Another Strike in the World's Most "Progressive" Country

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Hobbit, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I picked up a book of over 3,000 random facts in Book a Million yesterday and turned to the military section. All you vets will be amused by this. In the Netherlands, widely lauded as the utopian model for secular progressivism everywhere, has problems with its military. Military personell are paid on an hourly basis and are given overtime, plus extra for unsavory duties like KP and latrine duty. It has been this way ever since the military was unionized. So tell me, how many of you retired and current (I've been there so I can use these terms lovingly and without a chops-busting) grunts, jarheads, swabbies, and flyboys have gotten overtime pay or extra for unsavory duties?

2. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    So are you making fun of the Netherlands for paying their troops well or making an argument that it sucks to work for the US military?:confused:

3. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    all you have to know about the Dutch army, I saw some of their
    soldiers having dreadlocks and long hair.

No wonder they run from the Serbs. Worthless army.

4. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I've drawn hazardous duty pay (combat pay), does that count? I always thought combat was an unsavory duty.

5. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I understand some incentives - hazardous duty pay, overseas pay..etc.

But overtime? KP and Latrine duty is unsavory?

It's all about descipline and the desire to make sacrifices for your country.

If the Netherlands wants to treat their military like a retail job, so be it.

Of course, when they are really needed, we all know what they can expect.

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Does this mean I must refund my flight pay?
    Or can I charge for the overnights sitting beside a “RED” phone in case we went to War?

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I'm making fun of the Netherlands for pampering their troops. Troops should get salaries, not wages, so that when extra work has to be done, the commanders don't have to reconcile overtime with the budget. Also, latrine and KP are supposed to be a punishment used to enforce discipline and not countered with extra pay. If you're in the U.S. military, you're not there for a f*cking paycheck, you're there to defend your country. If you f*ck up, but not bad enough for a formal charges, you get KP and thank your C.O. for not giving you midnight guard duty int he middle of winter. You get paid extra for hazardous jobs, such as combat and weapons handling and disarmament, but not for 'unsavory' jobs. This makes our troops a bunch of gung-ho, dedicated, no nonsense, tough as nails WARRIORS. Unionization helps some oppressed grunt workers fight the system to get better benefits, but in the modern world, it typically makes people whiney, and the military is the last place you need a bloody union ensuring that work conditions are enjoyable to everyone. Besides, the biggest power a union has is to order a strike. When the military strikes, it's supposed to be called "desertion" and punishable by penalties up to and including death during war time.

8. Harmageddon

Harmageddon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How thoughtful of the US Army core.
    I would love to be disciplined by a higher level grunt by being forced to scrub the toilet. That way, I will respect the man who gave me the order to do so, indefinately.
    "SUCK MY BALLS, private!"
    "yes, sir! - suckle"
    "Do you like that private?"
    "I. ."
    "Did I tell you to stop sucking? Swallow, b*tch!"
    "-suckle- - - suckle - - - swallow"
    "get back in line, you worthless piece of sh*t! That was the worst blowjob I've had from a private in years! Nothing but fags and queers nowadays, are you a fag or a queer private?"

Yep.
    Respect. Goes a long way.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

I don't think that is exactly how it all works, but perhaps that is why we depend on the Netherlands for our security? :rolleyes:

10. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I once mentioned a union as a very young private, jokingly, and got the snot knocked out of me for it. Let the netherlands have thier union. Didn't they raise thier terror alert status from "don't fight" to "appease"? Or was that the french? No, I'm sorry, the french are elevated from "run and hide" to "surrender".

Unions, sheesh.