Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Oh yea, also running as a democratic politico:

http://www.enewscourier.com/local/local_story_096210918.html?keyword=topstory

Demo candidate accused of showing Bush-bashing video to his students

Parent says West science teacher showed eighth graders video with obscenities
By Kelly Kazek
[email protected]

Christy Jackson does not want a teacher showing her 13-year-old son a video calling the president of the United States an a—hole during class. Nor does she believe her son should be shown Internet videos — which are barred to students by school system controls —that use obscenities.

But that is what West Limestone High School eighth grade science teacher Steve White, a Democratic candidate for the District 4 seat on the House of Representatives, is accused of doing.

“My son and a group of his friends were talking about this video they had seen in school,” Jackson said. “One of the other student’s mother saw the video and she forwarded it to me. I saw it and I became livid.”

The video clip, which can be viewed at Filmstripinternational.com , shows a slideshow of images accompanied by a song called “A—hole.” The slides show President Bush, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and others in the administration. Words are typed on each image; a photo of bush in college bears the caption “A ‘bad apple’ in college.” A scene showing Rice said she was shopping for shoes after the “levee broke.”

The word a—hole is sung nine times and shown on screen 11 times; the s-word is used once and someone is shown “flipping a bird” once.

Jackson said she contacted West Limestone Principal Stan Davis, who told her White had been reprimanded.

School board member Darin Russell, whose district the school is in, said board members were made aware of the situation about a month ago.

The matter did not come before board members for discussion or a vote, but was handled by the central office by Superintendent Dr. Barry Carroll as a “personnel matter.”

Carroll, who is out of town, did not respond to a call to his cellular phone. A message was left at the central office for Assistant Superintendent Richard Leath, but an assistant said only Carroll could comment on the matter.

Two calls to Davis were not returned. A message left on White’s machine also received no response.

On Dec. 14, Carroll immediately suspended and then recommended that board members fire a school bus driver accused of using a vulgarity aboard the bus. The board did not terminate the driver.

In August of 2004, Carroll removed Internet access for teachers and students from county schools to prevent misuse and protect students. A few months later, access was returned to those faculty and staff who signed Internet use agreements and stated they would not access the Internet for personal use. Students only have access to Internet sites that are pre-approved by teachers.

Jackson spoke out about the Internet video, she said, because she did not feel White’s punishment was strong enough. She did not know specifics, but said the teacher received a “slap on the wrist.”

“I think he should admit he was wrong and he should apologize,” she said. “I’m really not out to get anybody fired, but I think a lesson needs to be learned and I don’t want any teacher showing my son anything that is not clean or related to his studies.”

Jackson said she is disturbed by both the political message and the obscenities in the video. “I don’t see what that has to do with science,” she said.

According to her son and his friends, she said, discussion in White’s science class often turns to politics.

“I know of one instance where my son was told he couldn’t leave the room without saying, ‘John Kerry rocks,’” she said. “I think my son is entitled to his opinion, just like (his teacher) is. I don’t think any issue should be forced on my son.”

New Topics

Forum List

Back