hasn't much chance of getting there.

The name is Badnarik (with a D) and he has already WON the presidential primary for his party in a very close race.

But our friend Ralph Nader, Green Party, has name recognition and now is about to get all the necessary states to be a real problem for the Democrats.

He is on the ballot in ONE state last i heard (a few days ago). Badnarik is already on about 30.

George W. Bush can only lose the coming presidential race if he himself falters in the next several months. Not likely...

He is faltering all the time. Or rather he has been faltering since he took office. If you remember, he promised nto to use the military for nation building. oops. Oh he promised a smaller federal government. oops. He promised to protect the second amendment. oops.

If the Libertarian party gets anywhere near the popularity of Al Sharpton, I will be greatly surprised.

Then be surprised. He is polling way higher than sharpton has in his entire life. He has more money than sharpton got. And he he did it without lying about a rape trial to get famous.

Travis

The name is Badnarik (with a D) and he has already WON the presidential primary for his party in a very close race.

Badnarik, 49, of Austin, Texas, won 423 votes -- or 54 percent -- from delegates at the Libertarian Party's national convention in Atlanta on Sunday. Coming in second was movie producer Aaron Russo, followed by longtime radio talk host Gary Nolan. Whew, that was close alright. Your candidate could not carry more of his own party delegates but won by a close 54% of a whopping 423 Libertarian delegates.

He is on the ballot in ONE state last i heard (a few days ago). Badnarik is already on about 30.

You say you hear that Badnank is already on the ballot in 30 states. Where did you hear this news. It is not reported on the internet wire services as yet.

He is faltering all the time. Or rather he has been faltering since he took office. If you remember, he promised nto to use the military for nation building. oops. Oh he promised a smaller federal government. oops. He promised to protect the second amendment. oops.

Oops is that your professional opinion. But George Bush has started the financial and job market back up higher than during the entire Clinton period. Even taking inflation rates into consideration.

George Bush has kept further attacks from our shores and has eliminated more than 2/3rds of every Al-Quida leader in the world. Your Libertarian is an isolationist and is stating that he is willing for them to attack us again.

Then be surprised. He is polling way higher than sharpton has in his entire life. He has more money than sharpton got. And he he did it without lying about a rape trial to get famous.

Give site reference or link but omit your own personal wishes.

Badnarik, 49, of Austin, Texas, won 423 votes -- or 54 percent -- from delegates at the Libertarian Party's national convention in Atlanta on Sunday. Coming in second was movie producer Aaron Russo, followed by longtime radio talk host Gary Nolan. Whew, that was close alright. Your candidate could not carry more of his own party delegates but won by a close 54% of a whopping 423 Libertarian delegates.

54% of the delegates. There was over 800 delgates. But how many delegates is not really important. Just like other representative bodies, these delegates REPRESENTATED far more people. The fact that it was a close race does not mean that Badnarik was a weak candidate, it means that all three were strong candidates.

You say you hear that Badnank is already on the ballot in 30 states. Where did you hear this news. It is not reported on the internet wire services as yet.

www.ballot-access.org I believe is the site that I got it from. The site appears to be down right now though.

Oops is that your professional opinion. But George Bush has started the financial and job market back up higher than during the entire Clinton period. Even taking inflation rates into consideration.

You mean the financial and job markets are on their way back up DESPITE giant spending increases by the Bush administration.

George Bush has kept further attacks from our shores and has eliminated more than 2/3rds of every Al-Quida leader in the world. Your Libertarian is an isolationist and is stating that he is willing for them to attack us again.

No. He is for not doing things that will only make it easier for terrorists organizations to recruit. Bush has made terrorist recruiters jobs easy.

Give site reference or link but omit your own personal wishes.

Find me a poll that even includes Sharpton and I will give you proof.

Travis

54% of the delegates. There was over 800 delgates. But how many delegates is not really important. Just like other representative bodies, these delegates REPRESENTATED far more people. The fact that it was a close race does not mean that Badnarik was a weak candidate, it means that all three were strong candidates.

Just how many US citizens are registered Libertarians? You said Badnarik won a close race with 54% of the vote. How close to his 54% was the next Libertarian candidate?

www.ballot-access.org I believe is the site that I got it from. The site appears to be down right now though.

No but this one is working right now but gives no statistics concerning states now in the Libertarian camp as required by each state law.

http://www.lp.org/issues/

You mean the financial and job markets are on their way back up DESPITE giant spending increases by the Bush administration.

Right on the mark. Government coffer spending is no longer simply creating non-productive government jobs but now contracts to private companies for war material and American companies who hire Americans to rebuild Iraq and create jobs that pay for an economy that is growing and a Wallstreet that goes up.

No. He is for not doing things that will only make it easier for terrorists organizations to recruit. Bush has made terrorist recruiters jobs easy.

Yes George Bush has been responsible for the eliminaton of 2/3rds of the worlds Al-Qeuida terrorists and their various multi-headed organizations. Why are there no attacks against America and all the terrorists are fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanastan.

Is this due to the Libertarian party or is it because Bush has the guts to take the fight to the those who attacked us? You get one guess.

Find me a poll that even includes Sharpton and I will give you proof.

Sharpton has already backed Kerry and his wife Teresa Heinz Kerry the terrorist funding multimillionaires. There is no statistic giving any state the right to vote for a Libertarian.

Libertarian's have the same chance to get on the ballot as they have in the past.

Libertarianism is just like any other ism. It will look good written down, but it wont survive human nature or the real world forces.

I recently received the liberterians' info in the mail...on every issue I am in agreement (cause they are Republican equivocaters....basically)....except that...to join you have to sign a statement saying you believe in never attacking unless you've been attacked....an absolute that, as someone said, dies when it meets the real world...given this standard we wouldn't have fought in WW1 or 2.....it has the effect of isolationism....and the debate they had on t.v. to pick their candidate was PATHETIC...THE SINGLE WORST DEBATE I'VE SEEN THIS YEAR...EVEN WORST THAN THE DEMOCRATS' YAWNFEST DEBATES...

Originally posted by leojoeyjoe

recently received the liberterians' info in the mail...on every issue I am in agreement (cause they are Republican equivocaters....basically)....except that...to join you have to sign a statement saying you believe in never attacking unless you've been attacked....an absolute that, as someone said, dies when it meets the real world...given this standard we wouldn't have fought in WW1 or 2.....it has the effect of isolationism....and the debate they had on t.v. to pick their candidate was PATHETIC...THE SINGLE WORST DEBATE I'VE SEEN THIS YEAR...EVEN WORST THAN THE DEMOCRATS' YAWNFEST DEBATES...

Libertarianism in theory and practice evinces a self-contradictory view of man. As a result, libertarians are largely ignored both by the political classes and by average citizens.

Most libertarians believe in some version of public choice theory, which suggests that government grows because state officials: 1) want more money, power, and prestige; and, 2) spread the costs and concentrate the benefits of government (except when targeting unpopular minorities). The latter insures that citizens will not oppose government, either because they are direct beneficiaries, or because the costs of organizing people to eliminate a particular program far exceed its cost to the individual. In short, libertarians largely accept the economic model of man as a rational maximizer of personal utility.

The libertarian model of social change, however, is to convince citizens (mostly by use of logic and data) why they should oppose big government. In other words, while their explanatory model assumes that most citizens are rational maximizers, their political model assumes that people can be talked out of their own self-interest.

I'm not saying this expectation is misplaced. The economic model of man doesn't do a good job of predicting things like the American Revolution, so we shouldn't let it constrain us from hoping citizens will rise up and return their government to its Constitutional boundaries. The inconsistent libertarian model of man, however, (and more importantly, the failure to recognize it) has two very costly consequences for the libertarian movement.

First, by portraying government officials as simple-minded vote and budget maximizers, it ensures a steady drumbeat of shrill attacks that demonize agencies and officials. As a result, the choir is entertained while key audiences are alienated. This is a recipe for ensuring perpetual work for libertarian essayists and think tank wonks. It is not an effective recipe for social change.

The second consequence of not recognizing the self-contradictory libertarian view of man is that it leads to the wrong kinds of messages. If it is true that most people believe it is not in their self-interest to oppose government programs, then appealing to them with logic and data is a losing proposition. If you have concluded that it isn't worth spending five dollars to buy a ten percent chance of saving one dollar, then I won't change your mind with a math lesson. But this is precisely what many libertarians do. They focus on the cost of government, its inefficiency, its abuses -- but their own model of human behavior posits that government grows because the majority of citizens believe that the costs of opposing it outweigh the likely benefits.

Libertarians also talk about the costs of inaction (the state will grow), but have virtually nothing to say about the benefits of acting, or, more specifically, about the probabilities of winning. Remember, the economic model implies that every potential actor adjusts the perceived benefit of action by the odds that his action will produce a desired outcome. This yields what economists call an "expectation." Well, the very model employed by libertarians posits that the expected cost of opposing the state exceeds the expected benefit. Until libertarians can show that the expected benefit of action makes it worthwhile, they will not, by their own logic, persuade significant numbers of citizens to adopt their agenda.

Unless, that is, they are willing to use a language other than logic (which defeats them by their own reasoning) or rights (which is either irrelevant or easily opposed by alternately contrived individual philosophies). To borrow a phrase, libertarians need a language of poetry, as opposed to a language of calculus. There are very few decent libertarian poets, however. Most of us with an interest in politics have been buttonholed by a pedantic libertarian overly eager to set us straight on how the bastard statists are persecuting pot smokers and tax dodgers. But how many of us have had a conversation with a libertarian who can describe the encroachment of the state in a way that makes the average citizen ready to pick up a pitchfork (and not as a handy means of self-defense in case the libertarian lecturing him comes completely unhinged)? Better yet, how many libertarians have painted a compelling picture of the libertarian society?

I'm sure some of you right now are thinking "Ayn Rand!" I could be wrong, but I believe you are out of touch with human beings. I know about the 1991 survey of readers which listed Atlas Shrugged as second only to the Bible in terms of influence. What most people forget is that all of the books after the Bible were, according to the Library of Congress, a distant second. (Unfortunately, there is no data I can find on how the sample was drawn, or what the actual responses were.) In any event, Rand's portrait of utopia is most compelling to healthy young people without children, and to old curmudgeons with an overly exaggerated sense of their ability to create value.

In short, libertarians do not know how to talk to normal people. They can talk to the tech-savvy, to the politically conscious who aspire to high incomes, and to students of history who are exceedingly well-grounded in a philosophy of rights. Unfortunately, some portion of the other 99% of society must be persuaded as well. To be fair, the Libertarian Party website has essays that sound much better than listening to the typical libertarian talk. But words not spoken often matter more, and even the well-designed Libertarian Party site makes little reference to things very important to people, like community and faith. Libertarianism in practice largely consists of a homogeneous group of people talking to one another about a narrow set of things that matter most to them (legalized drugs, lower taxes), and hoping that the rest of America will wake up and elect them to office.

Libertarians can fairly ask at this point for my alternative. What, in other words, should libertarians be saying? Additional problem, which is that libertarianism not only has no viable model for taking power, it also lacks a model for maintaining power.

Forum List

Back