Another "stand your ground" murder

I'll wait for more facts before making a judgement.

It could be he honestly thought he saw a gun and fired in self defense, or he could be a guy who got into a yelling match that escalated until he fired 8 shots into a car of unarmed teens.

I agree, we need more information, but eight shots is an awful lot. That doesn't sound like self defense to me; that sounds like rage.

How many shootings have you been involved with?
Standard tactic is to shoot until the threat is neutralized. Maybe it took 8 shots.

I dont know enough about this case to venture a judgement. As others have said, if he can articulate that he was under reasonable belief that he was in jeopardy of death or severe bodily harm he will walk away. If he can't, he won't.

But that's for a jury to decide.

I wonder what would have happened if he had been black or the kids white.

A Florida jury decided a black man was guilty despite using Stand Your Ground when hr shot a white man dead in front of the dead man's kid:

Convicted of killing his neighbor, Trevor Dooley talks of race but not remorse - Tampa Bay Times

Regards from Rosie

Last edited:
He said the thought he saw a gun, but no gun was found or near the auto.

"Stand Your Ground" just sat down.

He better sit on his butt in prison too.

I agree, we need more information, but eight shots is an awful lot. That doesn't sound like self defense to me; that sounds like rage.

Standard tactic is to shoot until the threat is neutralized. Maybe it took 8 shots.

I dont know enough about this case to venture a judgement. As others have said, if he can articulate that he was under reasonable belief that he was in jeopardy of death or severe bodily harm he will walk away. If he can't, he won't.

A Florida jury decided a black man was guilty despite using Stand Your Ground when hr shot a white man dead in front of the dead man's kid:

Convicted of killing his neighbor, Trevor Dooley talks of race but not remorse - Tampa Bay Times

Regards from Rosie

It would be helpful if the story mentioned why Dooley thought his life was in danger...

Regards from Rosie

In Dooley's case, racism wasn't cited at the time of his arrest or in the depositions of witnesses and investigators. It was not a part of the defense's closing arguments on Monday.

The article doesnt articulate the facts in the case. Merely saying you felt threatened is not sufficient grounds for defense.
Your race card has been declined.

Regards from Rosie

It would be helpful if the story mentioned why Dooley thought his life was in danger...

Dooley brandished his gun and he and James struggled over it. Dooley claims James was trying to choke him but no other witness corroborated any chokehold. It is not clear how the gun went off...thus the manslaughter charge.

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Dooley brandished his gun and he and James struggled over it. Dooley claims James was trying to choke him but no other witness corroborated any chokehold. It is not clear how the gun went off...thus the manslaughter charge.

Regards from Rosie

He admitted in court that he pulled the trigger deliberately. I think he's screwed, and that in his case it has nothing to do with race. That said, I do understand the disproportionate way any type of crime is prosecuted, from arrests to the court system.

I read the article. It mentions George Zimmerman and Trayvon Mart tin,, they said George Zimmerman was "white" again. I've seen Zimmerman,, he's not white, he's definitely brown in color. They so called journalists slay me. What? You gonna believe your lyin eyes or what I tell you is the truff."

:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Shooting of Florida teen is no Trayvon Martin case, attorney says - CNN.com

Dunn told authorities that he had asked the teens to turn down the blaring music from their vehicle adjacent to his, as he waited for his girlfriend to return to the car.

Michael Dunn, 45, was denied bond earlier this week on the murder charge.

He heard threats from the teens, Dunn told police, he felt threatened and thought he saw a gun in the teens' car. He grabbed his gun and fired at least eight shots, authorities said.

Seventeen-year-old Jordan Davis, among the teens, was killed. There were no guns found inside the teens' car, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said.

Michael Dunn, Florida Man, Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Black Teen

His lawyer said that her client acted "responsibly and in self defense."

I'll bet the usual rw's line up to say that loud music is a capital offense and that the killer was right to kill the kid.

Surely you're not this fucken stupid.

It's Luddy, of course he's that fucking stupid.

Let me see if I have this right: Dunn is parked at a service station parking lot waiting for his girlfriend who apparently had just exited his vehicle to shop or use the rest room. Dunn has a loaded gun in the car which is readily accessible. In the interim, a car full of Black teenagers pull up beside him with loud music blaring. Dunn surmises the situation and decides he is going to provoke the teens by yelling loudly enough to be heard over the din of their loud music. Dunn probably already had his gun in hand before he yelled.

One of the teens likely reached for the volume controls on the music source to better hear what Dunn was yelling about. That sudden movement must have alarmed Dunn and caused him to panic. Thinking that the teen was reaching for a gun, Dunn raised his weapon and fired indiscriminately into the adjacent vehicle.

So , what is the lesson learned in this story? Are Black teens supposed to stop acting like teens of any race who like loud music? Some White teens can be just as obnoxious and loud as some black ones .
I wonder if Dunn would have been as quick to use deadly force against White teens under similar circumstances.

Hopefully, this incident won't cause Black men to arm themselves and counter provocateurs like Dunn
by provoking an incident, shooting first and answering questions later like he did!

I read the article. It mentions George Zimmerman and Trayvon Mart tin,, they said George Zimmerman was "white" again. I've seen Zimmerman,, he's not white, he's definitely brown in color.
Well, neither is John Boehner. He is orange but you don't question his "whiteness."

"...and what set it apart from other laws, to wit: in most other states you DO have a duty to remove yourself from a situation that looks like it is escalating, if you are able to do so."

What other states? This statement was challenged when you made it before. How about some evidence or support.

States That Have Stand Your Ground Laws - FindLaw

Many states have enacted “stand your ground” laws that remove the duty to retreat before using force in self-defense. The following is a list of states with stand your ground laws on the books. This list is limited to those states whose legislatures have gone through the process of enacting laws that specifically affirm an individual’s right to stand their ground when defending themselves against a threat. Other states may have adopted a stand your ground doctrine through judicial interpretation of their self-defense laws, but those states are not included in this list.

16 states on the list.

I do appreciate your effort but please note that the question refered to the number of states that have some form of "retreat" requirment. Not those which do not. It would also be erroneous to assume that any state on that list ever had such requirements. In my state self defence has always been considered a basic human right and the law was passed to avoid the judicial misinterprertation of the meaning of "self defence".

If not for that law, that issue wouldn't an available defense.

The lawyer is still using the same law to defend the client, and until someone uses the defense in a domestic violence case, it will not be applied for the reason it was crafted. Maybe it has...that wouldn't make national news though, would it?

I posted a case about a woman who raised the stand your ground defense when she shot her husband who had a history of abuse, and a restraining order that prevented him from entering her apartment. Even though it was in Florida, and after the stand your ground law was passed, the judge refused to let he raise it at trial. She was found guilty, and I object to that. I want that judge fired, and her to be walking free.

If that means letting idiots like this raise the issue even when it isn't warranted, it is a small price to pay.

You know youshould review the case before saying that. THe judge was right and the woman was rightfully convicted.

I did review the case.

"...and what set it apart from other laws, to wit: in most other states you DO have a duty to remove yourself from a situation that looks like it is escalating, if you are able to do so."

What other states? This statement was challenged when you made it before. How about some evidence or support.

States That Have Stand Your Ground Laws - FindLaw

Many states have enacted “stand your ground” laws that remove the duty to retreat before using force in self-defense. The following is a list of states with stand your ground laws on the books. This list is limited to those states whose legislatures have gone through the process of enacting laws that specifically affirm an individual’s right to stand their ground when defending themselves against a threat. Other states may have adopted a stand your ground doctrine through judicial interpretation of their self-defense laws, but those states are not included in this list.
16 states on the list.

There are 22 states that have stand your ground laws that are the result of either legislative action or court decisions. In addition, another 23 have castle doctrine laws that allow people to use deadly force to various degrees in any place they have a legitimate right to be.

Regards from Rosie

That it would. As it is it is impossible to form an informed opinion.

Let me see if I have this right: Dunn is parked at a service station parking lot waiting for his girlfriend who apparently had just exited his vehicle to shop or use the rest room. Dunn has a loaded gun in the car which is readily accessible. In the interim, a car full of Black teenagers pull up beside him with loud music blaring. Dunn surmises the situation and decides he is going to provoke the teens by yelling loudly enough to be heard over the din of their loud music. Dunn probably already had his gun in hand before he yelled.

One of the teens likely reached for the volume controls on the music source to better hear what Dunn was yelling about. That sudden movement must have alarmed Dunn and caused him to panic. Thinking that the teen was reaching for a gun, Dunn raised his weapon and fired indiscriminately into the adjacent vehicle.

So , what is the lesson learned in this story? Are Black teens supposed to stop acting like teens of any race who like loud music? Some White teens can be just as obnoxious and loud as some black ones .
I wonder if Dunn would have been as quick to use deadly force against White teens under similar circumstances.

Hopefully, this incident won't cause Black men to arm themselves and counter provocateurs like Dunn
by provoking an incident, shooting first and answering questions later like he did!

The only lesson I learned from your post is that you are an idiot.

I posted a case about a woman who raised the stand your ground defense when she shot her husband who had a history of abuse, and a restraining order that prevented him from entering her apartment. Even though it was in Florida, and after the stand your ground law was passed, the judge refused to let he raise it at trial. She was found guilty, and I object to that. I want that judge fired, and her to be walking free.

If that means letting idiots like this raise the issue even when it isn't warranted, it is a small price to pay.

You know youshould review the case before saying that. THe judge was right and the woman was rightfully convicted.

I did review the case.
Then you would know that her actions indicated she was not "in fear of death or severe bodily harm" and thus not entitled to use deadly force.
The conviction was justified.

The dude shot up a lot of teen for loud music? Is this legal? We can stop a lot of problems in town with that law. Quote it to me!

I did review the case.
Then you would know that her actions indicated she was not "in fear of death or severe bodily harm" and thus not entitled to use deadly force.
The conviction was justified.

The judge ruled that since she was in the garage, which had no exit since the door was not working, she was no longer in danger from her husband. Care to explain how that makes any sense?

Forum List

Back