Another reason why I won't follow the Dr's advice

Doctors know next to nothing about nutrition too. My Doctor was shocked how I'd lost weight and my blood work had improved in just one year without medication.

I agree. One year coffee is good and the next year it is bad for you. Ingest as little over the counter or prescribed drugs as possible.

One of my grandmothers had macular degeneration too. Makes me wonder.

I agree. One year coffee is good and the next year it is bad for you. Ingest as little over the counter or prescribed drugs as possible.

There's a pill for everything and new ones hitting the market every day. They spend millions advertising the latest pill, urging us to "ask your Doctor about....."

I'm convinced a good deal of what's killing us is that cocktail of drugs circulating around in too many people's bodies.

I'm with you. I won't take anything which is to prevent something I don't even have yet. That's just using fear of death as a marketing tool and I won't buy it.

Of course, that causes my Doc to say things like, "I don't know why you bother coming to me. You're not going to do what I say anyhow." :D

Aspartame is a similar compound to aspirin and it was approved by the FDA in 1983 and it is in about 5,000 foods but especially diet drinks. If you like carbonated drinks you are better off with non-diet stuff.

There's a pill for everything and new ones hitting the market every day. They spend millions advertising the latest pill, urging us to "ask your Doctor about....."

I'm convinced a good deal of what's killing us is that cocktail of drugs circulating around in too many people's bodies.

I'm with you. I won't take anything which is to prevent something I don't even have yet. That's just using fear of death as a marketing tool and I won't buy it.

Of course, that causes my Doc to say things like, "I don't know why you bother coming to me. You're not going to do what I say anyhow." :D
I consider taking pharmaceutical cocktails to be the equivalent of being a human guinea pig.
The less, the better.
There better be a damn good reason to take a maintenance drug let alone a number of them at one time.
One can't possibly know the number of potential adverse reactions to many of these meds.

Have you ever listened to a commercial for these drugs? Take ABC drug to help with such and such problem. Then they tell you that some people may experience slight side effects like dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, cold sweats, convulsions, blindness, infertility, impotency, loss of hearing, headaches, depression, suicidal thoughts, and who knows what else. Yea, I'm taking one of those drugs. Sign me up, lmao!!!

Yeah well doctors have no clue about the human body. But there is no such thing as no risk in anything. The chances of you going blind is almost non existent.

Aspartame is a similar compound to aspirin and it was approved by the FDA in 1983 and it is in about 5,000 foods but especially diet drinks. If you like carbonated drinks you are better off with non-diet stuff.

Oh, yeah. Just a brief study of how Aspertame came to be approved for human consumption oughta scare the hell out of you. I won't touch it and have even got my grandkids looking for it in the ingredients list.

Unfortunately, with the advance of the health-Nazi's agenda toward sodas, it's likely more and more people will switch from the dangers of too much sugar to the dangers of Aspertame-induced brain lesions and various cancers.

Ah, this OP exhibits great insight into high reasoning!

This time, it's the idea that any bad possibility, no matter how remote or rare, completely negates every proven benefit.

Let me break this down for you. Healthcare is about hedging risks. Let's use some made-up numbers as an example. Say you have a 30% of keeling over dead if you don't take a drug, but you have a 0.1% chance of losing your sense of smell if you take the drug. Which do you pick?

Well, hate to remind you, but heart disease and stroke are 2 of the 3 most common causes of death in this country, and aspirin is protective against both.

Avoiding aspirin, a dirt-cheap medication, may make you think you're hurting.... someone, but you're definitely helping evolution.

"Take half an aspirin every day. Or, a baby aspirin. It might ward off heart attacks and strokes."

Then, decades later:

"Oh. Sorry. It might cause you to go blind. Hope our bad advice didn't cause you any trouble."

Aspirin Linked to Blinding Eye Disease

Um, I don't think you're supposed to take Aspirin everyday. Perhaps if you an at risk patient but even then I haven't heard of any doctors recommending that everyday. Besides doctors would recommend alternatives if you are afraid to take aspirin everyday. Besides Aspirin side effects cause gastrointestinal bleeding.....Geezus another fail thread

Last edited:
Doctors know next to nothing about nutrition too. My Doctor was shocked how I'd lost weight and my blood work had improved in just one year without medication.

What does not knowing anything about nutrition? In what sense do you mean? Are you referring to calorie to fat intake? Are you talking about losing weight? Maybe you have the wrong doctor.

Daily aspirin therapy: Understand the benefits and risks
Is an aspirin a day the right thing for you? It's not as easy a decision as it sounds. Know the benefits and risks before considering daily aspirin therapy.

By Mayo Clinic staff
Daily aspirin therapy may lower your risk of heart attack, but daily aspirin therapy isn't for everyone. Is it right for you?

You should take a daily aspirin only if your doctor advises you to do so. If you have had a heart attack or stroke, your doctor will likely recommend you take a daily aspirin unless you have a serious allergy or history of bleeding. If you have a high risk of having a first heart attack, your doctor might recommend aspirin after weighing the risks and benefits. You shouldn't start daily aspirin therapy on your own.

Although taking an occasional aspirin or two is safe for most adults to use for headaches, body aches or fever, daily use of aspirin can have serious side effects, including internal bleeding.

How can aspirin prevent a heart attack?

Aspirin interferes with your blood's clotting action. When you bleed, your blood's clotting cells, called platelets, build up at the site of your wound. The platelets help form a plug that seals the opening in your blood vessel to stop bleeding.

But this clotting can also happen within the vessels that supply your heart with blood. If your blood vessels are already narrowed from atherosclerosis — the buildup of fatty deposits in your arteries — a fatty deposit in your vessel lining can burst. Then, a blood clot can quickly form and block the artery. This prevents blood flow to the heart and causes a heart attack. Aspirin therapy reduces the clumping action of platelets — possibly preventing a heart attack.

Should you take a daily aspirin?

You shouldn't start daily aspirin therapy on your own in an effort to prevent a heart attack. Your doctor may suggest daily aspirin therapy if:

You've already had a heart attack or stroke
You haven't had a heart attack, but you have had a stent placed in a coronary artery, have had coronary bypass surgery, or you have chest pain due to coronary artery disease (angina)
You've never had a heart attack, but you're at high risk of having one
You're a man with diabetes older than 50, or a woman with diabetes older than 60

See reference: Daily aspirin therapy: Understand the benefits and risks - MayoClinic.com

Last edited:
Here is something the OP failed to mention:

Study Strengths and Limitations

"The study doesn’t prove that aspirin causes macular degeneration. Different kinds of studies are needed to understand whether aspirin may directly harm the eye.

But one theory is that aspirin ramps up a part of the immune system called the complement system. Many people with macular degeneration carry a form of a gene that keeps them from being able to turn down the complement system when needed. Researchers say the result is that the immune system may be chronically overstimulated, causing damage to the back of the eye.

But other limitations make the findings less reliable. Researchers only asked about aspirin use once, for example, at the start of the study, so people who stopped taking aspirin might have been misclassified. And only half the people who started the study were followed for the full 15 years; so it's possible that people who were motivated to stick with the research may have been more concerned about their health and eyesight in general. It’s also possible that there were other differences between the groups that the study authors weren’t able to account for."

But other limitations make the findings less reliable. Researchers only asked about aspirin use once, for example, at the start of the study, so people who stopped taking aspirin might have been misclassified. And only half the people who started the study were followed for the full 15 years; so it's possible that people who were motivated to stick with the research may have been more concerned about their health and eyesight in general. It’s also possible that there were other differences between the groups that the study authors weren’t able to account for."

Advice for Aspirin Users

For all those reasons, many researchers and independent experts agree that no one should stop taking aspirin as directed by their doctor because of this study.

/THREAD FAIL

WAY TO GO SCARING PEOPLE WITH AT RISK HEART PROBLEMS OP

Daily aspirin therapy: Understand the benefits and risks
Is an aspirin a day the right thing for you? It's not as easy a decision as it sounds. Know the benefits and risks before considering daily aspirin therapy.

By Mayo Clinic staff
Daily aspirin therapy may lower your risk of heart attack, but daily aspirin therapy isn't for everyone. Is it right for you?

You should take a daily aspirin only if your doctor advises you to do so. If you have had a heart attack or stroke, your doctor will likely recommend you take a daily aspirin unless you have a serious allergy or history of bleeding. If you have a high risk of having a first heart attack, your doctor might recommend aspirin after weighing the risks and benefits. You shouldn't start daily aspirin therapy on your own.

Although taking an occasional aspirin or two is safe for most adults to use for headaches, body aches or fever, daily use of aspirin can have serious side effects, including internal bleeding.

How can aspirin prevent a heart attack?

Aspirin interferes with your blood's clotting action. When you bleed, your blood's clotting cells, called platelets, build up at the site of your wound. The platelets help form a plug that seals the opening in your blood vessel to stop bleeding.

But this clotting can also happen within the vessels that supply your heart with blood. If your blood vessels are already narrowed from atherosclerosis — the buildup of fatty deposits in your arteries — a fatty deposit in your vessel lining can burst. Then, a blood clot can quickly form and block the artery. This prevents blood flow to the heart and causes a heart attack. Aspirin therapy reduces the clumping action of platelets — possibly preventing a heart attack.

Should you take a daily aspirin?

You shouldn't start daily aspirin therapy on your own in an effort to prevent a heart attack. Your doctor may suggest daily aspirin therapy if:

You've already had a heart attack or stroke
You haven't had a heart attack, but you have had a stent placed in a coronary artery, have had coronary bypass surgery, or you have chest pain due to coronary artery disease (angina)
You've never had a heart attack, but you're at high risk of having one
You're a man with diabetes older than 50, or a woman with diabetes older than 60

See reference: Daily aspirin therapy: Understand the benefits and risks - MayoClinic.com

What are you? A shill for big pharma?

Here is something the OP failed to mention:

Study Strengths and Limitations

"The study doesn’t prove that aspirin causes macular degeneration. Different kinds of studies are needed to understand whether aspirin may directly harm the eye.

But one theory is that aspirin ramps up a part of the immune system called the complement system. Many people with macular degeneration carry a form of a gene that keeps them from being able to turn down the complement system when needed. Researchers say the result is that the immune system may be chronically overstimulated, causing damage to the back of the eye.

Advice for Aspirin Users

For all those reasons, many researchers and independent experts agree that no one should stop taking aspirin as directed by their doctor because of this study.

/THREAD FAIL

WAY TO GO SCARING PEOPLE WITH AT RISK HEART PROBLEMS OP

Ok, great. Go ahead and take your daily aspirin (which you previously said nobody was recommending, then refuted your own post) but don't instruct the rest of us why we're wrong.

In the end, a patient's healthcare is up to him....no?

I would hardly call a dirt-cheap generic medication derived from tree bark to be "big pharma". You're so busy trying to damn the man, you're stabbing yourself in the foot.

Forum List

Back