Another School Fires Entire Staff

Firing ALL the teachers seems like a bold move, but I guess it's the trend to do it now. Just wondering if it's the right solution.

I wonder if its as much a trend, or form of last resort.

NCLB was made law in 2001.

It calls for YEARS of testing, improvement, testing, improvement, restaffing, improvement,......testing, improvement.

Eventually, after so many cycles, the only choice is burn the school down with or without the teachers inside.

I think firing them was the more humane choice.

Firing ALL the teachers seems like a bold move, but I guess it's the trend to do it now. Just wondering if it's the right solution.

It calls for YEARS of testing, improvement, testing, improvement, restaffing, improvement,......testing, improvement.

Eventually, after so many cycles, the only choice is burn the school down with or without the teachers inside.

Aren't you glad you got out of teaching then?

ATLANTA — A failing Savannah high school is firing its entire staff in an effort to avoid further sanctions from the state and to make the school eligible for up to $6 million in federal money, officials said Thursday.

The 200 employees at Beach High School — including the principal — will work there through the end of the year but will not be rehired for that school, said Karla Redditte, spokeswoman for the Savannah-Chatham County school district.

The teachers can reapply for their jobs but only half can be rehired under federal education law, she said. Staff can also apply for other jobs in the school district.

The Associated Press: Struggling Georgia school firing entire staff

Does anyone really think a new staff will turn this school around?

Don't they have NCLB to thank for this?

To thank for what, being shitty teachers or getting fired?

Regardless, I'd say they get all the credit themselves.

OK, explain to me how students with IQ's of 56 to 77 are expected to pass the state standardized tests, since NCLB (as written) had a 100% Benchmark that ALL Students would pass by 2013.

OK, explain to me how students with IQ's of 56 to 77 are expected to pass the state standardized tests, since NCLB (as written) had a 100% Benchmark that ALL Students would pass by 2013.

A 100% benchmark on ANYTHING that is a human endeavor, is unachievable.

Even Ivory soap isn't 100% pure.

Aren't you glad you got out of teaching then?

Yes, but not because I thought NCLB would jeapordise my job.

I do think its a little unfair that teachers seem to be the only public servents that are judged on performance when our military/civilian government employees are still dithering about in Iraq. We oughta fire half the Dept of Defense if we cannot defeat AND VACATE any nation we attack in 5 years, MAX, for christssakes.

First, the 100% passing by 2013 cannot possibly be a "benchmark." It is a "goal."

Next, I believe the "passing" you're referring to means "graduation rate."

Passing the State Standardized test is not a requirement for graduation. In fact, I'm not even aware of anyone failing even one subject because of their score on the state standardized test.

First, the 100% passing by 2013 cannot possibly be a "benchmark." It is a "goal."

Passing the State Standardized test is not a requirement for graduation. In fact, I'm not even aware of anyone failing even one subject because of their score on the state standardized test.

Overview and Highlights of NCLB

A state definition and timeline for determining whether a school, district and the state are making “adequate yearly progress” (AYP) toward the goal of 100 percent of students meeting state standards by the 2013-2014 school year

I don't know why my principal keeps harping on this then in staff meetings........100% of students meeting state standards, meaning they have to pass the standardized tests.

A state definition and timeline for determining whether a school, district and the state are making “adequate yearly progress” (AYP) toward the goal of 100 percent of students meeting state standards by the 2013-2014 school year

I don't know why my principal keeps harping on this then in staff meetings........100% of students meeting state standards, meaning they have to pass the standardized tests.

Well, its a requirement of NCLB.

Frankly, I be surprised if the principal of any school would focus on Special Ed kids holding the school hostage from meeting AYP. In fact, I'd be tickled pink if the ONLY kids not meeting state standards by 2013-2014 are SpEd.

Well, its a requirement of NCLB.

Frankly, I be surprised if the principal of any school would focus on Special Ed kids holding the school hostage from meeting AYP. In fact, I'd be tickled pink if the ONLY kids not meeting state standards by 2013-2014 are SpEd.

Don't even get me started on that............

And then there are the ESL kids,,,,the same thing is happening to them too.

ATLANTA — A failing Savannah high school is firing its entire staff in an effort to avoid further sanctions from the state and to make the school eligible for up to $6 million in federal money, officials said Thursday.

The 200 employees at Beach High School — including the principal — will work there through the end of the year but will not be rehired for that school, said Karla Redditte, spokeswoman for the Savannah-Chatham County school district.

The teachers can reapply for their jobs but only half can be rehired under federal education law, she said. Staff can also apply for other jobs in the school district.

The Associated Press: Struggling Georgia school firing entire staff

Does anyone really think a new staff will turn this school around?

A new staff will certainly have an incentive to turn this school around. If not, they'll be fired.

Forum List

Back