Another study predicts increased rates

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Quantum Windbag, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I love irony.

Wisconsin's Department of Health Services wanted to get a better idea of how Obamacare would impact health care and insurance costs in the state they are responsible for, so they hired Jonathon Gruber. Gruber helped craft Romneycare and Obamacare, so he is actually something of an expert. He is also a supporter of both.

What he found is that Obamacare would increase premiums by 30% over what they would be without it. He also determined that 87% of the individual market enrollees would see an average premium increase of 41%.

There is some good news in there, about 59% of those in the individual market who see an increase in premiums will be eligible for government subsidies, which means other people get to pay for those increased premiums. Yay!

PDF

I must be crazy for thinking that Obamacare is going to increase costs. Every time I turn around someone else comes out with a study to prove me right.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    Thank you for posting this.

I opened the report and found it was 56 pages.

And while I consider myself pretty good at comprehension, it became apparent that in order to really understand what is writte would require a great deal of background in this area.

There were several highlites from the report that caught my eye (and I only read through the key findings). Unfortunately, I can't bring them onto this page (or I should say I don't know how).

My intial take on things is that:

It appears that Wisc. has about 520,000 uninsured folks. Through this whole program that number will reduce to 180,000. If there was no program, it would only reduce to 460,000. This seems like a lot of work to insure this small a number of the population. While I want them to have access to insurance, I would like to know more about why they are not insured to begin with. If it is out and out to expensive, then it seems like the state could find an easier way to do this.

60% of some market (I am not sure what this means exactly)...maybe those who buy insurance themselves will be eligible for subsidies. So, in essence, premiums will go up for others (in the form of extra taxes needed to cover the subsidies.....unless Wisc is in the black, which I don't think is the case based on what Walker was claiming when he went after the unions).

Go to the top of page 5 and read the first paragraph....how are we supposed to understand this without any additional background ?

53% of the small employer group will experience a premium increase. Part of the reason is that insureres can no longer use health status (I assume that means no more premium cuts for taking care of yourself....at the same time, you don't get dinged for things you can't control).

In the end, I don't see the kinds of numbers I expected to see. This is talking about hundreds of thousands of members in a state where the population is in the millions.

If anyone can elaborate on this report in a meaningful way, I would be very interested to read what they have to say.

3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Granny says, "It gonna cost more dan peoples can afford in dis economy...
    :eusa_eh:
    Gallup: Uninsured Have Increased Under Obama and Since Obamacare Was Enacted
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - The percentage of American adults who lack health insurance coverage has not only increased during the presidency of Barack Obama, but it has continued to increase since Obama signed his signature piece of legislation last year mandating that by 2014 every American carry health insurance, according to a Gallup survey released today.

4. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Can we say "We told you so" yet?

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yeah but rates will not go up as much as they would have without Health Care Reform.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

6. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    The study, which is in favor of Obamacare, specifically refutes that point, saying that rates are going to be 30% higher with it than without it.

7. healthmyths

healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,846
    These numbers are so suspect!
    Medicaid Undercount:
    6.4 million (14 percent of the 45.7 million uninsured in 2007) were enrolled in Medicaid or SCHIP, but did not report such coverage to the Census Bureau.

An additional 4.3 million (9.4 percent) were eligible for public programs like Medicaid and SCHIP but not enrolled in them.

Non-Citizens: This figure of 9.3 million (20.3 percent of the uninsured

An additional 5 million uninsured (10.9 percent of the total) are aged between 18 and 34;

Census Uninsured Data - GOP.gov

8. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Obamacare at the top of the list for the Supreme Court to review...
    :cool:
    Healthcare tops US Supreme Court docket
    Mon, Oct 03, 2011 - Washington : Profanity on television, police use of GPS without a warrant, and the status of Jerusalem on passports are grist for the new US Supreme Court session opening today, but the main event will be US President Barack Obama’s landmark healthcare reform.

9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,289
    Weird how the status quo, which is constant enormous cost increases is ok with the ideologues who puppet corporate talking points, but all other increases are bad because they don't fit the wingnut's ideological model. Prices go up, sometimes honestly, sometimes not, seems corporate ideologues like QW only like corporate increases.

Anthem Blue Cross Raises Premiums | Common Dreams

"Anthem Blue Cross customers got a shock this week when the health insurer informed thousands of individual policyholders that their premium rates will jump as much as 39 percent on March 1."

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Oh dear. Seems you place party over reality. How embarrassing for you. Read the report - which was produced by a supporter of the Reform. Idiot.