Another Rescue

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Alaska
About seven weeks ago I discovered that someone was keeping a dog in a parked vehicle near my house. Many people, including myself, were calling Animal Control to report this. But Animal Control said they had contacted the owner and verified that the dog had food and water and was sheltered in the Jeep, so they couldn't really do anything.

An organization called Straw for Dogs came and gave the guy a doghouse with straw in it for the dog, plus some toys and chews.

But then, the temps started really dropping. The dog had been in that car for at least five weeks. The owner didn't seem to come around all that often to let him out, either. Last weekend we were forecast to have colder temperatures, as low as zero degrees at night!

All Animal Control could do was issue a citation, but not save the dog from the Jeep. :(

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I started asking around and tracked down the owner and knocked on his door. I offered him a solution. Keep the dog in my garage, get Animal Control off your back. The owner of the trailer court where he recently moved in with his dad won't let him keep the dog there. He just started working a new job and is trying to get his own place where he can have the dog.

So now the dog is staying in my garage. I let him out in my yard frequently to go potty. I've even had him in my house a bit, but I have to be very careful because I already have five dogs, including two dobermans, and he is a pitbull/shar pei mix. The owner comes by a couple times a day, fills his food bowl and takes him for a brief walk.

I am hoping the guy will give the dog up so I can find him a good home. He has already mentioned that he may not be able to keep the dog.

Attachments

• $100_1381.JPG
    $100_1381.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 53
Anyway, can you just imagine this poor dog sitting in the freezing cold in this Jeep for hours and hours without a break? And this goes on for weeks and weeks and our stupid animal cruelty laws in Alaska have no teeth, so Animal Control can't really do much about it? Horrifying. We have a little more snow than when I took that picture, but the temps have been cold for the last several days...20 degrees during the day, and close to zero at night. I'm so glad I got him out of there!

Attachments

• $100_1361.jpg
    $100_1361.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 51

Forum List

Back